Seldom, Windows 10 users need to run CHKDSK for resolving some errors that are related to the disk. If users run this command at least once in a week, then it will be fruitful for them. CHKDSK helps to improve the performance and detect the disk errors. It is a default utility for repairing all sorts of disk issue. It is basically a system command that displays the disk space and also identifies the problems present in the hard disk. Thus if you are looking for the accurate methods on how to run CHKDSK, then this article is the right place for you.
Go through the entire article and try to fix your doubts on your own. It is highly recommended to execute all the methods properly and do not skip any step as well.
Why do Users Need to Know How to Run CHKDSK?
You might need to run CHKDSK on various occasions. And for that reason, you should know the exact processes of that. Here, in this section, you will find the reasons to operate CHKDSK command in your device.
- In case the hard disk gets corrupted, then operating the CHKDSK command can help you to figure out the issue.
- If the motherboard of your system fails to detect hard disk, then you might face an issue with the BIOS. Also, you will be restricted to use hard disk while working with your PC. At that time, running CHKDSK command can help you to get rid of the error.
- In any case, if the SATA ports stop working, then it will not detect the hard drive when you turn on your device as well. On that particular time, the CHKDSK command can resolve the issue.
- If your hard disk gets attacked by a virus or malware then you might encounter the abnormal behavior of your hard disk. In that situation, it is better for you to run the CHKDSK command in order to get rid of the error.
How to Run CHKDSK: Stepwise Instructions
If you are seeking for the procedures on how to run CHKDSK Windows 10, then have a look at this section and perform the methods one after another carefully. Moreover, here we are going to discuss a brief guide to do the same. But you have to perform some fundamental methods first just like scanning and updating your device.
Run CHKDSK Utility from your Computer
- The very first thing you have to do is to double-click on the “Computer” icon. As an alternative method, you can also choose the Start button as well.
- After that, navigate to the hard drive option and right-click on the hard drive you want to run CHKDSK.
- Now, move to the Properties option from the drop-down menu.
- Here, you will find a number of options. Select “Tools” and click on it.
- Now, from the “Error Checking” part, tap on the Check icon and let your device check for the disk error.
- You will be asked to check the disk if there is any problem.
- Now, you have to select the “Scan Drive” option and let your device perform a full scan. It is suggested not to turn off your device while the scanning process is going on.
- At the final step, reboot your device for once more and then check if the disk error gets solved or not.
How to Run CHKDSK from Command Prompt?
- The first and foremost thing you have to do is to tap on the Start button and navigate to the taskbar that is located at the left side of the screen.
- After that, tap on the Command Prompt from the Win+X menu and click on it. The Command Prompt will open on the screen as well.
- Now, you have to start the option as an elevated Command Prompt.
- In case you meet with a User Access Control dialog, then choose the Yes icon and tap on it.
- Now, type ‘chkdsk X:’ in the Command Prompt and follow the parameters which you want to perform.
- Then, tap on the Enter key.
- Now, you have to specify the action you want to perform while the disk is checking.
- The command /f will indicate that CHKDSK error present on your device.
- The .r command tells you the CHKDSK is trying to find the bugs that are present in the drive and recover the information as well.
- The last but not the least, command /x will tell you about the dismounted files that are forced to scanning.
- Now, you have to ut a proper command and keep waiting for the CHKDSK to do the rest of the method.
- At the final step, restart your device and check if you successfully run the CHKDSK command or not.
To Wind Up
As the methods are a little bit tricky so you have to perform all of them very accurately. But in case you find any sort of difficulties while executing the methods, then write to us addressing your queries. We will be eager to know your feedback.