Chromium refers to an open-source web browser that is created by Google. Though the Chrome browser is built on the base of Chromium, there are differences between Chrome and Chromium. Chrome has a number of features that Chromium does not.
Because Chromium is an open-source browser, anyone can easily download and modify it. That is why hackers design and use this browser to fulfill their cyber criminal activities, But they prefer to use the same name and confuse users.
If you find a Chromium browser in your system that you haven’t downloaded then it can be a fake version or adware. Generally, this Chromium virus can be found in search engines in the form of display advertisements or they can be stored in your browser settings as unwanted extensions.
If your system has downloaded this file and you want to know how to remove this chromium virus from your system then we have some effective fixes.
How to Get Rid of Chromium Virus on Windows?
If you find a blue icon on your desktop that looks similar to google chrome then you must be careful. This can be a Chromium virus. In this case, you must check your system thoroughly and remove this file as soon as possible.
If you are a Windows user and want to delete Chromium from your system then follow these below-mentioned steps and make your system virus free.
Check All Program List
To remove chromium virus via All program list, you need to follow the steps discussed below-
- Click on the Start logo on your desktop and then choose All Programs.
- Click on the Chromium folder, and select Uninstall Chromium.
- Once you see a dialog box, click on the Uninstall button.
- Check whether the issue gets resolved or not.
Use Control Panel
For deleting Chromium from your system, you can use the Control Panel.
- Press the Windows logo key from your keyboard.
- Type Control Panel in the search bar and press Enter.
- Select the Uninstall a program link.
- In Uninstall or change program page, choose Chromium from the lists.
- Click on the Uninstall button from the top of the window and the confirmation dialog box.
Clear Browsing Data
It is very important to remove your browser history regularly. To do so you need to follow the below-mentioned steps-
- Click on the Start logo and search for Folder Options.
- Click on Folder Options and select Show hidden files, folders and drivers checkbox.
- Go to Computer/Local disk (C:)/Users/(your username)/AppData/.
- Now open the Local and Roaming folders and remove the Chromium folder.
How to Remove Chromium Virus From Mac
If you are using a Mac system and want to remove the Chromium virus, then follow these steps:
Remove Virus Manually
- To remove this virus manually from your system, open the Utilities folder
- Double-click on Activity Monitor
- Search the entries for Chromium and Chromium Helper and select them. Remember to click on the Quit Process button each time.
- Click on Force Quit option and quit Chromium and chromium Helper executables.
- Expand the Go menu and then select the Go to Folder.
- Type ‘Library/LaunchAgents’ in the ‘Go to Folder’ dialog box.
- In the LaunchAgents directory, find org.chromium.chromium.plist and move it to the Trash.
- Navigate to the ‘Go to’ folder and repeat the above steps once again.
- Now go to the Library/Application Support folder, find Chromium and move it to the trash.
- Click the Go button and select Applications. Search Chromium.app, right-click on it and then choose the ‘Move to Trash’ option.
- Navigate to Apple Menu and select the System Preferences option.
- Select Accounts and click on the Login Items button.
- Finally, locate Chromium from the lists and click on the (-) button.
Reset Your Browsers
If the Chromium virus infects your web browser settings, then you must restore the browser settings to its default values. Follow these steps and learn how to reset Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox.
- Open Chrome and click on the gear icon.
- Select Options>Under the Hood tab> Reset to defaults button.
- Click on the Windows logo and type in the search panel Firefox.
- Select Firefox from the result.
- Select Help and then Click on Troubleshooting Information
- Finally, click on the Reset Firefox button.
- Launch Safari and go to the Safari menu.
- Choose Preferences> Go to Privacy tab> Click on the Remove All Website Data
- Confirm the process by selecting the Remove Now option.
- Click on the Details button under the Privacy section of Safari Preferences.
- Once you get the full list, find out and select the suspicious ones.
- Click on Remove or Remove All and Done button and exit the process.
Use Virus Removal Tool
If you are unable to remove the Chromium virus with the aforesaid methods, then you can use Virus removal tools. These tools can remove all the unwanted files in one click. Not only that, by using these tools you can protect your privacy as well.
You just have to visit a reliable site to download and install a virus removal tool on your system. After that, run a scan. This will display the current status of your system. Once the tool detects and eliminates the Chromium virus, you can easily uninstall it.