While you try to install a program into your system and come across an unexpected error message, “Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004” do not fret. Moreover, you may come across the Windows Defender Error while you want to upgrade an application to the latest version. It decreases the CPU cycle and blocks the memory space and create frequent errors.
Major Symptoms Of 0x80004004 Error
Some of the common symptoms you may encounter while Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004 appears on the screen are as follows:
- The active program becomes unresponsive and the installation process gets stuck after a certain time.
- The system starts to freeze on a frequent basis by crashing the background running apps automatically.
- Web pages with the active browsers start to crash and the hardware fails to give a real-time response.
Fix Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004:Troubleshooting Steps
There are lot of solutions to remove the Windows Defender error effectively. Moreover, the following steps will be helpful to avoid the possible external Windows Defender error without any hassle.
Check Internet Connection
Sometimes, a slow internet connection causes installing and updating error. Moreover, sluggish internet connectivity fails to establish a secure connection. Therefore, the following method is the basic step to avoid this irritating issue.
- Make sure that the Ethernet cable and backbone is not defective. If any wires and cables are attached with it and is found defective, immediately replace them.
- If you find any port of the Ethernet is damaged, then repair it as soon as possible to avoid further trouble.
- In case of the Wireless connection, check the strength of the Wifi signal. If it shows a poor signal or connection fluctuates on a frequent basis, modify the Network Settings. If you see still the problem persists, contact your ISP to overcome the internet connection issue.
Run Windows Troubleshooter
Windows troubleshooting is the most effective step to resolve any Windows error. So, you may try out the steps given below and overcome the Windows Defender error easily.
- Press Windows key from the keyboard and type “troubleshooter” in the search box.
- Hit the Enter key and launch the Windows Troubleshooter window.
- Choose View All from the resultant screen.
- Tap on the option Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Next, follow the on-screen instruction and troubleshoot the error files as well as keep the system performance stable.
- Once done, restart the system and check whether the Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004 persists or not.
Remove Junk Files
Using the system for a long time easily accumulates the junk files. Therefore, it leads to the internal conflicts of the device. Moreover, it affects the disk space also and create update errors.
- Press Windows key from the keyboard and type “cmd” in the search box.
- Right-click on the Command Prompt and choose the option Run As Administrator.
- Now, enter the correct login credentials such as the Admin username and passcode to sign in the Command Prompt in Admin mode.
- Next, tap on the Yes button to confirm the login process.
- Now, type “cleanmngr” and press the Enter key to run the command.
- The Clean manager tool will start to run after a certain time and calculate the occupied memory spaces on the hard disk.
- Select the check boxes and remove all unnecessary files.
- Now, tap the OK to confirm the cleanup process. Once done, try to reboot the system and remove the Windows Defender error effectively.
Update Device Driver
Device driver plays a crucial role in communicating between the system and the application programs. So, an outdated or damaged driver causes this Windows Defender issue and decreases the system performance.
- Type “devicemgr” in the search box from the left side of the taskbar and hit the Enter key to open the Device Manager window.
- Here, you will get a list of hardware devices which you have already installed into your system. Choose the device which you want to upgrade. You may choose one by one or choose a specific one for updating.
- Right-click on them and choose the option Update Driver from the pop-up menu one after another.
- Tap on the Yes button and confirm to driver upgrade steps. It will take several minutes to complete the task.
- After finishing the process, finally, restart the PC with the normal mode successfully and verify Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004 issue is resolved.
Enable the Windows Defender Service
Set the Windows Defender Service in the automatic mode. It is one of the best ways to fix Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004. To activate the service properly, you may follow the steps below and avoid all Windows Defender Service associated problems.
- Open the Cortana and right-click on it. Choose the option Run as Administrator and launch it.
- Click on the Services tab and enter a passcode, when the login window prompts on the screen.
- Click Continue to confirm the process.
- Tap on the Windows Defender Service from the resultant service window.
- Double-tap on the Service and open its Settings page.
- Now, turn the Settings to the Automatic from Disabled format.
- Next, click on Apply and OK tab respectively to save the new changes.
- Once done, reboot the System and verify whether the error code 0x80004004 appears on the screen or not.
Run System File Checker
A corrupted system file causes this annoying issue. Moreover, an incomplete installation of the file creates this Windows Defender related issue. To overcome this vital issue, you can run the System File Checker in the Command Prompt.
- Click on the Start button and open the Start menu.
- Type “cmd” in the search box and press Enter to launch the Command Prompt.
- In the resultant window, type “sfc/scannow” and press Enter key to run it.
- It will run automatically and identify the bad file sectors. The entire process will take a few minutes to complete.
- When done, reboot the PC and resolve this annoying Windows Defender issue easily.
Perform Disk Check Utility
The built-in Windows Disk Check Utility tool helps to remove the unexpected Windows Defender error effectively. This is a synchronized way to repair the disk damage issue and enhances the system performance as well.
- Open the Command Prompt in Admin mode.
- Now, type the command “chkdsk” and enter the drive name (C: or D:). After that type “/f/r/x” and hit the Enter to run it. The drive will be free from unexpected issues and remove them accordingly if necessary.
- The entire process will take 5-6 minutes and when done, it will show a successful message.
- Now, restart the Device successfully and run an application program to check whether the same problem appears again or not.
Run System Restore
Removing of a file linked with the System file that leads the basic operation of the computer can generate the Defender issue very often. Sometimes, missing of setup files of an application creates problem while you try to update it to the latest version.
- Tap on the Start button and choose the Settings option(gear icon) from the resultant menu.
- Choose the Recovery icon and it will launch another window.
- Select System Restore from the resultant window.
- After that, choose a perfect date while the system was working in a good condition.
- The tool will start to run and restart the device automatically once the whole process is completed.
Disinfect Virus-Infected Files
Malware, spyware, etc harmful virus corrupt the system files and other application programs. It creates multiple copies of the unnecessary files and infects other files under the same folder. Without removing the malware, you won’t able to fix Windows Defender issue permanently.
- Download a system security software and install it appropriately.
- Double-click on the antivirus icon and launch the security software Settings window.
- Now, click on the Scan tab or Scan for virus option. You need to choose either a Full Scan or Quick Scan.
- However, it will take several minutes to identify the malware infected files.
- When done, you must click on Disinfect option to remove the virus infected files and folders.
- Finally, restart the system and fix Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004 efficiently.
Re-install Pending Updates
Sometimes, pending updates create updating and installation error. Therefore, the display shows the error 0x80004004 and prevents all the tasks what you want to perform on your device.
- Click on the Start button and open the Search box.
- Now, type “update” and open Check For Updates option.
- Here, you will get a list of recently installed and partly-installed application programs.
- Choose the ‘Uninstalled updates’ option.
- Right-click on the pending updated programs one by one.
- Choose the Update option and remove pending update error quickly.
- When done, restart Windows and check whether the Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004 fixed or not.
From the above article, you can get an idea on Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004. Moreover, it helps to identify the core problematic factors that save the system from the external harmful effects. Moreover, we have discussed some of the effective solutions that will fix the Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004 easily. Furthermore, it improves system performance by increasing the CPU cycle. We hope this context will be beneficial for all the Windows users especially for the non-tech-savvy person to solve the installation error.