A repeater bridge (also known as the range extender) helps you to extend the range of wireless network by rebroadcasting the wireless signal coming from the primary router. You just need to turn on the Linksys WRT54GS inside the repeater bridge with a proper reset of the router. Also, you can do that after updating the firmware, creating a static IP address, modifying the router settings and eventually setting the IP address of the computer. However, this task is arduous and time taking, and henceforth only the advanced users should opt for it. Go through this informative content to know how to set up a Linksys router WRT54G ver 6 as a WiFi extender.
Step by Step Method of Resetting the Router
Go through the below step by step guideline regarding how to set up a Linksys router WRT54G ver 6 as a WiFi extender.
Reset the Router
You need to insert the power adapter into the secondary WRT54GS and wall outlet.
You need to press the Reset button present on the backside of the router with the tip of a sharp object like a pencil. After that, hold it for about 30 seconds.
Detach the adapter from the router. Then you should continue holding the Reset button for near about 30 seconds. After that, release the Reset button.
You need to open the browser and then download the DD-WRT firmware package. After that, store the file in your desktop.
Enter 192. 168.11 into the address bar and hit Enter. The router configuration page appears.
You need to press the Administration tab present on the top of the page. After that, choose the Firmware Upgrade submenu tab.
Press the Browse button and move to the DD-WRT file which you have downloaded on the desktop.
Hit on Upgrade. The installation of the firmware should not get interrupted. You need to wait for sometime, and after that reset the router.
Keep a Static IP Address
To set up a Linksys router WRT54G ver 6 as a WiFi extender, you should maintain a proper IP address.
You need to link the secondary WRT54G router with the computer with the help of an Ethernet cable.
- Hit the Start button and then press Control Panel.
- After that, double click on Networking and Internet option.
- Then choose the Networking and Sharing Centre.
- After that, you need to highlight the active network connection and hit Enter.
- You can view a dialog box.
Upon pressing the Properties button, a new dialog box pops up on the screen.
Then you need to highlight Internet Protocol and then press Properties. You will find a new dialog box.
Choose the option entitled Use the following IP address. Next, provide values such as IP address, Default gateway, as well as the Subnet mask into the specified fields. Then press OK in order to save the new settings. Now, shut down the dialog box.
Modifying Router Settings
Follow the steps below to know how to set up a Linksys router WRT54G ver 6 as a Wifi extender by modifying the Router Settings.
You need to open a browser. Enter 192.168.11 in the address bar and hit Enter. You will find the router configuration page on the browser.
Press the Setup tab available on the top. Then choose the Basic Setup submenu present beneath.
- Press the Connection Type drop-down box and click Disabled.
- Next, choose Disable for the STP option.
- After that, choose Disable for the DHCP Server option.
- Then provide 192.168.1.1 as per the Local DNS.
- Moreover, enter the details like IP Address, Subnet Mask as well as Default Gateway fields.
- Hit the Save option available at the bottom of the page.
Press Wireless tab present at the top. Then choose Basic Settings sub menu beneath that.
- Now press Wireless Mode present at the drop-down menu and choose Repeater Bridge.
- Then press Wireless Network Mode from the drop-down list and choose the same setting like the primary router. If the primary router implements Mixed signals, choose Mixed for the secondary router. Provide the name in the Wireless Network Name(SSID) field. After that, press Save option present at the bottom of the page.
Move down to the Virtual Interface part of the page and hit Add button. Now you will find the virtual interface option.
- Enter Bridge in the Wireless Network Name(SSID) field.
- In order to start Wireless SSID Broadcast, you need to choose Enable option.
- Then choose Disable in order to perform AP Isolation.
- Choose Bridged in order to configure the Network settings.
- Finally, hit the Save button present at the bottom of the page.
Press Wireless Security sub menu present at the top.
- Choose WPA Personal as the Security Mode setting.
- Then you need to provide values into WPA algorithms, WPA Shared Key as well as Key Renewal Interval fields just like the primary router.
- Eventually, tap the Save button present at the bottom of the page.
You need to click the Setup tab on the top of the page. After that, choose the Advanced Routing sub menu present below.
You need to select Router in order to enable the Operating Mode section.
Now, select the Security tab present at the top. Then choose Firewall submenu which is present below.
Now you need to delete the check marks present at the side of all the options except Filter Multicast. Choose Disable for SPI Firewall. Now press Save present at the bottom.
You need to detach the router for about 30 seconds. Then reattach it. Secondary router will now obtain signals coming from the primary router and act as the repeater.
You need to access the computer’s TCP/IP properties. Choose Obtain an IP address automatically. Press OK in order to save the settings.
Hopefully, this article gives you a comprehensive overview of how to Set up a Linksys router wrt54g ver 6 as a Wifi Extender. By following the above steps you can easily set up the Linksys router as a range extender.