Wireless networking system has grown leaps and bounds with rapid technological development. Routers are one of them. Nowadays, with the help of a router, you can access the network both wirelessly and using ethernet, whichever suit your requirement. However, one of the major drawbacks of using a router is the login issue. Even if you own a Cisco router, then also you might face login issues at times. Don’t fret in such a situation. Instead, search for viable alternatives regarding how to login to Cisco router.
Detailed Guide to Login to Cisco Router
Router Web interface is a type of control panel of your Cisco router. This is the place where you can change the network name, Wifi network name, and password, DHCP client addresses, firewall setting of your website. That’s why it is very important to know how to login to it.
Even though Cisco router login is a common problem among the new router users, but it not a rocket science. If you know the exact procedures to access the router then anyone can log in to the Cisco router without technical proficiency. There are only two methods available to do so, but both of them is 100% authentic unless your device is suffering from software or hardware issue. So let’s give a quick look at the available methods and check which one is appropriate for you.
Through Web Browser
If you want to login into the Cisco Router, make sure that you are connected to your Cisco router by ethernet cable or over wifi. After ensuring the connection open your device browser and write down the IP address into the address field. The most common IP address among the Cisco router is 192.168.1.1. But if it fails to work for you then you can search the default Cisco IP address from the official website for the particular model. In case you didn’t find the IP address from there then you can simply follow the below steps:
For Windows Device
- Click on the Windows logo from the home screen of your device.
- From the new window, click on the Setting icon from the bottom left corner from the menu.
- Clicking on the icon will open the Windows Settings, select the Network and Internet section from it
- Once you select it, a new window will open on the screen. Scroll down a little bit and click on ‘View your network properties’ option.
- After that check for the Default Gateway’s IP address. Default gateway’s IP address mostly indicate the address of the router you are using.
For MAC Device
- Open the Apple icon from the top-left corner of Mac’s home screen.
- Then click on the System Preferences from the Apple drop-down menu.
- Now from the System Preferences page, you have to select the Network icon.
- From the new window, you have to click on the Advanced button from the middle of the screen.
- Now you have to select the TCP/IP tab from the window to get the Router Address.
Once you type and search with the right IP address, it will open the Cisco web-interface for you. Now you can simply login by typing the username or password.
This is the most commonly used method and has worked for all users.
Accessing Through Telnet
If the regular method doesn’t work for you then you can also access the Router Web interface via telnet. If you want to try this method then you have to ensure that the firewall permits all the incoming connection on port 23(Which is used for telnet). Once it’s done, enable the telnet on the VTY interfaces by entering the below mention command.
<enter secret password>
Router# config t
Router(config)# line vty 0 4
Router(config-line)# login local
Router(config-line)# password experanswer
Router(config)# username admin password enterthisrouter
Router# copy run start
Once you successfully enter the command, you will be able to land in the Router web interface. In the web interface, you have to write admin for username and enter this router for the password. Now you can easily log in to the router to perform your desired customization.
Things to Do If The Normal Methods Doesn’t Work
If the above-mentioned methods do not work for you, there is a high chance that you haven’t set some aspects before login in the router. Just securing the wifi Cisco router connection with the device and entering the right IP address is not enough for properly log in to the Router web interface. You have to check if the username or password is correct or if the Web interface is enabled or not and many more. To get a better idea, there is a detailed guide which you have to check/follow to successfully login into the Cisco Router Web Interface.
Enable the Web Interface
One of the most common mistakes users make is that they forget to Enable the Web Interface on a device. If you also make the same mistake, or dont know how to enable the Web interface then follow the below step:
- Press Windows Key + R combination to open the Run dialogue box
- In the dialogue box type cmd and click on the Enter button to open the command line window.
- In the window type talent ******. Now replace the ****** with the IP address of the router and press enter key.
- Now type the password when requested to connect to the Cisco router
Once you have applied the above mention steps you have to write down below mention command one by one in the command line window and hit the enter button.
- At first type “enable” and press the “Enter” key.
- After that type the Privileged Exec password when requested, and press the “Enter” key.
- Now type “config t” and press the “Enter” key.
- Then type “ip http server” and press the “Enter” key.
- Finally, type “end” and press the “Enter” key.
After completing the above-mentioned step you will be able to enable the Web interface for your device.
Reset the Password
Sometimes it is possible that you have to change the login password but forget it at that moment. This can also cause a login problem for you. If you are not able to remember it then the best way to resolve the problem is Resetting the Router to the Factory default setting. But keep in mind that resetting to the Factory mode means you have to reconfigure the router setting again.
- To reset to the factory mode you have to find the reset pinhole from the back side of the router.
- Once you find the pinhole, press it long to reset its setting. (The position of pin-hole or reset button may vary from router to router
- Once the reset is complete, look for the default password name and user name from the official website or manually enter it in the router web interface to login to the Cisco router.
Once you complete the Cisco router login process you can change the setting, username, and password according to your need.
These are some of the effective methods regarding how to login to the Cisco router. Hope these solutions are able to clear all of your doubts related to the Cisco router login problem. Leave your honest feedback. If you have a better option apart from the ones mentioned above, then let us know. Also, if you have further queries related to login to Cisco router then you can also contact our expert technicians for better guidance.