Windows is a well-known Operating System which is used by millions of users all over the world. To provide a better experience to its users, Microsoft provides several Operating System updates every year for Windows. These updates help to deal with several bugs, issues and improve the functionality of the Operating System. But what will happen if the updating feature suddenly stops working due to some reason? It can be a horrible experience for any users. Windows Update seems to be having a lot of problems lately in Windows 10. Many users are reporting various error codes while trying to update Windows and one such error code is 0x800706d9. That’s why we are here today to share our knowledge about error 0x800706d9 and their effective solution to all the Windows users.
If you try to find solutions for the problem in Google, you will get lots of remedies to solve the issue. But the problem is most of them are complicated, need a third-party application or not effective. If you are looking for an effective hack which can resolve the problem without the need for any other software, then please follow the rest of the article carefully.
What are the Reasons for the Error 0x800706d9?
One of the major reason for the problem is the system file damages, which is also a real threat to the well being of your computer. There are also some other reasons available for the Error 0x800706d9. Some of them are:
- Active or working third party Antivirus software preventing your PC/Laptop from installing the update.
- Windows Firewall is Disable
- The system gets infected with the virus or spyware
- Incomplete installation or uninstall of an application or hardware.
- Improper shutdown of the computer
Methods to Fix the 0x800706d9 Problem
Now that we have learned the actual causes for the error, it is time to fix it depending on the root of the problem. There are numbers of options available to troubleshoot and repair the error 0x800706d9. So, let’s check them out and use the appropriate one to resolve the issue in your computer:
Method 1: Turn On/Re-Enable Windows Firewall
Most of the time this particular problem caused by third party Antivirus programs which disable the Windows Firewall application. So, turning On the Windows Firewall is one of the easy and quickest ways to solve the error 0x800706d9. But, to use this method you have to log into the computer as an administrator. If your system’s firewall is already turned on then Re-enable the feature is also a good option to fix the problem. So, if you don’t know how to turn on or re-enable the Windows Firewall, then follow the guide below:
- At first log into the computer via Administrator credentials and then Press Windows Key + X to open the quick access menu.
- Now from the given list select and open the Control Panel.
- Next, click on the System and Security option from the left side panel of the current window.
- Once you have done that a new box will be open on the right side of the window. From the new box, you have to select the Windows Firewall section.
- When the Window Firewall settings page opens, click on the Turn Windows Firewall on or the Off option to open the Customize settings window. From here, you will be able to customize settings for each type of network.
- From the given list, you will be able to notice Turn on Windows Firewall option. Click on the box beside it to enable or re-enable the Windows Firewall.
After completing the above steps, restart your device and check the status of the problem.
Method 2: Check if the Windows Firewall Service is Running
Another potential way to fix the problem is to check if the Windows Firewall is Running or not. If it’s not running, then starting the function manually can permanently fix the problem for you. Here is the guide on how you can check the Windows Firewall service status:
- Turn on your computer and then press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialogue box.
- Now type services.msc and hit the Enter button to open the Service window of your computer. In the current window, you will get the list of the services available on your computer. You will be also able to check their current status, status type and log on as.
- Next, scroll down a little bit to found Windows Update and Windows Firewall option from the given list.
- Once you find them, double click on both of them, one by one to open their properties window.
- When the window opens, select the General tab and after that make sure Status type is set to Automatic. If it’s not set to the Automatic option, open the drop-down menu and choose it to change the Status type.
- Now, look for the Service status option. If it is not labeled as Running then press the Start button to active the Windows Firewall service.
- Once the above changes are made click on the Apply button to save the changes made by you and then press Ok to complete the whole procedure.
Now, simply reboot your PC and then check if you are able to fix the Windows Update Error 0x800706d9 or not.
Method 3: Troubleshooting
Using the built-in Troubleshooting option is an effective way to solve minor problems instantly. It is often used to identify the root cause of a particular error and then fix it automatically with the help of the on-screen instruction. So, you can also use the feature to solve the error code 0x800706d9. If you don’t know how to do that, then follow the below mentioned steps:
- At first, start your device and the open the Troubleshooting function with the help of Search bar.
- Now, from the left window pane select the View all option and look for the Windows Update option from the Troubleshoot computer problem list.
- Next, open the Windows Update page and follow the on-screen instruction to allow the Windows Update Troubleshoot to run.
If your system is able to find any root problem of the error 0x800706d9, then it will automatically fix the root of the problem permanently without further problem.
Method 4: Disable or Turn Off the Installed Antivirus
If you are using any third-party antivirus program on your system then it is possible that some it’s security protocol causing interruption during the downloading or installation problem.
Even though we don’t recommend to uninstall an anti-virus from a computer but you can disable the application temporarily to check if the problem is really caused by the anti-virus or not. You will be able to find the disable option from the setting of the antivirus programme.
Otherwise, if you really want to uninstall your antivirus then go to the Control Panel and then, select your antivirus from the list. After that right click on them and choose ‘uninstall’ option. If the problem is solved by this method then there is a no other option but to completely remove the anti-virus programme. But you can uninstall another anti-virus to protect your computer from malware threat.
Method 5: Rename Software Distribution Folder
If the above mention methods are unable to fix the problem, then you can Rename the Software Distribution folder in order to solve the issue. Many online user review claim that after using this method their Window update problem completely resolved. So if you want to use this method then,
- At first log into the computer and then Press Windows Key + X to open the quick access menu.
- Now from the given list select and open the Control Panel.
- Next, to stop Windows Update Services you have to write down the following command. Don’t forget to hit Enter after typing the each command
1) net stop wuauserv
2) net stop cryptSvc
3) net stop bits
4) net stop msiserver
- Now write down the following command and press Enter button to rename the SoftwareDistribution Folder
1) ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
2) ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- After renaming the SoftwareDistribution Folder you have to enable the Windows Update Services by typing the following command
1) net start wuauserv
2) net start cryptSvc
3) net start bits
4) net start msiserver
Once you are done with the command part, reboot your PC to save the changes.
Method 6: Run Disk Check Utility
If the Windows Store Error 0x800706d9 is caused by the damaged system files, then the Disk Check Utility will be a good option to repair any damaged portions and files as long as you have specified parameters. If you are interested in run the disk check (chkdsk) an attempts to fixed the problem, then please follow the below steps:
- Open your device home screen and press Window Key + X Key to open up menu in the left side of the window.
- Now select the Command Prompt(Admin) option from the given list and click Yes to run the prompt as an administrator.
- Next type “chkdsk” in the open black box, but don’t forget to leave an empty space after the “chkdsk” before typing in the drive letter (C) that you need to be scanned.
- After that, you have to specify parameters before the utility can perform necessary repair because running disk check only identifies damaged sector and files.
- Now you have to type the following into the prompt immediately after the drive letter “/f/r/x” ( Here letter f tells the utility to fix errors, letter r tells it to identify any bad sectors in the disk and letter x tells it to dismount the drive before the commencement of the scanning process).
- Next, you have to make sure that disk is not is in use. You can dismount the disk if necessary.
- After that, press Enter to start the scanning.
Once the scanning process is complete, restarts your device and then, check the status of the Error.
We hope that after applying the above-discussed solutions, you are able to fix the error Code 0x800706d9. If you have some other effective methods to solve the issue then you can also share it with us. Also, if these methods are still not able to resolve the problem for you, then we will highly recommend contacting a professional for better guidance.