Netgear is one of the most trusted routing devices that enjoys a huge user-base. Among the other models of router, Netgear N300 holds its position due to its superior connectivity. But nowadays, the users of the Netgear N300 router are facing some difficulties while setting up the router. So, if you are in the same list and tired by searching the Netgear N300 setup procedure, then you just arrived at the correct page. Here in this article, we are going to present some easy hacks to set up your Netgear N300 router. Hence, you are advised to go through the below post carefully and implement all the steps given below. So, let’s start.
Netgear N300 Setup: Apply the Easy and Effective Process!
At times, it becomes difficult to set up the router correctly. And in this scenario, you might face certain problems with your router as well. Hence, if you are unaware of the Netgear N300 setup process, stick to the steps given below:
To prepare the Netgear N300 router before Installation:
Before going to install the Netgear N300 router you need to follow the steps given below:
- At first, you need to peel off the protecting film covered both surfaces of the Netgear N300 router carefully.
- Then, remove the protecting film covering the head panel of the Netgear N300 router.
- Now, you have to place the router at the proper area for installation. You can place the router near the AC power outlet as well as access to the Ethernet wires for the wired computers.
Cable the Router:
The user guide that comes with the Netgear N300 router describes how to connect your router with the computer as well as how to connect the cable or the DSL wireless modem with the system, and gives detailed illustrations.
- At first, you need to turn off the router. Then unplug the wire or the DSL broadband modem. If the modem has any backup battery, then you need to remove it also.
- Now, you have to look for the Ethernet cord which connects the system with the modem.
- Then, you need to disconnect the wire from your modem. Now, connect the modem with the router.
- After that, look for the Ethernet wire that comes included with the Netgear N300 router. Now, insert the Ethernet cord to the modem as well as into the Internet port of your Netgear N300 router.
- Now, locate the wire that you removed from your modem. Then, insert the cable into the LAN port of the Netgear router securely.
Now, the network wires are connected as well as you are ready to begin the network. It’s necessary that you begin your network in the proper sequence. Now, you need to turn the router on by pressing the Power button that is located at the backside of the router.
Verify the Cabling:
Now, you have to verify that the router is cabled in a proper way by checking the LEDs of the Netgear N300 router:
- When your router is turned on then the power LED becomes solid green.
- If the LED of the router does not become solid green, then you need to confirm that the Ethernet wire is connected properly with the router as well as you turn the router on.
- The LED of the router becomes solid amber or solid green if the router is connected with the system with the help of an Ethernet wire.
Netgear Genie Setup:
NETGEAR genie operates on all the devices with the web browser. It is the simplest method to set up your Netgear N300 router as it automates several steps as well as confirms that those actions have been performed successfully. It will take minimum 15 minutes time to finish.
Steps to use the Netgear genie to set up the router:
- At first, turn the router on. Hence, you have to click the Power button of the router.
- Now, you need to make sure that the device is connected with the Netgear N300 router with the help of an Ethernet wire.
- After that, you have to open your default Internet browser and then follow as stated below:
- If you set up the Internet connection using the router for the first time, then your default Internet browser will automatically open the official website of Netgear as well as you will see the front page of Netgear Genie.
- If you previously used the Netgear genie, then you need to go to the login page of the Netgear router with the help of the address field of the browser.
- Now, you have to perform the on-screen guidance to finish the setup procedure of Netgear Genie. If the Internet browser can’t display the web page of the Netgear Genie:
- Confirm that the system is attached with one LAN Ethernet port or wirelessly with the Netgear N300 router.
- Confirm that the Netgear router is running. The wireless LED of the router is lit.
- Close the router and again reopen it to confirm that the Internet browser doesn’t cache the earlier page.
- Go to the official website of the Netgear router.
- If the system is set to a fixed or static address, then you need to change it to get the IP address from your router.
If your Netgear N300 router doesn’t connect with the Internet, then:
- Review the setting of the router to confirm that you have chosen the right options as well as typed everything properly.
- Connect with your Internet service provider to check that you have the proper configuration information.
Use the Netgear Genie after Installation:
When you set up the router for the first time, then the Netgear Genie starts by itself when you open the Internet browser on your system which is linked with the Netgear N300 router.
To use the Netgear Genie again if you wish to change or view settings for your router:
- Open your default Internet browser from the system or the wireless device which is connected with the router.
- Go to the official website of the Netgear router and enter the login window.
- Type admin at the field of the User Name and type password on the password field. Try to enter the user name and password in the lowercase letter.
Note: The password and the user name of the router are different from the password and the user name of the Internet Connection.
Upgrade the Firmware of the Router:
While setting up the router and connecting with the Internet, the router checks if there are any newer firmware by itself. If it is, then you will see a notification appears at the upper right side of the display. The notification might be like ‘A router firmware upgrade is available.’ To update the firmware you need to perform the steps given below:
- Click on the notification that appears on the display. It will open the Assistant page of the Firmware Upgrade.
- Click on the Yes button. The Netgear router updates to the advanced firmware. After the update, the router restarts itself.
Note: while performing the above steps do not go online. Turn the router off. Shut down the system or do anything else to the Netgear router till the router completes the restart. Then, the Power LED has stopped to blink as well as has turned to constant green for a few seconds.
Add Broadcast Devices or Computer with the Network
Select either the WPS method or the manual method to add the broadcast devices as well as other equipment with the broadcast network.
To perform the manual method, you need to follow the steps given below:
- At first, you have to launch the software which controls the broadcast connections on your broadcast device such as iPhone, gaming device, Computer, and so many more which you wish to attach with the Netgear N300 router. This software will start to scan for all the broadcast networks in your nearest location.
- Choose a secure broadcast network and click on it. If you do not modify the name of the wireless network while setting up the router, then you need to find the default Wi-Fi network name and click on it. Also, find the default SSID is placed on the label of the product on the backside of the Netgear N300 router.
- Now, enter the password of the broadcast network as well as click on the connect button.
- Lastly, perform the same steps for another broadcast device.
WPS or Wi-Fi Protected Setup Method:
WPS or Wi-Fi Protected Setup can help you to connect with a strong Wi-Fi network without entering the password. Alternatively, you can hit a button or type the PIN. While running this process, the users get the security settings from the Netgear router so that all the devices of the network has the corresponding security settings. But, some of the earlier Wi-Fi equipment is not fit with the Wi-Fi Protected Setup. This Wi-Fi Protected Setup works with only the WPA or WPA2 broadcast security. To use the Wi-Fi Protected Setup and to connect the broadcast network, you need to perform the steps as follows:
- At first, you have to press the WPS button of the Netgear router. You will see this button at the front side of the router. The LED light of the WPS button will start to blink with the green light.
- Now, wait for 2 minutes. Then press the WPS button on the wireless device. Or if you prefer you also can follow the WPS guidance which comes included with the device. Your device is now attached with the Netgear N300 router.
- You have to repeat the above steps for another WPS broadcast device.
In the above guide, we have discussed some of the easiest Netgear N300 setup steps that can help you to set up your modem in a short span of time. We hope if you perform the above steps carefully in their respective order, then it will help you to put an end to your pain. After successfully applying all the above steps if you still face any kinds of problems while setting up the Netgear N300 router, then you need to contact a tech expert. You also can share your queries or issues through the comment box given at the end of this post.