Are you constantly viewing ads in the form of pop-ups while browsing the internet? If the web browser you are using redirects constantly to unwanted websites, then there is a fair chance that the system is affected by the Browser Hijacker.
The Browser Hijacker is a type of malware and commonly known as Browser Redirect Virus created. It has the ability to modify the settings of the browser without the consent of the users.
You can face several other difficulties due to this malware. Generally, this is used by hackers to track the general activities of the user. Hence, if you are trying to remove the browser redirect virus from your computer, then follow the guide thoroughly.
General Symptoms associated with Browser Redirect Virus
Here are some typical symptoms of this virus that you can see once this malware infects the computer:
- The search engine and homepage will change automatically without your permission.
- Web pages that you want to open will not open normally.
- New plugins, extensions, or toolbars suddenly keeps appearing in a loop.
How to Remove Browser Redirect Virus?
Here are the simple ways that you can perform to remove this virus from the system. Perform the solutions explained below. Since Google Chrome is one of the most preferred browsers so the solutions primarily answers your queries on how to remove redirect virus from Chrome.
Fix 1: Uninstall the Malicious Programs from the Computer
First, you can try to identify the malicious programs that are harming your computer. Remove them to get rid of the redirect virus. To do that, you can perform the steps as follows:
- In the beginning, navigate to the Start menu and open the Control Panel.
- Afterward, navigate to the ‘Programs and Features’ category.
- Next, click on the ‘Uninstall a program’ option from the Programs section.
- Now, you will see a complete list of all the programs that are installed on the system.
- Find out the malicious program by scrolling down the list and right-click on it.
- Tap on the Uninstall option from the list.
- Click on the Yes button from the confirmation pop-up box.
Now, you can check if the redirect virus is removed from the system. Else, you can perform the next solution stated below.
Fix 2: Reset the Browser Settings to Default
You can reset the settings of the web browser to eradicate the redirect virus from the system.
This will eliminate the problem and you can use the browser without any hassle.
How to Reset the Browser Settings?
To reset the browser settings you can follow the steps given below:
- Launch the Google Chrome browser and open the Chrome menu.
- Click on the Settings option and tap on the Advanced button.
- Now, go to the ‘Reset and clean up’ section and click on the ‘Reset settings to their original defaults’ option.
- A dialog box will be displayed. Tap on the ‘Reset Settings’ button from the pop-up box.
After that, you need to wait for a few seconds until the resetting process completes. Now, if you see that the virus still persists, then move on to the further solutions.
Fix 3: Remove the Toolbars, Extensions, and Add-ons
You can also remove this virus by removing the toolbars, extensions, and add-ons of the browser.
To remove the toolbars, extensions, and add-ons of the Chrome browser, first open the browser and then open the Chrome menu. Select the ‘More tools…’ option from the list.
Now, tap on the ‘Extensions’ option (else, you can also open it by typing “chrome://extensions” in the search field). Afterward, click on the ‘Remove’ button of that particular extension that you want to remove from the system.
Chrome also comes with the in-built ‘Clean-up tool’ that will find by going to the browser settings. Go to the Advanced section and search for the ‘Clean up computer’ option. Next, click on the ‘FIND’ button to eliminate the malicious software of the system.
Fix 4: Change the Proxy Settings
According to some users, they have removed the redirect virus by changing the Proxy settings of the browser.
How to Change the Proxy Settings of Google Chrome?
- First of all, launch the browser and go to the menu.
- Click on the Settings option. Now, go to the Advanced section.
- Navigate to the System section and tap on the ‘Open proxy settings’ option.
- It will navigate you to the Internet Properties window. Tap on the ‘LAN settings’ option from there.
- Next, make sure that the box next to the ‘Use Proxy server for your LAN’ and ‘Automatic Detect Settings’ is unticked.
- Lastly, tap on the OK button to complete this method.
Now, you can check if the redirect virus persists or not. Otherwise, you can verify the Domain name server settings.
Fix 5: Check the Domain Name Server Settings
If all the above hacks fail to eliminate the redirect virus then you can perform this method as your last resort. Check if the router has the correct DNS settings from the internet service provider.
Here are detailed steps on how to perform this:
- First and foremost, open the Control Panel by going to the Start menu.
- Then, navigate to the ‘Network and Internet’ category and choose the ‘Network and Sharing Center’ option.
- Tap on the ‘Change adapter settings’ option.
- Next, choose the ‘Local Network’ that you are using currently and right-click on that.
- Tap on the Properties option from the down-down list.
- It will open the Local Area Connection window. Choose the ‘Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)’ from there.
- Afterward, tap on the Properties option from the next page.
- It will navigate you to the Internet Protocol window. Choose the ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’ and then ‘Obtain DNS server address automatically’ option.
- At last, tap on the OK button to apply the new changes.
Now, you can check whether the browser redirect virus is removed. Else, you can also remove this malware by using an antimalware program. There are several antimalware programs available on the internet. Download and install it on your computer. Afterward, scan the entire system using the application and remove the malware from the system.
We hope this article will help you to get rid of this problem. After applying the above steps, if you have any doubts or queries then you can share that in the comment box.