The 0x80244007 error code can come up on the Windows machine while you attempt to update the Operating System. Basically, after the inspection of any updates available for OS, when it tries to install those, then you might get this problem. When you see this glitch, then the update process stops until you resolve the problem. There are various reasons due to which you can get confront this problem. Some of the common causes are if the storage is full of junk files, then there is a chance for you to face this problem. Further, if some components of the Windows Update become corrupted, then also this glitch can show up. Further, if the information within the folder ‘Software Distribution’ becomes corrupt, then this problem can crop up. Follow this article to eliminate the risk at the earliest.
Ways to Resolve the Windows Update 0x80244007
In this section, you will get the essential points, which provide you with various steps that can help to solve the problem 0x80244007.
Remove the Contents within Software Distribution Folder
The Software Distribution is a directory or folder in the Windows that contains temporary files to install the Windows Updates on the computer. This folder is present within the Windows directory. If any files get corrupted due to some reason, then you can encounter this problem. Therefore, to rectify this glitch the only solution that you have is to delete all the data within this folder. Follow the lines below in order to do it.
- First, tap on the ‘Cortana Logo’ present on the taskbar. This will open the search box of the Windows.
- Within this search box, type the text “command prompt” and hit the ‘Enter’ key to look for it on the system. Next, from the search output, locate the option ‘Command Prompt’ and right-click on it to choose the ‘Run as administrator’. This will launch a new window with a black background that has a similar name as the option you chose on the last line.
- On this window, type the following commands and press on the button ‘Enter’: “net stop wuauserv”, “net stop bits”. Both of these commands will stop the ‘Windows Update Service’ and another one is the ‘Background Intelligent Transfer Service’.
- Now, go to the desktop and open ‘This PC’. Then, within the address bar type the following path – “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution”. This will take you to that folder, where you have to delete all the requisite contents. To do that, simply hit both the keys ‘Ctrl + A’ to choose all the files, then tap on the ‘Delete’ key to remove them.
- Go to the ‘Command Prompt’ window once again and type the following commands to restart the services that were stopped on the third step – “net start wuauserv”, “net start bits”.
- Finally, restart the system in order to re-establish the contents that you had removed on the fourth step and see if this problem comes back or not.
Execute the Disk Cleanup Tool
If all the junk files are not removed from the machine, on time then, due to some corruption within those files can lead to this problem. Now, to eradicate Windows Update error 0x80244007, you must run the Disk Cleanup tool. In order to do it, follow the sentences underneath.
- First, tap on the combination of ‘Windows Logo + X’ to open the Menu options. Once it opens up, then locate and choose the option ‘Run’.
- Once the ‘Run’ dialog box opens up, then beside the label ‘Open:’ type the command that follows in the text area: “c:\windows\SYSTEM32\cleanmgr.exe /dX”. Here ‘X’ is the drive letter, which you wish to clean.
- A new window will come up with the heading ‘Disk Cleanup for (C:). In this window, there is a list of files which you wish to remove.
- From that list choose those files and at last, tap on the button ‘OK’.
- Finally, a message box will come up where to remove all the junk files that you have chosen already, just press the ‘Delete Files’ button. Wait for the process of removal to complete.
Run the Built-In Windows Update Troubleshooter
To rectify the error 0x80244007, the easiest solution is to execute the default Windows Update troubleshooter. This troubleshooter helps to automatically find and eliminate any kind of errors in relation to the Windows Update. For that to happen, follow these steps beneath.
- First, hit the combination of ‘Windows Logo + R’ keys simultaneously to launch the ‘Run’ dialog box. Next, within that dialog box, just on the right side of the label ‘Open:’, enter the following command on the text area “control panel” and hit the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, a new window opens up that has the same name as the command you wrote on the text area, present on the last step.
- Within that window, go to the ‘Search’ area present on the upper right corner of the screen. There type “troubleshooting” and press ‘Enter’.
- After that, from the result of this search, tap on the option ‘Troubleshooting’. This will open a new page, inside this window. On that page, locate the option ‘System and Security’. Under it, choose the link ‘Fix problems with Windows Update’.
- Another new window will come up, there move to the bottom left corner and then, select the ‘Advanced’ link. After that, choose the link ‘Run as administrator’. This will once again launch the troubleshooter in Administrator mode.
- Then, tap on the button ‘Next’, which initiates the troubleshooting process of the Windows Update. If it gets any glitch, then the solution to correct this error present, follow the prompts on this window to correct it.
- Finally, when the error rectification process gets over, then close the window and restart the computer.
Perform the Windows Update
After troubleshooter for the Windows Update has been executed on the previous point, now, attempt to perform the update of Windows in the normal way. In order to do that, follow the below steps.
- First, navigate to the extreme right corner of the taskbar and beside the ‘Time and Date’, choose the ‘Notification’ icon. This will open up the notification area, where choose the option ‘All settings’.
- When the new window called ‘Windows Settings’ opens up, then move to the bottom and select the category ‘Update & Security’. This will open a new page within this window, then tap on the button ‘Check for updates’.
- As soon as you click this button then, the Windows Operating System will automatically look for any new updates available or not. If updates are present, then those will be downloaded automatically and put on a list.
- Once all the modules are downloaded, then at the top of the list choose the ‘Update All’ button. Now, there will be a ‘Restart Now’ button at the bottom of the list, there choose that button to initiate the reboot process.
- When the computer boots up, then the installation process of all updates will start automatically. This process takes some time to complete.
- Lastly, when the installation gets over, then attempt to inspect whether this problem pops up or not.
Use the System Restore Feature
When not a single point mentioned above is able to resolve the Windows Update error 0x80244007, then the only feasible solution is to restore the system back to a “working” state. How to perform the ‘System Restore’ is given below.
- Go to the initial point, and then follow the first step to open the search text area.
- Within that area, type in the “system restore” and tap on the ‘Enter’ key. After that, from the output of the search, choose the option ‘Create a restore point’.
- This will open a new window called “System Properties”, where navigate and then, choose the tab ‘System Protection’.
- Under this tab, choose the button ‘System Restore…”. This will open a new window, where select the ‘Next’ button.
- Now, a new page will open on this window, where you will get various restore points within a list. From that list, choose a restore point before this update occurred.
- Next, at the bottom of this window, tap on the ‘Next’ button.
- At last, on the last window with the heading ‘Confirm your restore point’, just choose the ‘Finish’ button to initiate the restoration process.
- Once the restoration procedure is over, the computer will boot up with the restore point that you have chosen.
If you get this problem 0x80244007 even after following all the steps mentioned in the previous section, then do not worry at all. Just, provide the details of the query that you have faced on the comment section below.