Most of the Windows users have encountered that their Windows 10 hard drive slow down while using them. This problem appears when the hard drive is fully infected due to malware or viruses. Sometimes, if the SATA cable is not connected accurately, then it can slow down the SATA HDD without any signal. Moreover, if you do not remove the temp files properly, then it can also cause this issue. Further, it can also lead to 100% disk usage error. If you are in this situation and your hard disk is slow, then check the solutions which are listed in this article. Here, you will get to know all the necessary information about the slow hard drive Windows 10. After executing all the steps you can easily get rid of this issue.
Easy Hacks to Fix Slow Hard Drive Windows 10
When you see the hard drive slow, you can restart the system. Then, check if the issue is fixed or not. In the section below, we are going to discuss some useful solutions to overcome the slow hard drive Windows 10 issue.
Fix 1: Turn Off the Windows Search
If the Windows Search is turned On, then you can face the issue of slow hard drive Windows 10. First, you must disable the Windows search. This problem can increase the load on the physical system, so you need to follow the steps which are mentioned below:
- Press the Windows Home button + X key to launch the Menu list. Select the Command Prompt (Admin). Alternatively, press the Windows button along with the S key to launch the Search box, type ‘cmd’ and right click on the Search Result. Choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option.
- From the Command Prompt window, type ‘net.exe’ to stop “Windows Search” and then press the Enter button.
- Once it completes, open the Run box by pressing the Windows Home button and R key. In the Run box, type ‘services.msc’ and then, press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- From the Services window, find the Windows Search, double click on it.
- In the Windows Search properties page, go to the Startup Type menu list and select the Disable option. Then, click on the OK option. Now, the Windows Search is turned Off.
Fix 2: Run Check Disk
Another method that can help you to resolve the Windows 10 slow hard drive performance problem is to run the Check Disk tool. To do so follow the following steps:
- Hold the Window button and press the X button to launch the menu list. Choose the Command Prompt (admin) button. Alternatively, click on the Windows button to open the list. Select the Search box, type cmd and then right click on it to launch the Menu list. Select the Run as administrator button.
In the Command Prompt window, write the following command and then hit the Enter button from the keyboard: “chkdsk.exe /f /r”
- Once it is finished, restart the system.
Fix 3: Check the TRIM Command
To maintain the hard disk performance, you need to use the TRIM command which is very important. Therefore, ensure that the TRIM command is activated and supported. To complete this follow the undermentioned points:
- Firstly, you need to press the Windows button + S key together to launch the Search Panel, type ‘cmd’ and then right click on it. Select the ‘Run as Administrator’ option.
Type “fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify” in the Command Prompt window and then press the Enter button.
Once it completes, then you get 0 as a result, it means TRIM is turned On. If you get 1, then you can again launch the Command Prompt window. Type “fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0” command and then press the Enter button.
- Once done, restart the system.
Fix 4: Turn Off Superfetch
In some cases, if the Windows Superfetch Service is turned On, then it can be a possible reason for this problem on your Windows 10 device. To turn it Off follow the points:
- At first, you have to go to the Search Panel, type ‘cmd’ and right click on it. Choose an option which you get from that list is ‘Run as Administrator’ option.
- When the Command prompt window opens, type “net.exe stop superfetch” command and then, press the Enter button to run this command.
- Once it finishes, restart the system and then, check whether the problem is resolved or not. If not, then you can follow the next one.
Fix 5: Remove the Temporary Files
You need to delete the temporary files properly. If you do not remove them, then it can hamper on the hard disk. To solve it follow the points given below:
- Press the Windows Home button + R key to launch the Run box. Type ‘temp’ and then press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- In the Temp folder, you need to select all the temp files and then, click on the Delete option.
- Once it finishes, check to see whether the problem still appears or not.
Fix 6: Turn Off the Windows Defender and Disable the Third-Party Antivirus
This is an alternative solution that can resolve the Windows 10 hard drive slow issue. If you do not know how you can do that, then follow the under mentioned steps:
- Firstly, you need to press the Windows Home button + I key to launch the Settings window. Alternatively, open the Search box, type ‘Settings’ and then press the Enter button.
- From the Settings window, you will find the ‘Update and security’ section, double click on it.
- Click on the Windows Defender in the left side panel from the ‘Update and Security’ section. Then, turn Off the “Real-time protection” and “Cloud-based protection” options to disable it.
After doing this, if the problem is still there, then you need to turn Off the third-party antivirus. To do that,
- Launch the Third-Party antivirus application and then click on the Settings tab. In the Settings tab, click on the Disable option to turn Off it.
Alternatively, you can simply uninstall it to resolve this issue on your PC.
- Press the Windows Button + X key together to open the Settings window.
- Double click on the Apps and Programs section from the Settings window.
- In the ‘Apps and programs’ section, scroll down the page and find the Third-party antivirus application. Click on the Uninstall button. Once it is done, restart the system.
Fix 7 – Turn Off Useless Application at Startup
Some programs that you don’t use it often, uses a lot of memory. These programs can cause the system to run slowly as well as makes the hard drive slow. So, you can easily disable this launch program on the Windows 10 system. Just follow these steps:
- Firstly, on the keyboard, hold and press the Ctrl+Shift+Esc buttons together to launch the Task Manager window. Alternatively, click on the Start button. Select the Run option and in the new window, type ‘Task manager’ and then, press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- Move the cursor to the Startup section, from the Task Manager window. Then, select the application that you do not use at this moment, and click on the Disable option.
Fix 8: Optimize Drivers
You can also try this solution to resolve the Windows 10 slow hard drive performance issue on your device. Follow the steps given below:
- Click on the Search panel, write ‘Defragment and Optimize Drives’ and then hit the Enter button.
- In the Optimize section, select your HDD and then click on the Optimize option.
Fix 9: Change the SATA data cable
This is another easy solution to resolve the issue of the slow hard drive. It is mainly for the hard drive that crashes during a quick file transfer rate, so you need to detach the SATA data cable from the first SATA port on the motherboard. Then, connect the same cable into another SATA port.
Fix 10: Delete the virus from the Hard Drive
You have to delete the virus or malware from the hard drive on the system. You can do that follow the instructions mentioned below:
- By pressing the Win + X keys to launch the Menu list. Choose the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
In the Command prompt window, type “attrib g:*.* /d /s -h -r -s” (replace the g with your external drive letter) and then hit the Enter button.
- Once it completes, restart the system.
We hope, the above-mentioned solutions will be sufficient to resolve the slow hard drive Windows 10 issue. Follow the steps carefully and implement them on the system to fix this issue. After performing all these methods you can easily fix this problem on the Windows 10 system. In case, if you face any problem, then you can take expert help.