Users generally encounter QuickBooks error 6123 while opening the company file over a network or upgrading it to the newer version of QuickBooks. This problem mostly occurs in the multi-user environment when your computer lose connection to the QuickBooks company files. So let us analyze all the possible sources of this error and apply the remedial measures accordingly.
Reasons Behind The Occurrence Of QuickBooks Error 6123
- This error can arise if the network connection with the host computer is not secured.
- You can face this error code due to corrupted QuickBooks data or program files.
- Maybe you are unaware that multiple instances of QuickBooks database are running on your computer.
- You may lose connection with the company file while restoring a backup from a removable storage device.
- The connectivity issues occur if Firewall server blocks the port necessary to communicate with the server hosting the company file.
- The computer fails to connect with the company file if the file is opened in a new QuickBook version.
- The problem often happens because of damaged QBW files.
Easy Ways To Resolve QuickBooks Error 6123
Move your way down to the given solutions and find a proper way out:
For Single User Setup
1) Rename ‘.ND’ and.’TLG’ Files
- Open the folder containing your company file and choose the ‘.ND’ file.
- Right-click on that file and select ‘Rename.’
- Then add ‘.old.’ at the end of the file name and click on the ‘Save’ button.
- Repeat the same step to rename the ‘.TLG’ file as well.
2) Set Proper Folder Permissions
Setting Permissions in Windows 7 or Windows Vista
- At first, find out the folder containing the company file, right-click on it and select ‘Properties.’
- Go to the Sharing tab and then click on the ‘Share’ button to open the ‘File Sharing’ window.
- From the drop-down list select each user that requires access to QuickBooks and click ‘Add.’
- Select ‘Read/Write’ under ‘Permission’ level and tap the ‘Share’ button to close the ‘File Sharing’ window.
- Go back to the ‘Properties’ window and click on the ‘Security’ tab.
- After that, navigate to the ‘Group’ or ‘username’ section and hit on Edit’ button.
- Choose the ‘QBDataServiceUser22 User’ and check the ‘Full Control’ box for ‘Permissions.’
- Click ‘OK” to save the changes and close all windows.
Windows XP Professional
- Right-click on the folder containing your company file and click on ‘Properties.’
- Choose ‘Share this folder’ option and select ‘Everyone’ for ‘Group’ or ‘Usernames’ section.
- Now check the box for ‘Full Control’ to allow permissions to everyone.
3) Move Company File To A Different Location
It is essential to move the file to another location to check whether the file path is the main source of this issue or not. So open the folder, right-click on the company file and select ‘Copy.’
Then right-click on your desktop and create a new folder to copy the company file to it.
4) Create A New Window User
- Search for Control Panel in the search box and open the Control Panel window.
- Now tap the ‘User Accounts’ icon and choose ‘Create a new user.’
- Then choose ‘Administrator’ as the user type and log out of the current user.
- Restart the computer and log in to the new user account.
- Move the company file to the desktop and try to access the company file from there.
A Multi-User Setup
1) Rename ‘.ND’ and ‘.TLG’ Files
- Open the folder that contains your company file and choose the ‘.ND’ file.
- Now Right click on the ‘.ND’ file, choose ‘Rename’ and add ‘.old.’ at the end of its name.
- You will need to repeat these steps to rename the ‘.TLG’ file as well.
- If this method has solved the issue, then you won’t have to face any difficulty in opening QuickBooks Desktop Company file.
Re-scan Company file using Database Server Manager
For Windows 10 and 8 users
- Stop the Database Server process and open Task Manager from the search box.
- Click on ‘More Details’ and choose ‘Details.’
- Then locate QBDBMgrN.exe, right-click on it and select End Task.
- You will need to repeat these steps until all instances of the QBDBMgrN.exe stop.
- After that, you can close the windows and exit from Task Manager.
On Windows 7
- Press ‘Ctrl+Alt+Delete’ on the keyboard to open Task Manager.
- Go to the ‘Process’ tab and click on the image name.
- Right-click on the QBDBMgrN.exe and select End Task to end all its instances.
- When the process is over, exit from ‘Task Manager.’
Restart QuickBooks Services
- Type ‘services.msc‘ command in the ‘Run’ window and hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- Choose ‘Name’ to sort the entries alphabetically from the Services window
- Then right-click on the convenient service for your QuickBooks Desktop Version and then tap the ‘Start’ button to activate the process.
- After completing the process, close the Services window.
Re-Scan Company Files
- Type ‘QuickBooks Database Server Manager’ in the search box and press ‘Enter.’
- Now open QuickBooks Database Service Manager and browser for the location of the QuickBooks company file.
- Then tap on the ‘Scan’ button to scan the company file.
- Close QuickBooks Database Server Manager and now see whether you can open the company file or not.
Configure Firewalls And Antivirus Ports
Windows 10, 8, 7, Server 2008 and Server 2012
- Open Window Firewall from the Start menu and click on Advanced Settings.
- Now right-click on ‘Inbound Rules’ and select ‘New Rule.’
- Then click on Port and hit the Next button.
- Select TCP and write in specific ports needed for the year version of your QuickBooks.
- Click on the ‘Next’ button, make sure that ‘Allow the Connection’ option is selected and tap on ‘Next’ again.
- Select a name for the rule and click on ‘Finish’ to end this process.
- Repeat the same step for the Outbound Rules also. Only choose ‘Outbound’ instead of ‘Inbound’ in step 4.
- Finally, attempt to access QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode.
Reset Hosting Settings On QuickBooks
- Open your Company File and select ‘Switch to user mode’ option.
- Now click on the file and select ‘Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.’
- Go to ‘Utilities’ tab and select Host Multi-User access.
- In the end, click on ‘File’ menu and select ‘Switch to Multi-User Mode’ option.
1) Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Search for Control Panel in the ‘Run’ box and open it.
- Click on ‘Programs and Features’ and select ‘Uninstall/Change.’
- Act according to the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
2) Rename QuickBooks Desktop Installation Folder
- Download ‘QuickBooks Clean Install Utility .exe,’ read the License Agreement and click on the ‘I Accept’ button.
- Select the version of your QuickBooks desktop and click on ‘Continue.’
- If you get a message that QuickBooks is ready for a clean install, then click on ‘OK’ to install it to the default directory.
3) Update QuickBooks
- Visit the ‘Download and Update’ page of QuickBooks and select your QuickBooks product.
- Then select the correct version, click on the ‘Search’ button and tap on ‘Get the latest updates’
- Click on ‘Save/Save File’ to start downloading the updates.
- After finishing the download, double-click on the downloaded file to install the updates.
- Wait until the installation is over and then restart the computer.
Now you will be able to open your company file without any hassle and won’t face QuickBooks error code 6123 again.