Over the year HP is well known for their high performance, eye-catching features and superb performance. OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer is one of the latest creation of the HP which offers a wealth of features, including an auto-duplexing automatic document feeder, rapid print, scan and copy and lots more at an affordable price rate. Not only it provides an eye-catching feature but also very cost efficient for people because it offers professional-quality color at up to 50% less cost per page than lasers printers. Saving paper and conserving resource also become very easy due to its automatic two-sided printing.
But the common problem with this product is that HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 all in one printer’s manual doesn’t have enough setup information in it, which makes the set up very tough for the users. That’s why we are here today to provide you the throughout guide for the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 all-in-one printer setup.
System Requirement for the Setup:
Now, before starting the setup procedure, please check if your system meets the minimum requirements to set up the router or not. These requirements are:
Microsoft® Windows® 10, 8.1, 8, 7: 32-bit or 64-bit, 2 GB available hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD drive or Internet connection, USB port, Microsoft® Internet Explorer. Windows Vista®: (32-bit only), 2 GB available hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD drive or Internet connection, USB port, Microsoft® Internet Explorer 8. Windows® XP SP3 or higher (32-bit only): any Intel® Pentium® II, Celeron® or 233 MHz compatible processor, 850 MB available hard disk space, CD-ROM/DVD drive or Internet connection, USB port, Microsoft® Internet Explorer 8 ;OS X v10.9 Mavericks, OS X v10.10 Yosemite, OS X v10.11 El Capitan 1GB Available Space, Internet Access; Linux (For more information, see http://HPlipopensource.com/HPlip-web/index.html);
OS X v10.9 Mavericks, OS X v10.10 Yosemite, OS X v10.11 El Capitan, 1GB Available Space, Internet Access
Step-by-Step Guide for HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-one Printer Setup:
Now that we have the basic idea about the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer setup and its system, then it is time to dig into the main topic and learn all the setup procedure of the printer.
Basic Printer Setup
Un-pack Printer from the Box
At first, you have to remove the printer from the box and raise the scanner lid to remove the packing tape. Now close the scanner lid and gently grasp the handles on either side of the printer to raise the ink cartridge access door until it locks into place. Then, remove all the tapes and packing materials from inside the printer. After that, you have to close the ink cartridge access door and open the paper tray door to pull the tray out. Once you remove the packing tape, push the paper tray forward until it clicks into place and closes the paper tray door.
Connect the Power cord and Set Preferences
Once the unpacking is done and all the tapes are removed, plug the printer into the power source and turn it on. When the printer’s Control panel boots up, press the down arrow to select the preferred language and click on the Ok button. Now, use the navigation key to select Yes and then press Ok to open and set the Country/Region menu option.
After setting the preferences, your next job will be load blank paper into the input tray. To perform this task, you have to first open the paper tray door, and then pull the tray towards you. Now, gently pull out the tray extender and lift up the paper catch. After that, slide the paper width guides to their outermost position and load a stack of paper in the paper tray. After loading the paper, put the stack in the tray until it stops and then slides in the paper width guides until they rest against the edges of the paper. Once the whole process is done, push the paper tray back in the position to complete the paper loading.
Ink Cartridges Installation
Now, once the paper loading is done, its time to install the HP ink cartridges ( Included in the packages) in the printer. So grasp the handles on either side of the ink cartridge access door to raise it and after that, remove the ink cartridges from its package. But be careful while doing so and touch only the black plastic portion of the cartridge. By any chance, if you touch the copper-colored contacts or the ink nozzles, then it can lead to the clogs or ink failure. After that, lift up the lid on the ink cartridges slot and hold the ink cartridge by its sides with the nozzles toward the printer.
Now, simply press the ink cartridge forward into the slot until it snaps into the place. Then, close the lid of the ink cartridge into its place. Repeat the same process to install the other ink cartridges and when everything is set, close the cartridge access door.
Wireless Network Setup
Before setting up your printer with the wireless network, you require the mentioned below things before starting the wireless connection setup.
- Network Name
- Security passphrase
- Internet access
- A computer that is connected to the wireless network
After gathering these items, make sure to place the printer and computer close to each other. Also, you have to turn on all of the devices and need to connect your computer with the same wireless network where you want to connect your printer. Once it’s done, disconnect the USB cable if it is connected to the printer and use the built-in Wireless Setup Wizard to connect your printer on your wireless network. Here are the steps that you have to follow to set the wireless setup:
- At first, Press the Setup button on the printer’s Control panel and use the navigation key to highlight the Wireless Menu. Once you found it, select Ok.
- Now, use the navigation key to highlight Setup Wizard and then hit the OK button again.
- Upon completing the above step, the wireless setup Wizard will automatically search for the connections and display them in the list.
- Next, highlight your preferred network with the help of the navigation key and select Ok to prompt to the security page. Enter the WPA or WEP key to establish the connection.
Install Printer Software (For Window):
To install the printer software, turn on your printer. Then, visit the HP Customer Support- Software and Driver Downloads from your computer. Now, click on Let’s identify your product to get started page displays. Then, click on Printer, type your printer model number and click on the Submit option. Otherwise, you can manually search for your printer’s driver on the web page. Now, click the Download button for the full software package of the driver. You can also check the other driver option by clicking the Basic driver button.
Install Printer Software (For Mac):
Now, the process of installing the printer software is a completely different and little bit complicated in Mac. The Mac printer driver is available directly through the OS X operating system. Thus, when you run Apple Software Update on your Mac, you don’t require to download a driver from either the HP or Apple website. So, follow the below steps to perform this task:
- At first, open your Mac device and click on the Apple menu and select the Software Update to check for available updates. Now, update the database that your computer uses to determine available printer software.
- Next, click on Show details to select the available software updates and then click the Install button.
- After that, turn on your printer and get back to your Mac device.
- Now click the System Preferences and select the Printer and scanners option from the given option. Once it’s done, select the Plus sign from the lower left corner of the window.
- Next, click the Add Printer or Scanner option to get the full list of printers.
- After that, select the printer name for which you want to install the software and make sure that the printer’s kind is Bonjour or Multifunction.
- Once it’s done, click the Use box and then select the name of your printer from the drop-down menu.
- Now, click on Add option to include the printer to the queue. After that, if you prompted to install any additional software for your printer, then click on Install option and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Add Printer in the Device:
You can add OfficeJet Pro 6978 in your device with a USB cable or with wireless function. But we recommend the USB option because it is more secure than the second option. So, here is the guide to add a printer in your device.
- At first, connect the printer to your computer by using a USB cable. Then, turn on both your computer and printer.
- Now, open the Settings option from your computer and select the Devices icon from the given option.
- When the new window opens, select the Printers and scanners from the left side panel. Then, select the plus icon which is located below the Add printers and scanners option.
- Next, simply wait until your computer detects the printer. Once the printer name pops up in the window, click on the name of the printer and follow the on-screen instructions. Then, finish the installation process.
Wrap It Up
We hope that our methods in this article will help you to solve your query about HP OfficeJet pro 6978 All-in-one printer Setup. If you are still not able to properly set up the device, then we will advise you to re-do the whole process once again. In case, you made a mistake during the procedure then this time you will not repeat that. Also, you can look at your user manual to get the official setup guide for your printer setup. But we will highly recommend taking the help of professional for better throughout guidance.