Avast is a well-known free antivirus for computer users and it offers really good performance. But sometimes, it is unfortunately impregnated with some minor problems. Generally, this problem occurs due to improper Windows services configuration. Also, outdated Avast is another main cause of this error. So, if you are getting this warning message “Avast background service is not running” then don’t panic. There are so many ways by which you can easily solve the problem. From our research, we have simplified all the steps so that, you can understand easily.
How to Solve if the Avast Background Service is not running
In this section, we are going to discuss some useful methods to solve the problem. You just read it and follow the instruction properly. Hope, you can easily solve if your Avast background service is not running:
Method 1 – Run AvastEmUpdate.exe
In this step, at first, you have to open the File Explorer and then, navigate to the following directory path that is C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\. Now, find and run AvastEmUpdate.exe file. Once you are done with the process, you have to reboot your PC to check the problem is solved or not.
Method 2 – Update Avast
Sometimes, this problem occurs due to outdated Avast. So, if you are facing such problems then you need to check if any updates are available or not. To perform this task:
- You have to launch the Settings app and then navigate to Apps option.
- Now, go to the Apps & Features option.
- After that, on the right panel, you have to look for Avast Free Antivirus and click on it.
- Then you need to select the Modify button.
- Once done, the UAC dialog box will appear.
- In this box, click Yes to continue.
After doing all the above steps, find and click select the Update button in the Avast application window. Now, you have to reboot your computer and in this way, the problem will be resolved.
Method 3 – Re-install Avast
If the previous method didn’t work out then you have to try this method. In some cases, if you can re-install Avast, then you can easily resolve such problems. In this step, firstly, you have to uninstall the older version of Avast from your computer.
- To do this, you need to open the Settings option and go to the Apps.
- Here, you have to select the Apps & Features option and then on the right side, find the Avast Free Antivirus.
- After finding, you have to select the Uninstall option.
- Now, go to the Web browser and from the official Avast website, download the newest version of Avast.
- After that, you have to install the downloaded file.
When the installation process is done, you have to check the problem is resolved or not.
Method 4 – Modify & Repair Avast
If you are still getting the problem, then you have to modify your Avast to resolve the problem. At first, you have to launch the Settings app and then, navigate to the Apps option.
- Now, select the Apps & Features option.
- On the right panel, look for Avast Free Antivirus and click on it.
- Then you have to select the Modify button.
- After that, the UAC dialog box will open to you.
- Now, you have to select the Yes option to continue.
- In the Avast application window, locate and click on the Repair button.
Once you are done with the process, you need to reboot your computer to complete the process.
Method 5 – Set Startup type to Automatic
If the problem still appears, then you need to configure startup type to automatic.
- In this step, you have to go to the search bar from the Start menu and type services.msc.
- After that, from the list, you need to select the Services option to open.
- In the Services window, find the service named as Avast Antivirus.
- Once done, double-click on it and then Avast Antivirus Properties window will open to you.
- Now, you have to go to the Startup type ‘section” and set it to Automatic.
After doing all these things, reboot your computer and check the problem is resolved or not. If you are still getting the problem, then follow the next method below.
Method 6 – Disable the Avast Shields Control
This is another handy method that we are going to explain briefly.
- At first, right-click on the Avast icon which is available in the system.
- From the context menu, you have to select Avast Shield Control and then, choose the “Disable until Computer is restarted” option.
Once you are done, you need to restart your computer. In this way, you can easily solve the problem.
Method 7 – Uninstall XNA on Your Computer
This is the final method that you can try if Avast background service not running Windows 10. In this step, you have to make sure that you are logged in with an administrator account.
- Now, click on the Start menu and type “control” in the search box to open the Control Panel. Alternatively, if you are using Windows 10, you can select the gear icon in order to open settings.
- In Control Panel, choose the “View by Category” option at the top right corner and then, under the Programs section, you have to select the Uninstall a Program.
- Once done, you should locate XNA in the Control Panel or Settings and select the Uninstall option. There may be different versions installed like 4.0 or 3.1.
After that, you have to confirm it and follow the instructions which will be showing on the screen in order to eliminate it from your computer completely. Once you are done with the process, restart the computer and check the problem is resolved or not.
So, these are the most effective ways to solve if the Avast background service is not running properly. Hope, you can easily understand all the above methods. Still, if you are getting the error, then we suggest you opt for an expert’s help for further assistance.