Discord mic not working appears when users try to use the Desktop Discord app. That means you are not able to continue voice chat with your online gaming partner. Usually, the speaker works properly when you use the Discord web application. But, the members can not listen to your voice when you perform an online PC game with the VolP app. This is due to the incapability of the microphone to function properly. Also, the wrong audio settings can be a reason behind the mic not working on Discord issue. Moreover, this problem might occur due to the wrong game setting, bugs in Discord app and many more. If you face this issue with the Discord app, then don’t panic. In this article, we are going to mention certain solutions. You need to try out each solution until your problem gets removed.
Common Reasons for Discord Mic Not Working Issue
Have a look at the general causes for Discord mic not working issue. These are as follows:
- Faulty microphone.
- Bugs in Discord app.
- Damaged audio ports.
- Outdated audio device drivers.
- Volume is mute or not audible.
12 Efficient Fixes to Resolve Discord Mic Not Working Issue
In this article, we are going to explain the effective ways through which you can eradicate Discord not detecting mic issue quickly. You can go through one of these methods or if required all of them to get rid of this problem. Let’s check out the process below:
Method 1: Check the Microphone
The first thing is to check out the Microphone carefully. To check the sound level of your microphone, just perform these steps one by one:
- First of all, you will find the Sound icon on the right side of the screen. Just click on it.
- Then, check the volume level.
- If it is too low, move to the Volume slider.
- After that, check the volume control of the app which you’re playing. Make the sound level of the app audible too.
- Now, check if you can listen to the sound or not.
To check the Audio cables and power, follow the below steps:
- Firstly, you should check that the speakers and the power LED are turned On.
- Now, check if the power cable is damaged or not. Now, insert the power cable again.
- If possible, change the AC adapter with another AC adapter of the same type and model which is in working condition.
- Also, check if the condition of the audio cables is damaged or not.
Method 2: Update the Audio driver
If the audio driver is outdated, then this might generate an issue on the system. Just read the instructions one-by-one which are cited below:
- At first, press and hold the Windows key and R key both to open the Run dialog box.
- Then, type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and open the Device Manager.
- Next, click on the ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ option.
- Now, find all the audio drivers from the list.
- After that, you will find the ‘Update’ option if an update is available.
- Go for this option to update such drivers.
- Finally, restart your computer and check if the issue still appears or not.
Method 3: Sign out Discord and Re-sign Discord
After updating Audio driver, you need to restart Discord properly. To perform that, you should launch Discord with the Mic. Take a look below:
- At first, select the User Settings image on the left side of the Discord interface.
- Then, open Discord Settings and click on the ‘Log Out’ option.
- Sometimes, you need to select the Log Out button repeatedly.
- Now, sign in Discord.
Method 4: Allow Discord Administrative Privileges
To give proper permissions to send the voice over the internet, you should use Discord with the administrative privileges. Just follow the below directions one by one:
- Firstly, click on the Discord icon and select ‘Run as Administrator’.
- In the UAC prompt, press YES.
- Finally, log in to your account and make sure that you continue Discord before opening the game.
Method 5: Select the Microphone as Discord’s Input Device
Another thing is to change the input device on the Discord manually. This can help the app to identify your Mic device better. To establish a new input device on Discord, follow the ways mentioned below:
- First of all, go to the User Settings.
- Then, open the App Settings and click on the ‘Voice & Video’ option.
- Now, select ‘Input Device’.
- After that, click on ‘Headset Microphone’.
- If you can not find the microphone in the list, reconnect it to the PC.
- Next, select the Audio icon and click on the ‘Properties’ tab.
- When the Sound Properties window appears, open the Recording section.
- Now, choose ‘Headset Microphone’.
- Try to speak with others through the mic and check if the audio levels are high or not.
- At last, open Discord again and modify the input device as mention above.
Method 6: Tweaking the Automatic Input Sensitivity Settings
If you turn Off the Automatic Input Sensitivity settings, your microphone cannot work accurately. Therefore, you need to turn On Discord to identify the audio sensitivity of the microphone. So, get a look below:
- At first, select the Settings menu and open the App settings.
- Now, choose ‘Input & Video’.
- After that, go to the ‘Input Sensitivity’ folder.
- Next, click on the toggle switch to turn off the ‘Automatically determine input sensitivity’ option.
- Lastly, reboot the Discord app and try to figure out if the issue gets removed or not. If not, then follow the next procedure.
Method 7: Reset the Voice Settings on Discord
You can fix the microphone not working on Discord issue by resetting the voice settings on Discord and restore things to default. Here is a way to do that:
- First of all, click on the User Setting option, from the left pane of the Discord windows.
- Next, click on the ‘Voice & Video’ option below App Settings.
- After that, scroll down and select ‘Reset Voice Settings’.
- Now, press the Enter key to confirm the changes.
- Wait for sometimes to complete this process.
- Finally, connect your microphone again and check if the problem is removed or not.
Method 8: Turn Off the Exclusive Mode on Windows Recording Devices
Sometimes, the Exclusive mode might cause the mic not working in Discord problem. So, you need to turn Off this mode. Just go through the below instructions and apply them in your own way:
- At first, open the Desktop notifications area and select the Volume icon.
- Now, click on the ‘Recording Devices’ option.
- Choose ‘Headset microphone’ and click on ‘Properties’.
- When the Microphone Properties window appear, open the ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Go to the Exclusive Mode section.
- Next, unmark the ‘Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device’ option.
- Press OK and click on the Apply option to save all the changes.
- Now, reboot your computer and check the issue once.
Method 9: Switch from “Voice Activity” to “Push to talk”
Most of the time, changing the Input mode to the ‘Push to talk’ mode can help you to resolve this issue completely.
- Firstly, click on the User settings option.
- After that, open App Settings and select ‘Voice & Video’.
- Now, click on the Input mode and turn on the ‘Push to Talk’ option.
- Then, you need to unmark the ‘Voice Activity’ option.
- At last, close the app and open it again.
- Now, check if the Discord won’t detect mic issue is fixed or not.
Method 10: Change the Voice Channel Server Location
To make new audio channels, Discord uses several servers all over the world. So, you need to modify the channel server location to another location and this might resolve the issue easily. To do that, you should be the admin of the channel and go through the below instructions carefully:
- First of all, click on the Menu icon and go to the Server Settings option.
- Then, move to the Overview section.
- Now, look for the Server Region option and select the ‘Change’ option.
- When different server locations appear on the screen, select other location which is near to your location.
- When the server is changed, choose ‘Save Changes’.
- In the New server related settings, Discord will save automatically and the channel should be shifted to the server.
Method 11: Check the Windows Privacy Settings
Sometimes, the background app might cause this problem. So, you have to check out the Windows Privacy Settings as soon as possible. Take a look below:
- Firstly, click on the Start menu and select ‘Settings’.
- After that, choose ‘Privacy Settings’.
- Now, click on the Microphone Settings option.
- Next, figure out the Allow apps to get access to your speaker is turned on or not. If not, then you click on the switch to turn On.
Lastly, check whether the Discord mic not working issue exists or not.
Method 12: Use the Audio Troubleshooter
If any of the above methods can not fix the trouble, the last resort is to use the Windows Audio troubleshooter. This will help you to troubleshoot it. To perform that, follow the below steps one by one:
- At first, click and hold the Windows logo key and W key both
- Then, open the search box.
- Next, type ‘Troubleshooting’ there and choose the utility from the results.
- After that, the troubleshooting window will open. Select ‘View all’ folder from the left menu.
- Now, select the ‘Recording Audio’ tab and another window will open.
- Lastly, try to follow the steps of the troubleshooting and restart your laptop.
So, these are the most active and reliable ways by which you can easily fix the Discord mic not working issue. We have simplified all the methods, so that, you can easily resolve the issue by following the above steps. If the problem persists, then you should take an expert’s guide for better support.