Windows 10 is the best iteration of Operating System that has been made by Microsoft Corporation. This system software is frequently updated by the company to fix issues within the OS if there is any. Due to this kind of features and various unique applications, this OS gained a lot of attention from the people. Despite having so many unique features and capabilities, you can get many types of errors. One such error about which we are going to discuss in this article is the “reboot and select proper boot device”. In the section that follows you will get the reasons on why does this glitch happen.
Why Does This Error Happen
This section will give you various reasons for the occurance of this very error in the first place.
- You can get this issue if the hard drive of your PC fails due to bad sectors, physical damage, etc.
- If the boot order is messed up or is not set correctly, then there is a chance for you to encounter “reboot and select proper boot device”.
- Legacy Boot feature present on the BIOS Settings can even cause this error.
How Can You Go To Boot Menu In BIOS
In order to fix the “reboot and select proper boot device” error, users will have to enter into the boot menu. When you start the machine, tap on the ‘Delete or F10, F12’ repeatedly to get into the BIOS. In the BIOS Settings window, using the direction keys navigate to the ‘Boot’ menu. In that menu, locate the ‘Boot Order’ section and then hit the ‘Enter’ button to select it. According to the manufacturer of your computer, the button to enter into the BIOS Settings is different.
Solutions To Correct The Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device
In this section of the article, you will get many steps to rectify this error very easily and efficiently.
Inspect Your Hard Disk Using A Reliable Software
If the hard drive installed in your system fails due to some issues like bad sectors, etc, then this might be the reason of this error also. In order to examine the condition of your hard drive, download a good reliable software from the internet. To do that, follow the steps below:
- First, write the application in either an optical disc or USB. Then, put the disc or drive into the affected machine and restart it. When the machine starts, press the ‘Delete or F12’ key to go to the BIOS Settings. After that, navigate to the boot menu and choose to boot from the media.
- As soon as you will see the window of the reliable software, choose the recovery option as ‘Automated Repair’. Next, tap on ‘Continue’ button.
- Now, allow the program to finish the process. When the procedure is over then you will get information about which hardware has failed. If the hard drive is failing or has failed then the best solution is to replace it with a new one.
- If there are no problems detected, but you are still getting this issue, then just repair or reinstall Windows OS.
Correctly Configure Primary Harddrive Partition
You might encounter this problem if the primary partition of your hard drive is not correctly configured as the one that is active. If that is so, then to rectify this very error, the best solution is to correctly configure the primary hard drive partition as the active one. In order to do that, follow the steps below:
- First, put a bootable disc or a USB drive into the computer. Next, reboot it and enter into the BIOS Settings. After that, go to the ‘Boot’ menu, then choose ‘boot from the media’.
- Now, save that and quit from BIOS. When the machine gets out of BIOS, then it will start to boot from the installation media and the Windows setup screen will appear.
- In this window, you will see a button ‘Install now’ at the middle and on the left side of this window, there is a link ‘Repair your computer’ tap on it.
- You will now see a blue screen with a heading ‘Choose an option’. In that screen, choose the option ‘Troubleshoot’. After that, from the next screen, choose the ‘Advanced options’. Again, from the following blue screen choose an option ‘Command Prompt’.
- In the Command Prompt window, type each of the following commands and tap on ‘Enter’ button after each command – ‘diskpart’, ‘list disk’, ‘select disk X’ (here ‘X’ is the name of the disc where Windows OS is present.), ‘list partition’, ‘select partition X’ (here ‘X’ represents the primary partition of the hard drive, generally the size of this partition is more.), ‘active’.
- When everything is over, exit from the Command Prompt and reboot the machine normally.
Correct Your Computer’s Boot Order
In order to rectify the reboot and select proper boot device error do the following:
- Restart your machine, then press any one key ‘Delete or F12 or F10’ to enter into the BIOS Settings. In the BIOS, navigate to the ‘Boot’ section.
- In this section, go to the Hard Drive option and tap on the ‘Enter’ key to choose hard disk drive as the primary boot device. Save this setting, after hitting ‘Y’ key. Exit from the BIOS.
- Now, normally start the Windows and inspect if you are still getting this error or not while the boot process is happening.
Activate Or Deactivate Legacy Boot
Sometimes, due to legacy boot option in the BIOS Settings, this error can occur. So, the only solution to correct this glitch is to activate that option, if it deactivated and vice-versa.
- First, reboot your computer. Then, tap on the ‘F12 or Delete’ keys to get into the BIOS Settings. Look into the user manual of the motherboard manufacturer to know the exact key to enter the UEFI/BIOS.
- When you are inside BIOS, navigate to the Boot section using the arrow keys. Then, in that section, locate the ‘Legacy Boot’ option.
- If this option is activated then deactivate it otherwise do the reverse. After that, hit the ‘Enter’ key and then tap on the ‘Y’ key to confirm it.
- Now, go to the ‘Save & Exit’ section and quit from BIOS after saving all the settings.
- Finally, restart your computer. When the machine starts up look if you are still getting this error or not.
You can simply correct the reboot and select proper boot device glitch by following the steps in the previous section. Now, even after following those steps you cannot able to rectify this error by yourself then contact a good professional. You can also, post your query on the comment section below and we will solve your issue instantly.