Windows Defender won’t turn on is one of the prominent issues faced by the users. This issue generally appears when the OS is not updated. Sometimes, it also occurs when your system is fully infected due to the malware infection. Moreover, if any third party antivirus application is installed on your system can also cause this issue. Many users have reported that this application is not turned on on their system and they want to fix this problem by own but they cannot. If you are also Windows users and facing a similar issue then go through this article carefully. Here, in this article, you will get to know the several methods that can help you resolve this problem on your Windows 10 system.
Different Methods to Troubleshoot Windows Defender won’t turn on Problem
We are going to discuss easy and effective methods to resolve the problem with Windows Defender won’t turn on in your Windows 10 system. Have a look at the section below:
Method 1 – Turn on the Real-Time Protection
When you face this problem on your Windows 10 system, you can check whether the Real-time Protection is turned on or off. If it is off then you may face this problem. So, you need to enable this on your system. Follow the steps given below:
- Press the Windows Home button and S key to launch the Search box, type Windows Defender and hit the Enter key.
- In the Windows Defender window, move the cursor to the Virus & threat protection section, select it.
- Click on the Real-time Protection to turn it on.
- After doing this, restart your system and then check whether the problem is fixed or not.
Method 2 – Change the Date and Time
If your date and time settings are wrongly set, then your Windows Defender might not work properly. To fix this problem you have to check the date and time which is properly correct or not. Follow the steps:
- Go to the Search box, type “Date and Time” and then press the Enter button.
- In the Date and Time window, click on the Change the settings option.
- Enter the correct time and date and then click on the Save option to save the changes.
Method 3 – Update the Windows System
You must keep your system up to date. Sometimes, updating your system can solve several problems that you have faced. So at first, you should check whether the system is updated or not. Follow the undermentioned steps,
- Press the Windows Home Key along with the I key to launch the Settings window. Alternatively, open the Search box, type Settings and then, hit the Enter button on your keyboard.
- In the Settings window, go to the Update & Security section.
- Navigate to the Update section on the left side.
- Click on the Check for updates option. Now your system will check whether the update is available or not.
- If yes, then click on the Update option.
- Once it is done, restart your system.
Method 4 – Change the Proxy Server
An alternative method that you can apply on your system to resolve the Windows Defender won’t turn on Windows 10 problem is by changing the Proxy server. To execute this method, follow the directions as mentioned below,
- Firstly, press the Window key + X key to open the menu list. Select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
- In the Command Prompt window, type ‘NETSH WINHTTP SET PROXY 220.127.116.11:8080 or NETSH WINHTTP SET PROXY MYPROXY.NET:8080’ and then hit the Enter key to run this command.
- Once it is completed, reboot your system and then check if the Windows Defender works properly.
Method 5 – Clean Boot your system
By performing the clean boot your system you can find the problematic applications on your system. This is a very simple and easy method. To do so follow the steps,
- Press the Win Key + R key to launch the Run box, type msconfig and then hit the Enter key or click on the OK option.
- When the System Configuration window opens, move the cursor to the Services tab and mark the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ option. Then click on the Disable all option.
- Next, go to the Startup tab and click on the Open Task Manager option.
- Now you can see a list of the Startup applications. Right click on all the applications and select the Disable option.
- After doing this, return the System Configuration window and then click on the Apply option and then click on the OK option.
- Restart your system.
Method 6 – Restart the Security Center Services
Sometimes, restart the security center can also help you to resolve this problem from your Windows 10 system. To do that by following these steps,
- Press together the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box. Write “services.msc” and then, press the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- In the Service Information window, locate the Security Center and right click on it to open the list.
- Select the Restart option.
- Once it completes, then check whether the problem has been fixed.
Method 7 – Change your Group Policy
If your group policy is turned off then you may also face the Windows Defender won’t turn on issue on your Windows 10 system. Follow the steps which are mentioned below:
- Open the Run box by pressing the Windows key and R key together.
- Type “gpedit.msc” and then click on the OK option or press the Enter button.
- In the Group Policy Editor window, in the left side panel move the cursor to the Computer Configuration > Administrative Template > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus.
- Double click on the Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus.
- Mark on the Not Configured and click on the Apply option and then click on the OK option to save the changes. Now, the Windows Defender is turned on and works properly without any issue.
Method 8 – Modify your registry
After performing the previous methods if the problem still there, then you have to use this method to eliminate this problem. The steps to follow are cited hereunder:
- Press the Windows Key + R key together to launch the Run box. Type regedit and then hit the Enter button or click on the OK button.
- In the Registry Editor window, go to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender in the left side.
- When the Windows Defender folder opens, double click on the DisableAntiSpyware.
- Set the value to 0 and then click on the OK option to save it.
Method 9 – Uninstall the Third-Party Antivirus
Uninstallation of the third-party antivirus application might be an effective solution to the problem. Here, how you can do that, follow the steps given below:
- Press the Windows + I key to launch the Settings window.
- Go to the Apps and Features section.
- Scroll down the page and find the Third-party antivirus, select it.
- Click on the Uninstall option.
- Once it is done, reboot your Windows 10 system.
Method 10 – SFC Scan
SFC tool is an inbuilt tool of Windows. With the help of this, you can easily resolve this problem from your Windows 10 system. To execute this method, follow the directions carefully,
- Open the Search box, type “cmd” and then right-click on the search result to open the list.
- Select the Run as Administrator option.
- When the Command Prompt window opens, type SFC/scannow to run this command and then hit the Enter button.
- Wait for sometimes, to execute this command.
- Once it is finished, restart the system.
Method 11- Run the DISM
If the SFC tool does not work, then you can use the DISM tool on your system to delete this issue. So you have to full run a DISM to fix the Windows Defender problem. Do as directed,
- Press the Win + X keys to open the menu list, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
- Type ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ and then hit the Enter to run this command.
- Restart your system.
Hopefully, the above-mentioned methods will definitely work to resolve the Windows Defender won’t turn on problem on your Windows 10 system. Carefully read these methods that we have provided and do these steps on your device to fix this issue. However, if you find that even after following the above procedures you fail to fix this error, then it’s better to take assistance from an expert.