Amazon introduced the highly advanced and intelligent Echo Dot devices equipped with their own AI assistant, Alexa. With these devices, you can control your home appliances, play music, movies, set alarm, get weather and traffic updates. Moreover, you can also fetch various information from the web as per your choice.
Although these Amazon devices are smart and efficient, they are not free from technical issues and errors. If you use Echo Dot devices, then you must have come across the 10:2:17:5:1 error message at least once. This is quite a common error message that any Echo Dot user can encounter. Thankfully, there are simple troubleshooting tips using which you can easily get rid of this error.
About Error 10:2:17:5:1
When you face this particular error message, it signifies that you’re unable to register your device with the Amazon account. To put it in other words, this error means that Alexa’s server is not allowing you to register the Echo dot device.
Causes Which Led to This Error:
This error can take place for a variety of reasons. Before we proceed to the solutions for fixing the error code in question, let’s have a look at some of the potential scenarios that can lead to this error:
- One of the most common reasons behind this error is an unstable or inactive Internet connection.
- This registration issue can pop up mostly when you are attempting to set up the Echo Dot device. If the device is registered with someone else’s account, then you may face such registration errors.
- If the Echo Dot is a gift, then it might happen that the purchaser has forgotten to mention that it’s a gift. Due to this, the device must have been assigned to his or her account.
- You may also face the registration issue if the Echo Dot device is lost on the Amazon servers. This can happen if you buy the device from any third-party vendor.
- Also, if the device you bought is reported ‘Undelivered’ on Amazon, then you can face issues with the registration and the setup.
- Sometimes, using a previously owned second-hand Echo Dot device can also lead to error 10:2:17:5:1.
- Location issues can also be a potential factor behind this error to pop up. You must use the device in the country that you have purchased it in. For instance, if you buy the Echo Dot in India and use it in the US, then you may face registration errors.
- Keeping the Echo Dot inactive for more than a year may also lead to registration and setup issues.
- Hardware issues can also trigger error 10:2:17:5:1.
Quick Steps to Resolve Echo Dot Error 10:2:17:5:1
If you are not able to register your Echo Dot device to your Amazon account, then it is as good as useless. To fix this issue and eliminate the error in question, you can go through the following steps:
For a Gifted Device
If you are facing this issue on a gifted Echo Dot device, then you need to approach the person first. Thereafter, ask him or her to de-register their account from the device.
Here’s how to de-link the account from your device:
- At first, access the Alexa app and log into it. Then, click on the ‘Settings’ option and choose the device that has to be de-registered.
- Now, choose the ‘De-register’ option. Thus, the gifted device will be delinked and de-registered from the person’s account who gifted it.
- When the other person de-registers your account, provide your details to register the device once again.
For a New Device
In case you are facing the registration issue on a device that you have purchased yourself, then you need to follow these tips:
- At times, the registration issues can take place due to server issues from Amazon’s side. In such a situation, you need to wait for some time and then attempt to register on the device once again.
- Restart the Echo Dot device and the router device.
- Make sure to check the Dos settings on your router device. To do so, first, log in to your router device and reach the Settings page. Thereafter, click on the ‘Network’ tab and then click on the ‘Advanced Settings’ option. Now, go to the ‘WAN Setup’ option and then check the ‘Disable Port Scan and Dos Protection’ option. Finally, press ‘Apply’ and restart the router device.
- You should always avoid buying the Echo Dot device from any third-party store or supplier.
- Also, you must use the same ID to register the Echo Dot device that you used for buying the device from Amazon.
For the Devices that have been Inactive
When you keep an Echo Dot device unused for a long time, the firmware and the software becomes outdated. The device fails to function and develops a wide range of technical issues. Here’s how you can successfully avert error code 10:2:17:5:1:
- At first, you need to download and install the latest version of the Amazon Alexa app on your computer or smartphone.
- Thereafter, when the app gets successfully installed, launch it and then click on the ‘Menu’ option. Now, go to the ‘Settings’ option.
- After this, choose your Echo Dot device from the list. Finally, select the ‘Alexa Device Software Update’ option.
Once the software is updated, register the device with your Amazon account using the authentic account details.
How to Avoid Error Code 10:2:17:5:1 in Future?
There are certain precautionary measures that you must follow so that you do not have to face this error at all in the future:
- Place the Echo Dot within 8 feet of the router device.
- If you are using any proxy server or Virtual Private Network, then you must disable them all of them at once.
- Ensure that there is no interference from other electrical devices.
- Always use the latest version of the Alexa software and firmware.