Though Epson scanner is popular among people for its effectiveness, it occasionally fails to perform its task due to certain reasons. Epson XP 310 scanner communication error is one of them. It occurs when the scanner fails to communicate with the computer. As a result, the scanner application fails to scan the documents saved on the computer. It originates from several sources and unless you know the exact cause, you cannot apply the proper fixes.
How Can You Fix Epson Scanner Communication Error?
Make Sure Scan Is Not Set To The Compatibility Mode
Sometimes the scan option set by default change to compatibility mode when you update Windows. Therefore, check if the compatibility mode is enabled for the scanner by the following steps.
- First, right-click on the Epson scan icon available on the desktop and choose ‘Properties.’
- Navigate to the compatibility tab, uncheck “Run the program in compatibility mode” option and click ‘OK.’
- Press the Windows+R key and open the run box. Then, type in “services.msc” and then tap the OK option to view the services menu.
- After that, move to WIA and then select the properties.
- Check startup type and service status. Set the Startup Type to Automatic and the Service Status to Running.
- Hit the ‘OK’ button to save the required changes.
Run Scanner Software With Administrative Privileges
Several applications require administrative privileges to perform their operations without security checks. So unless you grant these privileges to the Epson scanning, it will fail to perform.
- Right-click on ‘Epson Scan’ icon and select on ‘Properties.’
- Go to the ‘Compatibility’ tab and select ‘Run this program as an Administrator’ option.
- Then click on the ‘Apply’ button to save the changes and then close the Properties window.
- Turn off the scanner and unplug the USB cable from it.
- Restart the scanner to check that you are not getting the Epson scanner communication error.
Fix Wireless Connection
It will fix the communication error if the scan application is unable to connect the scanner with the wireless network automatically.
- Search for ‘Epson scan settings’ in the search box and select it from the search results.
- Now click on ‘Network Scanner Address’ on the ‘Scan Settings’ window and tap the ‘Add’ button.
- Then recheck the name of the scanner and click on ‘OK.’
- Navigate to the Command Prompt to fetch the correct proxy server address. Then enter the address in the specified field and click on ‘OK.’
- Type ‘cmd’ in the search box and press ‘Enter’ to run the Command Prompt.
- Type ‘ipconfig’ command in the Command Prompt and hit ‘Enter’ again.
- You will get a code for the default gateway. Copy that code to the Command Prompt to access your router.
- After logging onto your router, find the devices attached to the network.
- If you are able to see the IP Address of the scanner, then enter it in the browser and know the scanner properties.
- If Windows does not show the IP Address, then select the scanner application, enter the scanner’s address and click on ‘Apply.’
Tap the ‘Test’ button to ensure that you have successfully set up a connection between the scanner and computer.
Use Shorter USB Cables
Long USB cables often hamper the network connection between the scanner and computer. Hence, connect the computer with the scanner by a shorter USB cable. Then power on both the scanner and computer to check that they are able to communicate with each other.
Restart Shell Hardware Detection
It is such a service on Windows that helps the computer to detect whenever a removable device is connected to it. If the communication error is occurring due to glitches with this service, then you need to fix it.
- Press Windows icon and ‘R’ simultaneously to open the Run box.
- Now enter ‘services.msc’ in the Run box to get the list of services.
- Locate ‘Shell Hardware Detection,’ right-click on it and choose ‘Properties.’
- Select ‘Automatic’ for the startup type and close the window.
- Then right-click on ‘Shell Detection Service’ again and select ‘Restart.’
- Remove the scanner from the computer and plug it back again after a couple of minutes.
If the computer fails to detect the scanner, then move on to the next method.
Turn Off Password Protected Sharing
It is a security mechanism to ensure safety when you share files and folders over the network. We suggest you disable this mechanism as it often causes connection problem for the scanner.
- Type ‘Advanced Sharing’ in the search field and press ‘Enter.’
- Select the application, tap ‘Private’ and check the ‘Turn on file and printer sharing’ option.
- Choose ‘All Networks’ and check the ‘Turn off password protected sharing’ option.
- Click on the ‘Save Changes’ button and disconnect the scanner from the computer to give some time for the changes to take effect.
If this was the actual cause of Epson scanner communication error, then the computer will be able to communicate with the scanner.
Shift From LPT1 to USB 001 Virtual Printer Port
LPT is an old technology of connecting scanners to computers. If it is unable to support the printer, then changing the port will fix this issue. Since nowadays most of the printers use USB port, we are listing down the ways of shifting to this port.
- Open Control Panel, click on ‘Large icons’ and choose ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Right-click on Epson printer and select ‘Properties.’
- Click on ‘Ports’ and select ‘USB 001’ instead of ‘LPT1.’
- Unplug the scanner from the computer and leave it like that for few minutes.
Then re-establish the connection between the scanner and the computer and check if the issue has been solved.
Reset Windows Image Acquisition
Windows Image acquisition is an Application Programming Interface to capture images when you scan a document on your computer. Resetting this service has fixed the communication error for several users. So you can also give it a try.
- Type ‘services.msc’ in the Run dialog box and press ‘Enter.’
- Locate ‘Windows Image acquisition’ among the services, right-click on it and select ‘Restart.’
- Again disconnect the scanner from the computer and plug it back after some time.
- If this reset doesn’t work, then stop the service now and enable it afterward.
Update Scanner Drivers
The scanner may not communicate with the computer if it does not have the latest drivers or the drivers are corrupted. You can visit Epson’s website and use the printer’s model number to search for a compatible driver. Then you can install it automatically on the PC. Before proceeding with this method, you can follow these steps and try to fix this issue manually.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in the Command Prompt and press ‘Enter’ to access Device Manager.
Go to the hardware section and select ‘Imaging devices’ from its sub-menu.
Right-click on Epson scanner and hardware and select ‘Update Driver.’
- Now Windows provides you with two options to search for the printer drivers.
- Select ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ and select a driver file on your computer.
Click on the ‘Update’ button to start the update and restart the computer after Windows finishes the update.
This article focuses on all the possible ways of fixing Epson scanner communication error as per your convenience.