Steam disk write error is one of the most common and annoying errors faced by several gamers worldwide. This error can be very irritating for some gamers because most of them are extremely dependent on Steam for downloading their favorite games. When Steam stops running, they do not find an alternative to enjoy a better gaming experience. Due to the exceptional features of this software, users like to use Steam, even though they frequently face several other errors on their Windows Operating System.
If you are in the same condition, and unable to finish the installation or updation of any game, then nothing to get worried. Here, in this article, we are going to present some easy tips and tricks to fix the ‘disk write error Steam’ issue. Hence, you are advised to go through the article thoroughly to learn more.
What is Steam?
Steam is a software that helps the users to update or install different video games. This software is used widely across the globe. It is a most appreciated software that provides its users several functions such as multiplayer gaming, Group, and Friends group lists, Cloud services, Automatic gaming updates, voice chatting, digital rights, video streaming as well as social network services. But still, this software is normally used for gaming purposes.
You can run Steam on any Android, Windows Operating System, OSX Linux as well as other Operating Systems. It is considered as the most comprehensive software amongst various existing related services.
What Causes the Steam Disk Write Error?
It is hard to mention any particular reason behind the Steam disk write error because several users face this issue on different Operating System. And different users face this issue while installing different games. But still, there are some common things that may be the causes of this issue. Hence, have a glance at the reasons given below.
- If there is a shortage of space on your system, then you can face this error.
- Due to the bad internet connection, you can encounter this issue.
- Corrupt drivers may be the reason for this error.
- If your computer gets affected by virus or malware, then it can also be the reason behind showing this error.
Now, you are aware of the reasons for the Steam download disk write error. Match the above points with your current situation and identify the specific cause behind your issue. Now, you just need the hacks to fix this issue.
Amazing Tips and Tricks to Fix the Steam Disk Write Error on Windows 10
There are several solutions to fix this issue some of which are given below. All the methods mentioned here are tried and tested and can help you solve the disk write error Steam.
Solution 1: Change Steam Settings
Before implementing other fixes, you should try to change the settings of the Steam to check if the issue gets solved. First, you need to modify the download region.
The Steam content system is separated into several regions. The client detects the region automatically with the help of the network and set it as default. Sometimes, the server of any particular region becomes overloaded or may be going through hardware failure. Hence, if you change the download region, then it may fix the error. To perform this, you need to follow the steps given below.
- At first, move the cursor to the left bottom corner of the screen and click on the Start menu.
- Launch Steam. Then, tap on the gear-shaped ‘Settings’ icon from the drop-down menu. You will see this option on the upper left corner of the screen.
- Choose the option ‘Downloads’ from the list.
- Then, go to the ‘Download Region’ option.
- Choose other regions other than the region that you used.
- After that, you have to restart the Steam.
Now, check if the Steam disk write error is still showing or not. If the error persists, then move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Run Steam with Administrator Privileges
Now, you need to run the Steam as Administrator to check if it fixes the Steam disk write error. To perform this, you need to follow the steps below.
- At first, you have to navigate to the location where the Steam is stored. Most of the time, it is stored on the ‘C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam’ location.
- Now, you have to search for the ‘Steam.exe’ file. Right-click on it. Then, tap on the option ‘Properties.’
- Check the ‘Run this program as administrator’ box by going to the Compatibility tab to run Steam with administrator privileges.
After that, restart Steam to check whether the error has been fixed or not. If the error persists, then go to the solution given below.
Solution 3: Validate Steam
First, you need to make sure that the game you are trying to update is installed in a proper way. To confirm this, you need to verify the integrity of the game files. To perform this, you need to follow these steps:
- Open Steam. Then, navigate to the Library section.
- Now, you have to right-click on the option ‘Game.’
- Then, choose the option ‘Properties’ from the list.
- Choose the Local Files tab by going to the Properties tab.
- Tap on the ‘Verify integrity of game files’ option.
- Now, Steam will start to verify all the files. Here you need to wait for a few seconds.
After verifying the files in a proper way, you need to check whether the error still occurs or not. If the error is not resolved, then proceed to the next solution.
Solution 4: Eliminate the 0 KB File from your Computer
According to some users, they fixed the Steam disk write error by deleting the 0 KB files from the system. To remove the file, you need to follow the steps given below:
- At first, you have to navigate to the ‘C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\Steamapps \\common’ location.
- Now, scroll down the list and check if there are any 0 KB files.
- Select all of them and right click on the selected files. Choose the Delete option from the list to remove these files from the system.
- After that, you have to restart the PC to save the changes.
Now, you need to check if the error is fixed or not. If the error still persists then move on to the next method.
Solution 5: Remove the Disk Write Protection from the System
If the disc is set to the read-only mode, then it can cause the Steam disk write error while updating or installing the games using Steam. To solve this, you need to perform the steps mentioned below:
- At first, launch the Start menu.
- Type ‘cmd’ in the search field of the Start menu.
- As a result, it will show the Command Prompt. Right click on the Command Prompt.
- Choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the list to run this with administrator privileges.
- In the Command Prompt window, you have to type the commands given below. Then, hit the Enter key after each command from the keyboard to execute the command.
2nd: list disk
3rd: select disk #
4th: attributes disk clear readonly
(Here the ‘#’ sign represents that particular hard drive where the error occurs.)
- After that, you need to exit from the Command Prompt.
After this, you need to check whether the error still persists or not. If you face the same error, then perform the methods given below.
Solution 6: Update the Drivers
Drivers are necessary files that enable the hardware to interact with the software in a proper way. Sometimes, these files become outdated, corrupted, or damaged. Then, you need to update the drivers by performing the steps given below:
- At first, go to Control panel> Device Manager.
- Now, you have to navigate to the device that you want. Then, expand the range.
- Right-click on the specific device that you wish to update.
- Select the ‘Update Driver’ option from the list.
- Then, you have to choose the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option.
- Now, wait for a few seconds until Windows detects new drivers online as well as updates them.
- After that, you have to restart the system.
You need to repeat the same steps for all the installed components of the system. Then, check if the error is still showing or not. If the error persists then go to the next solution.
Solution 7: Use the Command ‘flushconfig’
Now, try to run the command ‘flushconfig’ to check if it can solve the issue. To run this, you need to perform the steps given below:
- At first, you have to hit the R and Windows key to invoke the Run Command box.
- Then, type ‘Steam://flushconfig’ in the Run Dialog box. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to run the command. Or if you prefer you can also tap on the Ok button.
- Now, it will prompt you to continue with the command or cancel. Tap on the ‘Yes’ button.
- As a result, it will restart Steam.
This command resets the Steam configuration of the system. After that, you need to check whether the error still occurs or not. If you see that the error is still showing, then go to the next solution.
Solution 8: Verify the Cache Files of Game
The Steam disk write error can also occur because of the damaged cache files of the game. Hence, you need to check if there is any damaged game file cache to utilize the Steam software without an error. Follow the steps given below:
- At first, you have to restart the system. Then, open the Steam. Navigate to the option ‘Game Library.’
- Now, you will see the ‘Game’ option. Tap on the option ‘properties.’
- Now choose the local files. Here you can check the cache of your game available on Steam by tapping on the ‘Verify Integrity of Game Cache.’
- Now, the Steam will start to verify the game files. It will take a few seconds. If you notice that the Steam components have become outdated, then you need to update it to eliminate the Steam disk write error windows 10.
After performing the steps, you need to check whether the error is resolved or not.
On the Whole
In the above guide, we have provided some of the easiest ways to fix the ‘Steam disk write error’. We hope if you implement the above methods in their respective order, then it will definitely help you to put an end to this bug. After successfully performing the above methods, if you still face any kind of trouble, then you need to connect with a tech expert. In addition, you can also share your queries and valuable feedback through the comment box given at the end of this post.