Windows Update error 80070002 is one of the general problems which is encountered by Windows users. Generally, it occurs when the system’s date and time are set incorrectly. Sometimes, you can see this error message when the system is fully infected due to the malware or antivirus. If the third party antivirus is installed on your device it can also cause this problem. Moreover, if the Windows files or registry files are corrupted, then you can face this problem. Windows users have reported that they see this error message while updating the Operating System on their system and immediately they want to solve this issue. If you are a Windows users and face a similar issue, then this article will definitely help you to overcome this update error. Here in this guideline, you will see the possible solutions to get rid of this problem.
Prominent Solutions to Resolve Windows Update Error 80070002
Restarting the system to resolve this problem is considered to be the most basic solution. At first, restart your device and then, check whether the Windows update error 80070002 persists or not. If Yes, then you need to follow the undermentioned solutions to troubleshoot this problem.
Solution 1 – Disable the Third-Party Software
This is one of the most reliable solutions that can help you to resolve this problem, that is to disable the third-party software. To turn it off, follow the steps:
- Double click on the third-party antivirus application to open it.
- When the third-party antivirus window opens, go to the Settings section.
- In the Settings tab, click on the Disable option. Now, the antivirus is turned off.
After disabling the antivirus, check if the problem is still there or not. If the problem is still there, then you can simply uninstall the third-party antivirus. To do that:
- Press the Windows Home Button along with the X key to open the menu list. Select the Settings. Alternatively, type ‘Settings’ in the Search panel and then, hit the Enter button.
- In the Settings window, go to the ‘Apps and Programs’ tab.
- When that tab opens, find the third-party antivirus and select it.
- Click on the Uninstall option. Now, the system will start the uninstallation process.
- Once it gets complete, restart the system.
Solution 2 – Restart ‘wuauserv’ and Rename SoftwareDistribution
By restarting ‘wuauserv’ and renaming the SoftwareDistribution can fix the Windows update error 80070002 on the system. To do so follow the directions mentioned below:
- Press the Window key and S key to open the Search box, type ‘cmd’ and then, right click on it to open the list. Select the Run as Administrator option. Alternatively, press the Windows key and X key to launch the menu list. Choose the Command Prompt(Admin) option.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands and then, hit the Enter button after each command.
- net stop wuauserv
- ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution softwaredistribution.old
- net start wuauserv
- Once it is executed, restart the system and then, try to go through the update process.
Solution 3 – Restart the Windows Update Services
Sometimes, restarting the Windows update services can help you to resolve the issue that you have encountered. So, you need to restart the Windows Update Services by following the steps given below:
- Firstly, click on the Start button to open the menu list. Select the Control Panel. Alternatively, press the Window key and R key to launch the Run box, type ‘Control Panel’ and then, hit the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- In the Control Panel window, locate the Administrative Tools section and double click on it.
- When the Administrative Tools section opens, click on the Services.
- Next, put the password or give permission when prompted.
- Click on the Name column heading.
- Sort names in reverse order.
- Next, scroll down the page and locate the Windows Update service, right click on it.
- Select the Start option. Now, you will find the restart process has started.
- Once it is finished, close Administrative Tools window and Services window.
- Reboot your device and then, check whether the problem has been resolved or not.
Solution 4 – Check the Date and Time Settings
If you do not set the date and time properly, then you can see face the problem during the update process. So, you have to check if the date and time are properly set or not. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Go to the Search panel, type ‘Control Panel’ and then, press the Enter button.
- In the Control Panel window, click on the “Date and Time”.
- Then. click on the “Change date and time” option.
- Now. set the date and time and then. click on the Apply option. Then, click on the OK option.
Solution 5 – Run the System File Checker Tool and Rename the ‘Spupsvc’ Folder
If the previous solutions fail to help you to fix the Windows update error 80070002, then you can use the SFC tool to resolve this problem. To complete this solution, follow the directions carefully:
- Press the Win and X keys to launch the menu list. Choose the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
- When the Command Prompt window opens, write ‘STC/scannow’ to run this command and then, hit the Enter button.
- Once it is done, close the Command Prompt window.
- Then, again, press the Windows Home button and R together to launch the Run box.
- Write the ‘cmd / c ren % systemroot%\ System32\ Spupsvc.exe Spupsvc.old’ and then, press the Enter key or click on the OK option to run it.
- Once it completes, restart the system and then, try to update Windows.
Solution 6 – Run the App Troubleshooter
An alternative solution that can help you to fix this problem is to run the Troubleshooter application. Follow the undermentioned instructions:
- Firstly, open the Start menu list by clicking on the Start icon.
- Select the Control Panel.
- When the Control Panel window appears, double click on the Troubleshooting tab.
- Click on the ‘View all’ option, on the left panel.
- Choose the Windows Store Apps and then, click on the ‘Run App Troubleshooter’ option. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the run process.
- Once it is completed, restart the system. After doing this, if the problem is still there, then you can go for the next one.
Solution 7 – Modify the Registry Editor
When you face this problem, you have to modify the Registry Editor. Follow the steps cited hereunder:
- From the keyboard, you need to press together the Windows logo key and R key to open the Run dialog box.
- Write ‘regedit’ and hit the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- In the Registry Editor window, navigate to the: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade.
- Choose the OS Upgrade key, then right-click on the white space to open the menu list.
- Select the New option, then click on the ‘DWORD (32-bit) Value’.
- Next, right-click on the newly created ‘NewValue#1’ to launch the menu list and select the Modify option.
- Then, change the value name to ‘AllowOSUpgrade’, after that set the ‘Value data’ and enter ‘1’. Mark the Hexadecimal and click on the OK option to save the changes.
Solution 8 – Turn Off Proxy Connection
If the proxy connection is turned on, then you can face this problem. So, you need to turn off the proxy connection properly. To do so follow the steps which are mentioned below:
- Open the Internet Explorer application
- In that application, go to the Menu section.
- Select the Tools tab, under the menu list.
- Then, click on the Internet Options.
- Next, click on the Connections tab.
- In the Connections tab, click on the LAN settings, then unmark the ‘Use a proxy server for your LAN box’ to disable it.
- Hit the Enter button or click on the OK option.
These solutions, that we have provided, can help you to resolve the Windows Update error 80070002. Hope, this article could help you resolve the error, at the earliest, that you have encountered during the updating process. In case, if the problem still persists, then you need to take expert help.