Whenever you encounter an issue with your Firefox browser, it is advisable to start Firefox in Safe Mode. It is because of the reason that it often facilitates troubleshooting and fixation of the problems in your browser. When you start Firefox in Safe Mode, it turns off the hardware acceleration, disables add-ons, and resets settings to fix problems. Therefore, safe mode is an essential error-solving mode for Firefox. Hence, you want to know how to start Firefox in Safe Mode to make the best possible use of this feature.
Methods To Start Firefox In Safe Mode
Here are the five simple ways by which you can enable Safe Mode in Firefox.
- Click the ‘Help’ icon and select ‘Restart with add-ons disabled’ option.
- A popup Window appears, where you need to click the ‘Start in Safe Mode’ button.
- Firefox then automatically restarts in Safe Mode with disabled add-ons.
Enable Safe Mode In Firefox By Using The Run Box
- Press Windows key and ‘R’ to open the Run box.
- Type Firefox Safe Mode in the Run box and press ‘Enter’.
- Click the ‘Start in Safe Mode’ button in the Firefox Safe Mode Window.
- Firefox then starts in the Safe Mode.
Use The ‘Shift’ Key To Start Firefox In Safe Mode
- Hold down the shift key on your keyboard and click the Firefox icon on your desktop.
- Select the ‘Start in Safe Mode’ option in the Firefox Safe Mode Window.
- Firefox starts and scans your PC for errors.
- It makes the changes required in settings, extensions, and so on to fix the ongoing issues.
Use The Command Line To Start Firefox In Safe Mode
- Press Windows key and ‘R’ together to open the Run box on your computer.
- Type ‘cmd’ in the Run box and press ‘Enter’.
- The Command Prompt opens without administration rights.
- Type the command ‘start firefox-safe-mode’ in the Command Prompt and press ‘Enter.’
- Select ‘Start in Safe Mode’ option in the Firefox safe mode Window to start Firefox.
Use Firefox Shortcut To Enable The Safe Mode
- Right-click on the Firefox shortcut icon available on your desktop.
- Select ‘Properties’ and click the ‘Shortcut’ tab.
- At the end of the Target’ field in the ‘Shortcut’ tab, type ‘-safe-mode.’
- Click on ‘Apply’ to implement the action.
- Double-click on the Firefox shortcut to open the ‘Firefox Safe Mode.’
- Select the ‘Start in Safe Mode’ option to start Firefox.
Troubleshooting Problems In Safe Mode
- After starting Firefox in Safe Mode, see whether the problems you were facing are repeating themselves or not.
- If the problems persist in the Safe Mode also, then they are not occurring due to themes and extensions.
- It refers that the problems may be arising due to plugins or changes made in the Firefox preference settings. It is because Safe Mode does not disable plugins or the changes made to these settings.
This process helps you ensure that you need some other measures to restore these problems.
Exit Safe Mode
Now once you have solved your problem in Safe Mode, you need to exit from it. Otherwise, you cannot carry on other works on your computer. So follow the steps from below to do that:
- Click the Firefox Menu and select ‘Exit’ and start Firefox normally.
- If you cannot start Firefox normally then, click the ‘Menu’ button in Firefox.
- Click ‘Quit’ and restart ‘Firefox’.
- Uninstall Firefox from your PC.
- Download the latest Firefox and wait for a few minutes until the download is over.
- Double-click on the installation file of Firefox and follow the installation wizard.
- After the installation is completed, click the ‘Finish’ button.
- Re-open Firefox and check that it is starting normally.
Hopefully, after following all the methods from above, you will be able to start Firefox in Safe Mode and resolve various browsing troubles.