Without a doubt, Windows 10 is the most popular Operating System that is currently used by several customers. From high-end gaming to virtual reality, this OS is the best choice. However, users are likely to come across several issues with Windows 10 that can be quite annoying. Corrupt users profiles are particularly troublesome and can lead to complicated errors. Generally, on typing the password followed by pressing Enter, users receive an error message that states: “The User Profile Service failed the logon.” Also, you get to see another error code which says “The user profile cannot be loaded.” In case you are wondering why user profile service failed the sign in Windows 10, keep reading this write-up to learn some brilliant fixes.
What Causes User Profile Cannot Be Loaded Error On Windows 10?
As stated earlier, the corrupt user profiles are the primary cause behind this Windows 10 sign in issue. Again, this problem can also be a result of temporary files. Because Windows 10 may fail to the temporary user profile correctly.
There are two excellent ways with which you can resolve this Windows 10 sign in error quickly. But before that, have a look at some of the tips that you need to consider.
Necessary Precautions Before Fixing User Profile Service Failed Windows 10
Keeping a back up of your hard drive is essential. Otherwise, you might risk losing all your data during the troubleshooting procedure.
Also, you should keep a backup of the Registry itself before you start fixing the error with the Registry Editor method.
For being on the safer side, we also recommend you to reboot Windows 10 and see if that resolves the error. In case you still encounter the user profile cannot be loaded Windows 10, follow the troubleshooting procedures carefully.
How To Resolve User Profile Service Failed The Sign-in Error On Windows 10?
Go through the given methods carefully and apply them properly in the given order:
Method 1: Fix The Error By Booting Windows 10 Into Safe Mode
There are two distinct steps under this method following which, you should be able to get rid of the error.
Step 1: Boot Into Safe Mode
Basically, when Windows 10 refuses to start normally, you can boot into the Safe Mode as it starts up with no problem. Moreover, the Safe Mode doesn’t even need a lot of drivers, software or other services for this purpose.
- First, power off your PC completely.
- Now, hold the power button down for about 5 seconds. Your PC will shut down automatically; you need to repeat this at least twice untill you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
- After that, you will see Windows 10 diagnosing your PC for figuring out the issues.
- Click on Advanced options followed by Troubleshoot. Next, click on Advanced options again. Then, select Startup Settings and click on Restart.
- Then, you need to press 4 on your keyboard in order to enter Safe Mode. This will give you access without any network. Otherwise, press 5 to enter Safe Mode along with network access.
Step 2: Correct Registry Value To Fix The Corrupt User Profile
For resolving the user profile loading failure on Windows 10, you need to fix the corrupt user profile. Apply the given steps correctly for that:
- Once Windows 10 opens in Safe Mode, open the Run dialogue box by pressing Windows and R keys together; type regedit in the box and click on Enter.
- When the User Account Control prompts, click on YES.
- The Registry Editor window will pop up where you need to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. After that, select SOFTWARE followed by Microsoft. Then click on Windows NT > CurrentVersion > ProfileList.
- Click on every S-1-5 folder and ProfileImagePath entry to find out the user account.
- Once you find out the user profile whose name doesn’t end with .bak, double-click on the entry “State”. Then, change the Value data to 0 and click on OK.
- After that, you double-click on the entry “RefCount” and change its value to 0 as well. Finally, close the Registry Editor and restart your PC. Verify if the user profile error still shows up. If yes, then follow the alternative method discussed below.
Method 2: Create A New User Profile
Before you go about creating a new user account, make sure you back up the user profile. Once you are done with the backup, follow the given guideline:
- All you have to do is create a new user profile as an administrator. For that, activate the hidden admin account in the Control Panel.
- After that, invoke the Settings app by pressing Windows and “I” keys simultaneously. From the Settings window, click on Accounts.
- Next, click on “Family & other people” followed by “Add someone else to this PC.”
- You will receive a prompt to input the necessary information for sign-in. You need to click on that link which says “I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.”
- In the next step, you will get another prompt for creating your new account. In that prompt window, click on the link which reads “Add a user without a Microsoft account.”
Finally, you will get to the screen for creating the new user account. Enter your username and password and then click on Next. Restart your PC and then sign into Windows 10 with the new profile.
These easy methods should ideally resolve the “user profile cannot be loaded” error on Windows 10. For further help, consider seeking professional help in your budget.