While you try to start the Windows Defender services on your system, you might get the Windows Defender error 577. It is one of the most general causes that most of the Windows users have faced. Generally, this issue occurs when the third-party antivirus application is installed on your system. In most cases, If your system is configured for user group policy, Windows Defender may be restricted by Group Policy settings. Moreover, the problem might be caused by a corrupt registry file. Sometimes, if you are using an older version of the operating system, then also it causes this error.
If you currently experience Windows Defender errors, then this article might help you to resolve the Windows Defender service error 577 on your system. We have provided various methods that the users use to eliminate this problem from your Windows 10 PC.
Relevant Methods to Troubleshoot Windows Defender Error 577 on Windows 10:
By restarting your system, sometimes you can resolve the Windows Defender error 577 on your Windows 10 system. So, firstly, you should restart your device and then check if the problem is still continuing or not. If it is there, then follow the methods in the section below.
Method 1 – Uninstall the Third-Party Antivirus
This is one of the most reliable methods that can help you to resolve this problem. You need to simply uninstall the third party antivirus application on your system. Follow the directions mentioned below:
- Press the Windows Home button along with the I key to launch the Settings window. Alternatively, go to the Search box, type Settings and press the Enter button.
- In the Settings window, go to the Apps and Programs section, select it.
- Find the Third-party antivirus application, select it.
- Click on the Uninstall option.
- Once it is done, restart your system and check whether the Windows Defender works properly without any problem.
Method 2 – Change your Registry
By changing a few values in your Windows registry, you can overcome the Windows Defender service error 577on your Windows 10 system. To update your registry, follow these tricks:
- At first, press the Windows Home button + R key together on your keyboard to open the Run box.
- Write regedit in the Run dialog box and then hit the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- In the Registry Editor window, go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender key in the left side panel.
- When the Windows Defender folder opens, find the DisableAntiSpyware and DisableAntiVirus DWORD, double click on it.
- Then, set the value from 0 to 1.
- Click on the Save option to save the changes.
- After doing that, reboot your device.
Method 3 – Change the Security Permissions in your Registry
Sometimes this issue can appear due to your security permissions in the registry. To resolve the Windows Defender error 577, you must modify the security permissions of some keys in the registry. To modify the security permissions, follow these directions which are mentioned below,
- Press the Win + R keys to launch the Run box. Type regedit in it and then click on the OK option or press the Enter button.
- When the Registry Editor window opens, move the cursor to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft key in the right side panel, select it.
- In the Microsoft section, find the Windows Defender folder, right-click on it.
- Select the Permissions option from that list.
- Click on the Advanced option.
- Then, click on the Add option.
- Now, click on the ‘Select a principal’ button.
- Go to the ‘Enter the object name to select field’ section, type your user name and click on the Check Names.
- If your user name is correct, click on the OK option.
- In the Principle section, you will see your username.
- In Basic permissions tab, mark the Full Control and then click on the OK option to save the changes.
- Click on the Enable Inheritance option.
- Then, click on the Apply option and at last, click on the OK option.
Method 4 – Restart the Security Center
By restarting the security center, you can easily eliminate Windows Defender error 577 from your system. To execute this method, follow the under mentioned steps:
- Open the Run box by pressing the Windows key and R key together.
- Type services.msc and then press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- In the Service Information window, scroll down the page and find the Security Center, right-click on it to open the list.
- Select the Restart option.
- After restarting your system, check whether the problem is fixed or not. If the problem is still there, then you need to follow the next one.
Method 5 – Update the Operating System
An alternative method that you can use to fix this problem on your system is by updating the operating system. Follow the steps given below:
- Press the Windows key and I key to open the Settings window.
- In the Settings window, move the cursor to the Update and Security section, select it.
- In the left side panel, go to the Update tab.
- Click on the Check for updates option.
- If the update is available, then click on the Update option.
- Once it completes, restart your system and check whether the problem has been resolved or not.
Method 6 – Create a New User Account
If your user’s account is corrupted, then you can face this problem. So, you have to create a new account to fix Windows Defender error 577 on your system. To do so, follow the directions which are mentioned below:
- Press the Windows key and S key to open the Search box. Type settings and then hit the Enter key.
- Then, go to the Accounts section.
- Choose the Family & other people and tap on the Add someone else to this PC.
- Now, click on the ‘I don’t have this person’s sign-in information’
- Then, select the ‘Add a user without a Microsoft account.’
- Enter the name and click on the Next option.
- Once it is created, check whether the Windows Defender works properly.
If the problem is resolved, then you can use this account for your personal purpose and delete the previous account. Before deleting the previous account, you must move your personal documents and files to the new account.
Method 7 – By Using the Command Prompt
After performing the above methods, if the problem still there, then you can use this method to remove this problem from your Windows 10 system. Follow the steps carefully:
- Press the Windows key + X key to open the Menu list. Choose the Command Prompt (Admin) option from that list.
- Type SFC/scannow in the Command prompt window and then press the Enter key.
- Once it is executed, reboot your device.
Hope this article will help you to solve all the troubles which are related to Windows Defender error 577. All the above-mentioned steps are very useful to resolve this problem on your system. If still the error persists on your system, then get in touch with a technical expert to get rid of this error.