CenturyTel or CenturyLink is a leading telecommunication service provider. It offers high-speed Internet services, VoIP and email accounts to business and regular customers.
An email account is automatically created when you sign up for CenturyLink email services. You can access it for different purposes on CenturyTel using a web browser. No additional steps or setup is required to access your account with a web browser.
However, to use its webmail services using a desktop email client like Windows Mail or Outlook, you need to configure your account first.
Hence, you need to know how to set up your CenturyTel.net email account for your desktop email clients.
How to Set up CenturyTel.net Email Accounts?
By setting up your Centurytel account to a desktop email client service, you can access multiple email addresses at a time without opening multiple tabs in a browser. On the other hand, you can also edit, compose, and send emails directly from your desktop client services.
To set up your CentureyTel account for different desktop email clients like Outlook, Windows Mail or Thunderbird, follow the steps down below.
On Windows Mail
In order to set up and access your webmail account using Windows Mail follow the steps down below.
- First, in your computer open Windows Mail desktop client and click on the “Email” option from the “Account” section.
- In the required fields provide CenturyTel email address and its password. Select “Remember this password” option for this email. After that enter a display name and select the “Manually configure server settings” checkbox. Once done press “Next”.
- On the next screen, from the server type drop-down menu select the “POP3” option. Also, in the address field under Outgoing Server information, you need to enter “smthpauth.centurytel.net”. Enter 587 in the Port field as well.
- Thereafter, mark the “Requires authentication” checkbox option under the outgoing server field. Next, enter “pop.centurytel.net” in the incoming server address field. In the port field of incoming server, enter 995 and mark the checkbox for “Requires a secure connection (SSL)” option.
- Finally, in the username field, enter your complete email address. Then click on Next and Finish buttons to complete the setup.
If you want to access your webmail content from any location, create a copy of your mails. To keep the copies of your mail in the Windows Mail, take a look at the steps:
- First, select the “Accounts” option from the “Tools” tab. Then select your CenturyTel email account.
- Now, open the properties of your CenturyTel account and click on the “Advanced” option.
- Click on the checkbox to select the “ Leave a copy of messages on the server” option.
Once you select the checkbox, click OK to exit. Now in your Windows Mail, copies of your mails will be created and they can be accessed from any location.
In Microsoft Outlook
To set up and access your webmail account using Microsoft Outlook, here are the steps:
- First, open Outlook email client and navigate to the “File” option. Click on the “Info” tab on the screen to open a drop-down menu.
- Next, find the “Email” tab and click on the “New” option. Thereafter select the radio button placed next to “Manually configure server settings or additional server types” option. Press the Internet Email option and click Next.
- Now, enter your name and CenturyTel email address and select POP3 as the account type from the drop-down menu. Also, enter “smtpauth.centurytel.net” in the space for the “Outgoing Mail Server” option.
- Then enter your username and password for your CenturyTel email account in their respective fields. Click on the “Remember Password” option to automatically login to your account. After that, navigate to “More Settings” and click on the tab of “Outgoing Server”.
- Here, mark the box beside “My outgoing server(SMTP) requires authentication”. Also, do the same for “Use same settings as my incoming mail server” option. After that, move to the “Advanced” tab and type 995 in the Incoming server(POP3) field.
- Select the checkbox next to the option that requires an encrypted connection. Thereafter, change the Outgoing server port number to 587. Then, from the encrypted connection drop-down menu, select the TLS option.
Based on your preference you can mark the checkbox next to “Leave a copy of messages on the server” option. Enabling it will allow you to access mail contents from different places. Also, Outlook won’t delete your mails from the server and will keep a copy of your downloaded emails instead.
Finally, to complete the setup successfully, click on Next and then Finish. Now you can access your CenturyTel webmail services through the Microsoft Outlook without any problem.
On Mozilla Thunderbird
To set up and access your webmail account using Mozilla Thunderbird, follow the steps down below.
- First, select the “File” tab after opening Thunderbird and click on the “Existing Mail Account” from the “New” option.
- Next, enter your name, email address, and password, then press “Continue”. Make sure to mark the option to remember your password.
- On the next page, select the “Manual config” option. In the POP3 incoming server, enter “pop.centurytel.net” and 995 in the Port field. Thereafter, in the outgoing server enter smtpauth.centurytel.net and type 587 in the Port field.
- After that, enter your complete CenturyTel email address in the Username field and press “Re-test”.
- Finally, after entering all the necessary fields, click on the “Create Account” option to successfully complete the setup process.
Note: If you want to keep the copies of your mails, then follow the steps discussed below:
- First, click on the “Tools” option from the Thunderbird main menu.
- Then select the “Account Settings” and find the “Server Settings” in it.
- Now under your email account name, mark the checkbox next to the “Leave messages on server” option.
Once done, click on OK to successfully enable copies of your mails to stay on your server.
We hope with this guide, you know how to set up CenturyTel.net email account with your desktop email client services.