Epson has designed a compact, featureful scanner with innovative designs that can support a superior scanning job on the go. Epson’s XP 310 scanner is considered to be one of the notable scanners that can serve the purpose for your home, starting from photos to documents. Overall it can streamline your scanning procedure and improve the efficiency as well. However, due to a recent Windows system update, some users are reporting to face technical glitches while using this Epson scanner. The most common problem appears in the form of a message ‘epson scanner communication error’.
This issue crops up whenever the scanner application fails to scan for any documents. In this corporate day to day life, a scanner has a crucial role. But, if it fails to run appropriately, it is considered to be a massive drawback for the printing and scanning industry. This is where this article comes at its beat. Read this article and get a vivid idea of why this error occurs abruptly. Additionally, you will also get to know about the effective tricks that can help you resolve the problem.
Underlying Reasons behind the Epson Scanner Communication Error
First things first, you must understand why Epson scanner communication error appears in order to by-pass the chances of its occurrence in the future. There is a various number of different reasons, that can lead to this communication problem. Here in this section, you will get a clear insight into the causes. So, have a look:
- A recent update of the Operating System is the prime reason behind this scanner problem.
- Misconfiguration of the scanner’s firmware with the systems’ software can be an important reason.
- The scanner might not be compatible with the connected device.
- Incorrect configuration of the network often leads to failure in the communication.
- If the scanner drivers are corrupted, then there is a high chance of this error.
- Installed antivirus might be blocking the device from connecting with the Epson scanner.
Now, that you are well accustomed to the facts, let us proceed towards the tricks that can fix the problem.
Effective Methods: Resolve the Epson XP 310 Scanner Communication Error
The solutions mentioned below can help you mitigate the problem, in case you are operating on Windows 7, 8 or 10. Further, if you have recently updated to Windows 10, then these quick hacks can also assist you to recover from this issue. Take a glance and try to follow the steps in the exact order mentioned below:
Method 1: Run the Scanner software with the Administrative Privileges
At first, try to run the scanning application with administrative privileges. If you are trying to connect an external source then most of the applications require administrative permission. This helps them to do their job without any interference or without any requirement of security check. Now, follow the steps to alter the application’s settings and to enable administrative access.
- Step 1: Navigate to the Epson Scan application and right click on it. From the drop-down menu select the ‘Properties’ option.
- Step 2: When the properties window appears, then click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab and tick the box beside the label ‘Run this program as an administrator’. If the administrator privileges issue lingers, then try to carry out the steps in the Compatibility Mode.
- Step 3: When you are done, click on the Apply button in order to save the recent changes. Finally, exit the window and turn off your Epson scanner as well as disconnect the USB from the network. After 3-4 minutes, again set up the scanner and see if the scanning is successful.
Method 2: Fix the Wireless Connection Settings
If the Epson scan application fails to associate the scanner, due to issues concerning the network LAN address. Even if the network is configured to connect automatically, it may abruptly fail to do so. Then, in this case, you have to modify the address manually through the command prompt. let us start with the steps:
- Step 1: Navigate to the ‘Epson Scan Settings’ window through the application shortcut. Otherwise, you can also launch the window through the Windows search tab.
- Step 2: When you get to the scan settings, click on the ‘Add’ option, below the ‘Network Scanner Address’ label. Now, you must choose the correct scanner utilizing the options that appear in the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: A new window will appear, simply navigate to the Command Prompt in order to get the correct address. Now, copy the address and paste it in the box beside ‘Enter address’.
- Step 4: Locate the Windows icon and click on it. As soon as the dialogue box appears, type in ‘cmd’ and wait till the application opens. again type in the command ‘ipconfig’ and hit the Enter button. When you are able to access the command prompt window, copy the numerical field right next to the label ‘Default Gateway’.
- Step 5: Now, navigate to your default browser and paste the value in the address bar. Your router’s administrative interface appears, log in and verify whether your Epson scanner appears under the ‘attached devices to the network’ label.
- Step 6: Lastly, enter the address of the scanner in the Scanner application and click on the Apply button. You can also choose the ‘Test’ option to verify if the connection is successful.
Now, you can fully utilize the ‘scan utility’ service without any hassle. However, if this method seems too complicated, then you can go for the next solution hack.
Method 3: Try using a shorter USB cable
It is a known fact that if you using a long USB cable to connect the scanner and computer, then chances are that you will lose more signals. So, try to consider a shorter cable and note whether the connection problems gets resolved or not. This is just a temporary hack and you need to verify whether this workaround works. Otherwise, you can also go for the next method to resolve Epson scanner communication error.
Method 4: Restart Shell Hardware Detection
Shell Hardware Detection service is the primary tools that can help you to detect whether any external hardware has a proper association with your system. It functions automatically and notifies for every autoplay hardware events. Often your system might face issue with this tool and fail to detect the scanner. Let us try to fix this tool so that it can reconnect your scanner with your system.
- Step 1: To begin you need to press the Windows key as well as the R key simultaneously. When a dialogue box appears, type in ‘services.msc’and hit the Enter key. A list of file names appears as a search result.
- Step 2: from the result list try to locate the service ‘Shell Hardware Detection’ and right click on it. From the drop-down menu, click on the ‘properties’ option and wait till a new window appears.
- Step 3: Now, verify whether the startup type is set to the option ‘Automatic’ and simply exist the window. Again navigate to the ‘service’ file, right click on it and select ‘Restart’ option.
- Step 4: Lastly, unplug the scanner from your computer and wait for a few minutes. Again, reconnect the devices accurately and check if your system is able to recognize the scanner.
Method 5: Update the Scanner Drivers
If the above solutions are unable to help you fix the Epson scanner communication error, then there might a definite problem with the scanning drivers. To initiate the process, you need to navigate to the manufacturer’s website. Verify the compatibility and locate whether the latest scanner drivers are available. Note the model number of the Epson XP 310 scanner for quick identification of the requisite version. Now proceed with the steps:
- Step 1: Open the Run dialogue box, by pressing both the Windows key as well as “R” key, simultaneously. Type in ‘devmgmt.msc’ and hit the Enter key. You will note that the computer’s device manager opens.
- Step 2: Note if you are able to view any hardware, navigate to its sub-menu and choose the option ‘Imaging devices’. Further, you have to right-click on the Epson scanner’s icon and from the drop-down menu choose ‘Update driver’.
- Step 3: Finally you need to confirm whether you want to update the drivers. click on the option ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ and follow the on-screen prompts. the driver files will get downloaded in your system and will update automatically.
There are a few instances when a new driver fails to work then you have to go for an older version. Install it in the same method as mentioned above. Furthermore, This Epson Scanner comes along with an in-built printer thus, you need to update the drivers of the printer as well.
Method 6: Uninstall Epson Scan
You can also try to uninstall Epson Scan. For this navigate to ‘Windows Explorer’ and in the address bar type in ‘C:\Windows’. You will note that a list of results contain various file names appears on the screen. Try to locate the file named ‘twain_32’ and rename it. You can change the name to ‘twain_old’. As soon as the process completes, restart your computer to help your system configure the recent changes. Finally, this uninstalls ‘Epson Scan’. Wait for a couple of minutes and reinstall it again, this will help to sort the problem.
To Sum It Up
The information provided in the above section must be enough to help you eradicate the Epson XP 310 scanner communication error from its root. Further, if the issues still remain, then try to verify whether there are any restrictions on the network, and ensure that you have typed in the exact network configurations in the scanner hardware. Lastly, you can also check whether the ports in your device are working appropriately and then try plugging in the hardware. However, if you are not acquainted with the technical domain, then try to gain requisite technical guidance.