WordPress is one of the most popular and widely used content management systems. You can create pages and posts through WordPress, without even learning the complicated HTML codes.
But sometimes, WordPress can create problems because online applications are not all-time safe and fail to provide the requisite security. There are several reasons for which you can encounter a WordPress security issue.
You can get the error notification if the WordPress application is not up to date. Or if you use plugins and themes from untrustworthy sources. Whatever be the factor leading to this error, you need to resolve it at the earliest to prevent further glitches.
In this article, we are providing you with the best possible solutions so that you can prevent the error and mitigate all the security-related issues in WordPress. If you are facing security issues, then we would recommend that you should apply the below-mentioned methods to get better protection while using WordPress.
3 Easy Methods to Fix WordPress Security Issue
If you encounter the WordPress Security issue, you have to perform the following steps, so that you can get rid of it.
Method 1: Change the WordPress Default Username
The basic problem exists within the username that you use in WordPress to login. If the admin username “Admin”, then hackers can easily get access to it. In that case, you have to give change the username to a safe one.
How to change the username?
You need to use a secured email address to change the username. To change the username, you have to do the below-mentioned steps:
- Open WordPress and g to the “Users” section and click on the “Add New” option.
- On the next page, fill in the information that is required such as, Email Address, Username.
- Go to the “Role” section in the drop-down menu and configure the role as “Administrator” so that you can be the admin of the website.
- Then, tap in the “New User” button. Now, you need to log out from the admin account and log it in with the new user account.
- In the login dashboard, you have to provide the details of the new user accounts.
How to delete the old user account?
Just be changing the username will not help you to fix the issue, you need to delete the previous account as well. To delete the old user account you have to follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open WordPress and go to the “Users” section and click on the “All Users” option.
- From the list of the users, choose the Usernames and click on “Delete”.
- At the time of deleting the old username, you will be asked whether you want to delete the contents that were in the old user’s account.
- You need to click on the “Attribute all content to” option and choose the new username that you have recently created.
- Tap on the “Confirm Deletion” button to delete the old user account permanently
That’s it. You have now successfully changed the Username in WordPress. This will help you to provide better security on WordPress. Still getting notifications about security issues? Check out the next method, that is mentioned below.
Method 2: Use a Different WordPress UserRoles
Here is how you can deal with the problem. WordPress allows multiple users to put up with a WordPress site with predefined roles. You can adjust or even make a separate user role by just changing the user roles. This can help you to fix the security issue on WordPress.
To create a new user role on WordPress, you have to follow the steps given below:
- In WordPress, you have to activate the User role plugin and then search for the “wp-admin” option.
- From there go to the “Users” section and click on the “Add New Role” section. (e.g Comment moderator)
- Put the role title in the box next. You will find this option on the top of the WordPress tab.
- Choose the capabilities for the selected new user role and tick those from the list that is shown. Now, click on the “Add Role” button.
- Go to the wp-admin section again. From there go to the Settings section and click on “General”.
- Now, scroll down to the “New User Default Role” option and choose the newly created role that you have recently added.
Method 3: Change the Password
If the above two methods did not help you to fix the issue, then you have to change the password as well so that no one can access your WordPress account.
You have to give a strong password which includes words, punctuation, numbers well as uppercase and lowercase alphabets to build a strong password.
Now, to change the password you need to do the following:
- First, you need to go to the WordPress login page. Click on the “Lost your password?” section at the bottom of the page.
- Put the Username of the WordPress admin user and then click on the “Get New Password” option.
- You will now get an email associated with the password reset. In that email, you will get a text saying “To reset your password, visit the following address”.
- Click on that link and type the new password and confirm it. Tap on the “Reset Password” option.
You have now successfully changed the password of WordPress. By using a strong password, you can easily fix it there is any kind of security issue on WordPress.
If even applying the above methods does not help you to fix the WordPress security issue, then you can try updating WordPress. However, we hope that the above solutions are enough to help you mitigate the problem.
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment section below. And let us know which method worked for you to protect the WordPress and prevent unwanted troubles.