Most of us do not know that Chromium is not a virus. Basically, it is an open-source web browser project. Hijackers or malware developers use this web browser’s name to send unwanted programs. If you locate this program on your system then it might damage the system files.
Although Chromium is harmless, it can be a serious security risk if it is misused. Better you be careful if you are using this open-source browser in your system and if you find any abnormal behavior then you need to uninstall it as soon as possible.
So, if you are keen to learn how to uninstall Chromium from Windows and Mac devices at the earliest. Here, we will discuss all the methods and steps so that you can apply and remove this open-source browser project by yourself.
How to Uninstall Chromium on Windows 10?
Whether you are using the Chrome browser or not, Chromium Virus can invade the system you are using. If you do not remove its core files then it can reinstall in the system automatically.
The symptoms of this virus are pop-up ads, the random opening of web pages and others. So, it is better you uninstall Chromium and save your computer from further damage.
Delete Chromium through Windows Control Panel
- Press the Windows key and open the Start menu.
- Choose Settings from the list.
- On the left side, from the menu, click on the ‘App & features’ option.
- Locate Chromium and right-click on it and select the Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall and start the uninstallation process and remove Chromium from the system.
Remove Chromium from Browsers
After removing Chromium from the Windows Control panel, you need to uninstall Chromium from all the browsers that you use on a regular basis.
- Launch Google Chrome, press Alt+F keys and select the Tools option.
- Select Extensions and try to locate Chromium.
- Click on the trash can icon to delete all the associated files.
- Launch Firefox and press Shift+ Ctrl+A keys.
- Select Chromium and click on the Disable or Remove button.
- Open Internet Explorer and press Alt +T keys.
- Select the Manage Add-ons option.
- Choose ‘Toolbars and Extensions’ and choose the Disable Chromium option.
- From the bottom-left corner, select More Information link.
- Finally, choose the Remove button
Eliminate the Following Files and Folders associated with Chromium
There are also some files and folders of Chromium that you have to remove from the system.
If none of the methods works then you can use the following hacks given below:
- Close all the Browsers
- Launch Task Manager.
- Locate the Chromium process (It will have a blue logo similar to the Chrome browser).
- Remove all the chrome.exe or chromium.exe from the Task Manager window.
Note: You can also use any reliable antivirus software, run a full scan and remove all the suspicious and unwanted programs from the system.
How to Uninstall Chromium on Mac?
Most of the Mac users prefer to use Chrome browser. It is the second most popular browser after Safari. But like Windows, your mac device can be infected by this malicious browser. So, here we are providing you a complete guide on how to uninstall Chromium on Mac.
Remove Chromium Manually
- Open the Utilities folder.
- Find out the Activity Monitor icon and double-click on it.
- Search the entries for Chromium and Chromium Helper under activity Monitor.
- Select both Chromium and Chromium Helper and hit the Quit Process.
- Choose the Force Quit option from the dialog box to confirm the process.
- Click the Apple Finder, expand the Go menu and choose the “Go to Folder” option.
- Now, type and paste /Library/LaunchAgents in the folder box.
- Once you see the LaunchAgents directory, locate the following entry in it and then move it to the Trash:
- Go to the ~/Library/LaunchAgents by using the “Go to Folder” feature and find out the same entry that is mentioned above and move it to the Trash.
- Navigate to the ~Library/Application Support folder find Chromium and send it to the Trash.
- Click on the Go option and choose Applications.
- Locate the entry for Chromium.app on the interface, right-click on it and choose “Move to Trash” from the context menu. If you are asked to give the password then enter it.
- Navigate to Apple Menu and click on the System Preferences option.
- Choose Accounts and hit the Login Items button. A list of items will appear. You need to search Chromium, runChmm or org.chromium.chromoting.me2me.sh and click on the “-” button.
Reset Web Browsers on Mac to Remove Chromium
If you want to eliminate Chromium on Mac then reset the web browsers. Implement the steps given below, based on your preferred browser.
- Start the browser and navigate to the Safari menu.
- Choose Preferences from the drop-down list.
- Once you see the Preferences screen, click the Privacy tab.
- Locate the “Remove All Website Data” option and click on it.
- Hit Remove Now” and then the Details button.
- Finally, locate and click on Remove or Remove All.
- Click on the Done button and exit the page.
- Start Google Chrome browser and select the “Customize and Control Google Chrome menu” icon.
- Choose Options to get a new window.
- Under the Hood tab, click on the “Reset to defaults” button.
- Start Firefox and choose Help-Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the Reset Firefox button.
Uninstall Chromium Via Uninstaller Tool
If none of the methods work then you can try the Uninstaller tool. There are several removal tools that will help you to remove Chromium from the system. With these tools, you can manage extensions and protect your privacy.
These tools will remove all the tracking cookies from the system and free up the disk space. All you need to do is download and install these tools.
Once you complete the download, these tools will scan the system files and display the status report and detect the number of issues. You can go to the Uninstaller option and remove Chromium and make the system error-free.
After using all these methods, if you are unable to remove this Chromium virus from the system then you need to uninstall any recently installed applications. Try to avoid installing the application that is non-certified and non-verified.