Being of the most trusted router manufacturer brands, Cisco router offers unmatched features that provide users with a lot of facilities. But at times, this device also undergoes technical breakdowns. It develops various errors that might hamper the performance of your router. However, updating a router’s firmware helps to solve various serious issues and enhance the performance of your router. Therefore, it is very essential to know how to update Cisco router firmware. In case, you are unaware of how to update the firmware, do not worry. In this article, we are going to discuss all the probable solutions and methods that will successfully help you to update the router firmware.
How To Update Router Firmware Cisco? Quick Solutions
Updating the router’s firmware is no rocket science. If you are aware of the technicalities of router you can easily do it with a couple of manual tweaks. Furthermore, if your firmware is up-to-date your router will always run smoothly and fix the necessary bugs. Therefore, apply the following methods that are given below.
- Open a web browser from a computer or WiFi device that is connected to the network.
- Use an ethernet cable to connect your computer to your router.
- Now, enter http://www.routerlogin.net.
- Enter the routers username and password. The username is the admin and the default password is password. Remember, the username and password are case-sensitive.
- Now, click on the Advanced tab and select the Administration.
- Click on the Firmware Update or Router Update.
- Click the Check button.
- Now, to download and install it successfully click the Yes button.
If method 1 doesn’t work, try the next method:
- At first, visit www.Cisco.com/support.
- In the search box, type your model number.
- If a drop-down menu displays, select the desired router mode.
- If no drop-down menu appears, ensure to enter your model number correctly. You can also select a product category to get the product model.
- Now, click on the Firmware and Software Downloads.
- Select the firmware version that you want to download which is under Current Versions.
- Then click the Download button.
- Unzip the downloaded file and run the .exe file.
- Follow the instructions that come on-screen to update the firmware on your device.
Try the following steps only after acquiring the IP address:
- Using the Ethernet cable, connect to your router.
- Then, open your web browser.
- Enter the IP address of your router in the address bar
- Now you will be prompted to enter a username and password. Get the login information from the router’s manual or through online.
- After the login process is completed, look for the Firmware or Router Upgrade option.
- Go to the Administration option and then click on the Utilities or Maintenance section.
- The current version of your firmware along with its release date will be displayed on the screen once this section is located.
- Now, head over to the manufacturer’s website of this router and then go to the Support section.
- Search for your router model and check whether there are any firmware updates available or not.
- If you find any of the updates are pending, download them.
- After the downloading, the firmware, extract the folder to your Desktop on your PC.
- In the Update section of your router, you will find a browse option, choose the File button which is available.
- To find the router update file on your PC, click the button.
- By double-clicking it, select the file
- After selecting the updated file, start the upgrade process.
- Wait until the process finishes.
- Your router will restart and you’ll have a new firmware installed only after the update process is completed.
The above steps will effectively help you to update the router’s firmware without any hassle. In case, you are confused or perplexed, do post your comments below.