It is one of the common issue that you face with the Error code: (0x80073712) in your Windows 10 PC. Many users have reported that they have seen this error code while using their Windows device. After you install the Operating System on your computer for the first time, you may receive an 80073712 error message on Windows 10. This means that the Operating System cannot successfully update the application on your device. Sometimes, this issue occurs when your system is fully infected due to the viruses. If you are one of them, then in this article you will learn the basic methods that can help you to resolve this issue.
Effective Methods to Troubleshoot Windows 10 Update 0x80073712
Sometimes, restart the system can fix this issue. So, at first, you have to restart your device. After restarting the device, check whether the problem is fixed or not. If the problem is still there, then follow the methods below which will help you to fix this issue. Check out.
Method 1- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Every Windows has a in-built Troubleshooter tool. With the help such a tool, you can easily fix this issue. Check the under-mentioned points:
- At first, open the Control Panel. Alternatively, go to the search panel, type ‘Troubleshooting’ and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- In the Control Panel section, navigate to the Troubleshooting section.
- When the Troubleshooting section opens, you will find the ‘Fix problems with Windows Update’ option, click on it.
- Now, your system will start the troubleshooting process. Wait for the few minutes to complete the process.
- After completing this process, you have to try again to update it and check if the problem is fixed or not.
Method 2 – By using the DISM Tools
DISM is an integrated Windows tools that can be used to spread Windows images. This often solves many issues with the several aspects of Windows and can help you to fix this issue. This is a very powerful tool. If you make a mistake while you run it, then it can cause problems. So be careful using it.
- In the beginning, go to the search box, type cmd. And then, right click on the search result to open the list. Select the Run as administrator. Alternatively, press the Windows Key + X key to open the menu list. Select the Command Prompt (Admin).
- When the Command Prompt window opens, type the following commands, Command 1- DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image/Scanhealth, Command 2 – DISM.exe. /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. After typing each command press the Enter key.
- Once the run is completed, restart your system. After restarting, again run the Windows update and see it should fix the problem that you have an encounter.
Method 3 – By using the Command Prompt
If the previous methods do not help you to fix this issue, then you can try this method. The points highlighted below give you the precise pprocess whcih you can go through:
- Press the Windows Key + X key to open the menu list. Select the Command Prompt (Admin).
- As the Command Prompt window opens, type ‘sfc/scannow’ to run this command and then hit the Enter key.
- Once the run completes try to update the Windows and check if the problem persists.
Method 4 – Manually Reset the Windows Components
Sometimes the corrupted the Windows components can cause this error code. To manually reset the Windows components you can easily fix this issue.
- Firstly, open the Command Prompt (Admin). Alternatively, you need to go to the search box, write cmd. And then right click on the search result to open the menu. Then choose the Run as administrator from that menu list.
- In the Command Prompt page, write the following commands and then hit the Enter key after typing each command. Type:
The first command – net stop bits
Second command – net stop wuauserv
Third command – net stop appidsvc
Fourth command – net stop cryptsvc
Fifth command – ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Sixth command – ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
Seventh command – net start bits
Eighth command – net start wuauser
Ninth command – net start appidsvc
Tenth command – net start cryptsvc
- Then, close the Command Prompt and reboot your system. After rebooting your system, you can see that the error code does not exist at the time of updating your Windows system.
Method 5 – Restart Windows Update Services
Try this method to resolve this issue.
- At first, press the Windows Home key and R key together to launch the Run box. In the run box type ‘services .msc’ and then, hit the Enter key or the OK option.
- In the service window, you will find the Windows Update option, right click on it to open the menu. Now, select the Properties.
- In the Properties window, check the status. Then, tap on the Start option.
- Next, set the Startup Type option is Automatic.
- Then restart your device and make sure now you do not see this error on your screen.
Method 6 – Reset your System
Sometimes restore your system can resolve this issue on your system.
- Press the Windows Key + I key to open the Settings application. Alternatively, go to the Search box, type settings and then hit the Enter key.
- When the Settings window opens, go to the Update and Recovery section.
- In the Update and Recovery section, click on the Reset option. Now, your system is ready to reset. Tap on the Get Started option. Then, follow the onscreen instruction to complete the reset process.
- Once the restore process completes, restart your system and check. The problem should be fixed now.
Method 7 – Delete The Pending XML File
This is also another easier method that you can also use to fix this issue. If you are unable to update the Windows Operating System, then you just simply delete the XML file from your Windows 10 system.
- Open the Command Prompt (Admin)
- When the Command Prompt window opens, write the commands one by one and then press the Enter button after writing each command.
First command is net stop trustedinstaller
Second command is cd %windir%\winsxs
Third command is takedown /f pending.xml /a
Fourth command is cacls pending.xml /e /g everyone:f
Fifth command is del pending.xml
- Then, restart your device and check the Windows update properly without any issue.
We hope, the above methods are sufficient to resolve the Error code 0x80073712 on your Windows 10 device. Read these methods carefully and try these steps on your system to fix this issue. In case you face any problems to follow them, then you can comment us down in the comments section. We will update you as soon as possible.