The problem “we couldn’t update the System Reserved partition” can occur when you are attempting to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7. This issue is always related to the ‘System Reserved’ partition of the hard drive. There are other reasons why this problem occurs as well. Some of the most common causes are lack of adequate space on the partition called ‘System Reserved’. Moreover, if the C: drive does not have an Active partition, then you might encounter this problem.
Solutions to Resolve “We Couldn’t Update the System Reserved Partition” Error
This is the section of the article that provides various steps which helps you in plenty of ways to rectify we couldn’t update the System Reserved partition error.
Active Partition Modification Process of the C Drive
To alter the C Drive into an Active Partition is the easiest thing to solve the error Windows 10 we couldn’t update the System Reserved partition. To do this procedure correctly, follow the below steps carefully:
- First, tap on the both the ‘Windows + R’ keys altogether to open the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Within that dialog box, just on the right side of the label ‘Open’, there is a text box. On it, type the command ‘diskmgmt.msc’ and hit the button ‘OK’.
- This will open the ‘Disk Management’ window. On that window, go to the bottom and right-click on the C: drive to reveal a list of options in the popup menu.
- Then, from that menu, choose the option ‘Mark Partition as Active’. This will then, alter the C Drive into an Active partition of the hard drive.
- Finally, quit the ‘Disk Management’ and simply restart the computer. Once the PC boots up again, then attempt to upgrade it from Windows 7 to 10 and see if this error comes back or not.
Utilizing the Disk Management to Increase the System Reserved Partition
This point will provide you with steps on how to increase or expand the ‘System Reserved’ partition via the ‘Disk Management’ application. Below, you will get various steps in order to do this.
- First, tap on both the keys ‘Windows + X’ to open the menu options list.
- Next, locate the option ‘Run’ from that menu. This will open the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- Now, go to the previous point of this section and follow the second step to launch a new window called ‘Disk Management’.
- In this window, move to the bottom of the window and find the map of the partition. After that, right-click on the C: drive and then, from the option list, choose ‘Shrink Volume’.
- Now, for about 300 to 350 MBs shrink the C drive.
- Then, go to the partition ‘System Reserved’ and right-click on it. After that, from the popup options list choose the ‘Expand Volume’.
- On the increased ‘System Reserved’ partition put the storage space that you have taken out from the hard disc as unallocated space.
- When this is over, just reboot the computer. After the machine boots up then, attempt to upgrade it.
Use the Reliable Software to expand the System Reserved Partition
This point provides you with the steps that help you to rectify the problem we couldn’t update the System Reserved partition using reliable software. For that follow the lines below.
- First, open a web browser that you prefer. After that, search for reliable software from the internet.
- When the search is complete, then from the list of options, choose the most popular reliable software that will help you to perform the expansion of the `System Reserved’ partition.
- Now, go to the official website of the reliable application and select the Download button.
- Once the download process of this software is over, then locate the setup file and double-click on it to execute the installer.
- Follow all the points on the installer, and accordingly install the software on the computer.
- When the installation is over, then run the software. Within that application locate the C: drive and select the option ‘Move/Resize Partition’. Drag the partition of this drive and shrink it by 300 to 350 MB.
- Next, increase the size of ‘System Reserved’ partition and in it put the unreserved space that you have already shrunk on the previous step.
- After that, tap on the ‘Apply’ button to confirm the alterations and let the reliable software to complete its task.
- Once all the confirmation process is complete, restart the computer and see if this error comes back or not, when trying to upgrade the Operating System.
Delete Space on the System Reserved Partition
In this point, there will be various steps that can help you to remove the ‘System Reserved’ partition. To do that, follow the instruction underneath:
- First, go to the initial point and follow the first three steps to launch the window ‘Disk Management’.
- Within that window, locate the option ‘System Reserved’ and right-click on it. After that, from the popup options list, choose the ‘Change drive letters and paths’. This will open a new window with the same name as the option you chose in the previous step.
- Next, tap on the button ‘Add…’. Then, on the new dialog box that opens, select the option ‘Assign the following drive letter:’
- After that, tap on the drop down menu and choose the drive letter that you want to suppose ‘Y’. Then, tap on the button ‘OK’.
- Now, tap on the ‘Cortana Logo’ to open the search text area. Within this area, type “command prompt” and then, tap on the ‘Enter’.
- From the search output, locate the option ‘Command Prompt’ and right-click on it. Next, choose the sub-option ‘Run as Administrator’. This will open a new window that has a similar option as the one you chose on the last line.
- Within this window type the following commands and then after each of them press the ‘Enter’ button to run it – ‘Y:’, ‘takeown /f . /r /d y’, ‘icacls . /grant administrator:F /t’, ‘attrib -h -s -r bootmgr’. Here, change the ‘administrator’ to the username of your computer.
- Go to the ‘File Explorer’ folder on the taskbar and then, locate the ‘Y’ drive. On that folder, go to the menu bar, then ‘Show/hide’ item and put a checkmark on the option ‘Hidden items.
- Now, within this folder, choose the folder ‘Boot’ and remove all the languages from it except the ‘en-US’. Then, navigate to the ‘Recycle bin’ and click on the option ‘Empty Recycle Bin’.
- Once again go to the ‘Command Prompt’ and type the command – “chkdsk Y: /F /X /sdcleanup /L:5000“. This command will leave 50 MB of free space within the System Reserved partition.
- At last, attempt to upgrade the system.
If you cannot solve we couldn’t update the System Reserved partition error by following all the points on the previous section, then do not panic. Just, provide all the details of the problem that you have faced on the comment section at the lower end of this page.