When you are trying to install a plugin or theme that was previously installed on your WordPress website, then you can at times get the error “installation failed: destination folder already exists”. You can also encounter this problem when you attempt to update either a plugin or a theme.
There are two distinct reasons that trigger this problem. One, if the last version of the WordPress plugin or the theme is not completely deleted from your website. Or, if there is some malfunction during the installation of the WordPress extension or theme, then also there is a possibility for you to face this glitch.
Fixes to Resolve the Error “installation failed: destination folder already exists”
Now, we will discuss the specific methods that can rectify the “installation failed: destination folder already exists.” error.
Fix 1: Using the File Transfer Protocol
The File Transfer Protocol or FTP is a normal internet protocol that transmits files between the devices connected to the Internet via TCP/IP connection. You use an FTP client for solving this error.
- First, use an FTP client to connect to the WordPress website that you have.
- Next, append the following text ‘/ wp-content / themes’ or ‘/ wp-content / plugins’ after the URL of the WordPress website. Now, within that site, look for the directory that you are trying to install.
- After that, when you have found that directory, simply remove it.
- Now, go back to the WordPress admin page and install the theme or plugin once again.
- At last, inspect whether this error comes up or not.
Fix 2: Utilize WordPress Extension
- First, locate the ‘WP File Manager’ plugin in the WordPress website and install then activate the same.
- Once the installation and activation process of the extension is over, a new ‘WP File Manager’ menu will come up.
- Now, click on the ‘WP File Manager’ and then choose ‘/ wp-content / themes /folder’ or ‘/ wp-content / plugins /’
- Next, look for the directory of the WordPress theme or plugin that you were attempting to install and right-click on it. Then click on the ‘Delete’ option.
- At last, check whether this fixes the issue or not.