After performing the Windows 7 update, the screen of your computer suddenly turns black with the visible program. At the same time, you can also get an error message “this copy of windows is not genuine build 7601” error. After getting all of these, you can change the background from the system properties which is the primary step. In case, this process fails, then you can go through this article which will help you out.
Reasons to Encounter “This copy of Windows is not genuine build 7601”
There are few reasons for which you can encounter this glitch. They are listed below:
- Due to some corrupted update, you can get this error.
- Secondly, if you have turned on automatic update, then also you can encounter this typical error with your device.
Fixes for “This Copy of Windows is Not Genuine” Error
Here are some instant fixes to resolve this matter. Now, try all these fixes.
Method 1: Uninstall KB971033 Update
Once you come across this error, then you need to uninstall the update KB971033 from your computer. In order to uninstall, you have to perform these steps:
- At first, you have to navigate to the Start menu.
- Find and locate the “windows update”.
- Now, you have to tap on the search result against, Windows Update under the Programs
- Click on the View installed updates which are situated on the left pane.
- Once you load all of your installed updates and you will be able to see them on the right side.
- Sifting from them, you need to find the update KB971033. Now, you have to right click on the Uninstall and you have to click on Uninstall in the contextual menu.
- Complete the Uninstallation process and after that, restart your device.
After restarting your device you have to move on to the next method.
Method 2: Reset License of Your Computer
After completing the uninstallation process, you have to reset the licensing status of your computer so that you will not be able to get this message. To perform so, try to follow these steps:
- Initially, you have to Navigate to the Start Menu.
- Now, search for “cmd” and right click on the search result.
- After that, select the Run as administrator option and launch the elevated Command Prompt. Make sure that, it has administrative privileges.
- Once it gets completed, you have to type the command slmgr -rearm and hit Enter to continue.
- Now, you will be able to see a confirmation window will open. Tap on the OK button.
- After completing all of these steps, you need to restart your computer. Once your device completes the bootup process, you will be able to see
After that, you need to restart your computer. If it boots up, then you will be able to see “This copy of Windows is not genuine” message is no longer there. In case, if you still notice the blank black background, then you have to fix it by yourself by right-clicking on it.
Otherwise, you can also use slmgr /rearm.
Method 3: Run slmgr /rearm
When you come across, this copy of Windows is not genuine error, then you can also use the slmgr -rearm command to complete this procedure:
- First of all, you need to tap and hold the Windows Logo key + R at the same time to open the Run dialogue box.
- Here, you have to type “regedit.exe” into the Run dialogue box and hit Enter to continue.
- After that, in the left pane, you need to open the directory: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > WindowsNT > Current version
- Now, in the left pane, you need to click on the SoftwareProtectionPlatform folder to see it’s contents.
- In the right pane, you have to find and right click on the kipRearm registry value and tap on it to modify it in the contextual menu.
- After that, in the modify dialogue box, you need to change the value data from 0 to 1 and tap on the Ok option.
- Once you are done with the steps, you have to exit from the registry editor as well as you have to restart your computer.
After performing all of these steps,if you come across an error message which starts with “SLMGR is not recognized as an internal or external command”, then you need to follow the alternative steps:
- Firstly, you need to navigate to My Computer.
- Now, you have to double click on the partition of the hard disk drive where you have installed Windows 7.
- Once done, you have to double click on the Windows folder.
- Now, you have to find and double click on the System32 folder.
- After completing all of these steps, you have to tap on a file which is slmgr and in the contextual menu, you have to tap on it.
- You need to rename this file to vbs.
- Restart your computer and check the error. Hopefully, it will be fixed.
Method 4: Turn Off the Automatic Update
In case, if you have enabled Automatic updates in your device, then you can also get this particular error easily:
- To perform this action, you have to navigate to the Start menu
- Locate the search bar and search for “windows update”.
- Now, you have to tap on the search result which is Windows Update under the Programs
- After completing all of these steps, you have to tap on the Change settings which is situated in the left pane.
- Under the important updates section, you need to open the dropdown menu and you have to tap on the Never check for updates (not recommended) from the list of options.
- Now, you need to restart your computer.
Method 5: Use the rsop.msc Command
Using the titled command you can also troubleshoot this bug. On that note, tryout these steps:
- At first, you have to tap and hold the Windows button and the letter “R” at the same time to launch the Run dialog box.
- Now, you need to type rsop.msc in the dialogue box and hit the Enter button to continue.
- After that, you have to navigate to the Windows settings and go to the security system and locate the system services.
- After completing all of these steps, you have to locate the plug and play services and then, you need to right click on the Automatic option.
- Now, you have to press and hold the Windows button and “R” button at the same time, as you did in the first step.
- In the Run dialogue box, you have to paste a command gpupdate/force.
- Tap on the Enter button to continue.
- After completing this procedure, you need to restart our PC.
To Sum It Up
We are almost down to the conclusion of this post. Hopefully, you are able to use the guidelines provided in this article in a proper way. If you have any further queries or you want to share your thoughts, then you can freely do that. Stay glued with us to get more of such articles to wipe out your troubles at your fingertips.