Outlook is one of the most preferable applications of this global market. But it is not free from the occasional errors. Sometimes, Outlook keeps asking for password and you fail to log into your account. This issue can occur due to plenty of reasons. But before that, make sure you are giving the right credentials to log in. However, in this article, we will discuss some easy fixes using which you will be able to get rid of this situation. So, try to follow this post till the end.
Reasons why Outlook Keeps Asking for Password
There are more than one reasons due to which you might get stuck with Outlook. These are listed below:
- First of all, Outlook keeps asking for password due to some inconvenience present in the Outlook application itself.
- In some cases, you can also get this error if you are using an outdated version of Outlook.
- If, by any chance you delete .PST files, then Outlook can start to malfunction.
What to do when Outlook Keeps Asking for Password
There are some tricks you can try to fix this glitch with Outlook. We have listed all of these here. Try all of this one after another and see which one works for you.
Method 1: Clear Cache Data
First of all, you can clear the cache data of Outlook to fix this issue. On that note, try to follow these steps:
- At first, you have to go to the Start Menu and open the Control Panel.
- After that, you have to set the View By option which is located under the address bar to Large Icon.
- Now, click on Credential Manager to open it.
- You need to click on the ‘Manage your Credentials’ option that you will find at the left sidebar.
- After that, you have to choose the credentials for Lync, Outlook, and Microsoft in both the Windows Credentials and Generic Credentials.
- You should tap on the Details as well as you have to choose Remove from Vault.
- Now, you have to exit from the control panel and restart your system to continue.
Well, after that, try to check the status of the error. If it persists, then try to follow the next method.
Method 2: Enable Remember Password Option
In case you have not checked the Remember Password option while trying to log in, then this issue can bother you. In this case, you have to enable this option. In that case, try to follow these steps mentioned below.
- At first, you have to open Outlook. Then, you have to navigate to the File tab and tap on the Account Settings.
- Once done, you have to choose your account which is situated under the Email tab.
- After that, a window will appear. From there, you have to scroll down to the bottom and locate the ‘Remember Password’ option.
- After that, be sure that it is checked.
After completing all of these steps, try to check the status of the error. If it persists, then try to follow the next method .
Method 3: Uncheck ‘Always Prompt for Login Credentials’ Option
Additionally, you can enter the password once more in order to eliminate this error. Try to perform these steps:
- At first, you have to go to Outlook.
- Now, you have to navigate to the File tab and choose the Account settings.
- Now, you have to highlight your account and tap on the Change option.
- You have to go to the Security tab.
- You have to make sure that the box is unchecked against ‘Always prompt for login credentials’ option. This option will be situated under User Identification.
- Now, you have to tap on the OK button to continue and after performing all of these steps, you have to close Outlook.
Method 4: Create a New Profile
You can also create a new profile in order to resolve the Outlook keeps asking for password issue on a quick note. So, try out these steps.
- At first, close the Outlook application.
- Now, you have to go to the Start menu in order to open the Control Panel.
- After that, you have to tap on the Mail option.
- Once done, you have to tap on the Show Profiles button and choose Add.
- Again, you have to provide the name of the profile and choose OK to continue.
- After that, you have to enter your name and email.
- Now, you have to tap on the Next and then click on the Finish button.
- Lastly, you have to choose ‘Always use this profile’. Now, tap on OK to continue.
After completing all of these steps, you will be able to fix the error. If not, then try to follow the alternative method.
Method 5: Reset Login Credentials
You can also reset the login credentials, to resolve this typical error. On that note, try to follow these steps:
- At first, you have to go to Control Panel.
- Once the Control Panel window opens, you have to go to the User Accounts and then go to the Credentials Manager.
- After that, in the Windows Credentials as well as the Generic Credentials section, you have to remove all the data (mostly login credentials) related to the Office 365 or Outlook.
- Now, you have to tap on the details and select Remove from vaults.
- Once done, you have to tap on OK from the warning box.
- After completing all of these steps, you have to remove all of the credentials which are associated with your email address.
Finally, you will be able to fix this bug.
Method 6: Update Outlook
In case you are using an outdated version of Outlook, then you can encounter this error with your device. In that case, update Outlook by following these steps:
At first, you have to tap on the Start button and type ‘control panel’ there. Then, hit Enter and choose Control Panel from the list of options. After that, open Programs and Features. Then, navigate to Programs. You will get a list of all the installed applications there.
Now, locate and right-click on Outlook from there. Then, click on the Check for Update option. Make sure your device has a working internet connection.
Now, you will be able to see a list of available updates for your computer. If you find an available update then click on it.
After that, you need to tap on the “Install Updates” option and follow the on-screen guide. You have to wait until the process is over. Now, you have to restart your computer and this time Outlook won’t create any problem.
Summing it up
That’s all you need to know about the processes to fix Outlook 2016 keeps asking for password error the moment you face it. If you have implemented them well and in proper order, then the error should not bother you any longer. For further queries, you can drop a comment.