If you use the Windows beta version then high CPU usage on Windows 10 is a regular issue. Basically, Modern Setup Host(SetupHost.exe) is a self-extracting archive and installer. It is located in C:$Windows.BTSources folder.
You can locate this problem after updating the Windows versions or after running the setup file of upgrading the system to Windows 10.
Modern setup host runs in the background with the user account’s privileges. Thus, you get an error message “Modern Setup Host eating up high CPU usage”. Here, you will get the solution for resolving this particular error.
[Step-by-Step] Modern Setup Host High CPU Usage Fixed
You can resolve the error for the modern setup host disk usage with the following fixes that are given below.
Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
If you use Windows 10 then you can run the Windows update troubleshooter but in case of Windows 7 or 8, you need to download it from Microsoft.
For Windows 10 Users:
If you are a Windows 10 user then you can follow these steps for running the Troubleshooter.
- At first, you need to press the Windows button from the keyboard to open the Start menu. Then, you need to type the word “Troubleshooter” in the search box.
- Now, after selecting the Troubleshooter, you need to click on the Windows Update to run the Troubleshooter.
- Then, you need to check if it is able to detect the error or not. If you do not find anything marked as “Not fixed” then you should go for the next method.
For Windows 7 or 8 Users:
If you have Windows 7 or 8 then you can follow these steps to fix the error:
- At first, go to the official website of Microsoft and download the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool.
- After downloading, double-click on it to run the Troubleshooter. Then, choose the option Windows Update to proceed.
- Now, check if it detects an error or not. If you do not find anything marked as “Not fixed” then move to the next method.
Use the DISM Tool
You can use the DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) tool to fix the modern setup host high CPU usage. You can follow these steps to run the DISM tool.
- Open the Start menu by pressing the Window key from your keyboard and then type the word, in the search box, ‘cmd’.
- Then, right-click on the Command Prompt to choose the menu “Run as administrator”.
- Then, you need to type the following command to continue.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleaning-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleaning-image /Checkhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Clean-image /Restorehealth
Once you type the commands then check if the Modern setup host error exists or not. But, if you still get the error then move to the next method.
Performing a Clean Boot
You can perform a clean boot to resolve the interference of the background programs. It may fix the error for the modern setup host high disk. Take a glance at the steps given below:
- At first, you need to press the Windows and R key together to get the Run box. Then, you need to type the word ‘msconfig’ and press the Enter key.
- Now, you need to uncheck the ‘Load startup items’ going to the General tab in System Configuration.
- Then, you need to tick the checkbox beside “Hide all Microsoft services” by going to the Services tab and therefore, click “Disable all”.
- Then, you have to select the Open Task Manager by going to the Startup tab.
- Now, select the Task Manager from the Startup tab and right-click to disable the “Every startup item”.
- Then, go to the Startup tab again and select Ok.
Now, you need to restart your computer. Once the system reboots, you can check for the error. But, if it still exists then go to the next method.
Erasing the Items in Software Distribution Folder
If you are using Windows 10 then you will get a Software Distribution Folder that is an important part of Windows Update. It stores temporary files that may interrupt the Windows Update process. So, you can follow these steps to delete those temporary files:
- Press the Windows and R key together to get the Run box. Then, you just copy and paste the following command and press the Enter key to proceed.
- Then, you need to press the Ctrl + A key together to choose the items in the Software Distribution Folder. Now, right-click on that folder for deleting the items.
- Then, you need to select “Do this for all current items” to continue. Therefore, restart the computer rebooting.
- Now, you can check if there exists any modern setup host high CPU usage issue or not.
Checking the Default System Language
You need to check the System Language on your PC and set it to the Default System UI language. Otherwise, Windows update may get into trouble and cause for the modern setup host high CPU usage.
So, check if the system language is the same as the installed language or not. If not, then you may follow these steps given below:
- At first, you need to press the Windows key from the keyboard to get to the Start menu. Type the word ‘cmd’ in the search box.
- Then, right-click on that for choosing the “Run as administrator” option. Therefore, you need to type again “dism /online /get-intl” to check the default system language.
For Windows 10 Users:
If you are using Windows 10 PC then you need to follow the steps given:
- Press the Windows and I key together to get to the Settings window and then click on the “Time & Language” option.
- Now, select the menu “Region & Language” to check the system UI language. If it is set to any other language then you need to set it to the “Default system UI language”.
For Windows 7 Users:0
If you are using Windows 7 then follow these steps.
- Press the Windows and R key together to get the Run box and type the word “Control” to proceed.
- Then, choose the option “View by Large icons” and select the menu “Region and Language”.
- Now, you can check if you have the default system UI language or not. If not, then you have to set the language.
Disabling Windows Update Option
You can disable the Windows Update option to resolve the modern setup host disk usage error. Take a glance at the following steps to disable Windows Update.
- Press the Windows and R key together to get the run box and then you need to type “services.msc” in the search box.
- Then, you will get the Open Services window and you need to right-click on Windows Update to choose Properties.
- Then, you need to set the Startup Type as Disabled, under the General tab. Now, you need to click Stop and then visit the Recovery tab.
- Now, you must be sure that you have set the First Failure to “Take No Action”. Then, you need to select Apply and then press Ok to continue.
You can choose any of the above methods to resolve the modern setup host high CPU error. But, if you find your computer is still not working effectively after resolving the error then there may be some other technical error on your PC.