M4A or MPEG 4 is a filename extension that is not compatible with certain portable auditors and devices. Furthermore, the M4A audio file only can be played with iTunes.
So, to play it on other devices without changing its original quality, you have to convert M4A to WAV format. Here, we are going to provide simple hacks that can help you with the conversion.
Effective Ways to Convert M4A to WAV
There are several ways to convert M4A to WAV. Here, we are about to discuss them, so that you can perform them without any hassle:
Way 1: Using iTunes
You can iTunes to convert an M4A file to WAV without affecting its quality. To do this, you can have a look at the steps as follows:
At first, open the iTunes app and navigate to the ‘General Preferences’ tab. Then, tap on the General button. Go to the ‘Import Settings…’ tab from the lower-left pane and then select ‘Settings’ to convert M4A to MP3. Afterward, tap on the ‘Import Settings OK’ button.
Open the drop-down menu of the ‘Import Using’ option and then select the ‘WAV Encoder’ option from the list. Confirm it from the main preferences panel.
Select the bitrate that you think the best, higher rates mean higher quality, but larger file sizes. If the space is limited, it’s better to choose with the 128 kbps size.
Tap on the OK button to confirm the Settings from the Preferences window. Go to the Library section from the iTunes source pane and choose the Music tab.
Afterward, right-click on the M4A music and then select the ‘Create WAV Version’ option from the pop-up menu.
Thereafter, right-click on the M4A file once again. Then, locate the converted WAV files of the system by clicking on the ‘Show in Finder’ option. Now, you will be able to use the M4A files for the other MP3 players.
How to Convert DRM Protected M4A to WAV using iTunes?
DRM or Digital Rights Management is a systematic approach to copyright protection for digital media. So, if the M4A files are protected by DRM, then you can convert it to WAV by using the steps as follows:
- First and foremost, open the iTunes application and open its Library. Go to the Preferences tab and then click on the Burning button.
- Select the ‘Audio CD’ option as the CD format. Then, check the ‘Use Sound Check’ box to create the playlist from multiple music albums.
- Afterward, tap on the Playlist option to burn CD. Click on the ‘Burn Disc’ option and insert a blank CD-R/W or CD-R into the DVD drive of the system.
- Next, tap on the ‘Burn Disc’ option to rip the music files from the CD. Once the process is completed, you can open the disc once again from the iTunes player.
- Thereafter, right-click on the individual tasks and click on the ‘Convert Section to WAV’ or ‘Create WAV Version’ option from the list.
It will create the WAV version of the M4A music as expected.
Way 2: Using VLC Media Player
VLC is a media player that comes with a bunch of useful features and can play almost every media format. It is not just a media player, but it also lets the users to convert the video and audio files to their preferred format.
Here are the steps you can follow to do this:
- First of all, open the VLC Media Player. Navigate to the File tab.
- Choose the ‘Convert/Stream’ option from the list. It will a dialog box.
- Afterward, tap on the ‘Open media’ option to import the M4A files.
- If you prefer, you can also drag the M4A files into the dialog box.
- Go to the ‘Choose Profile’ section and then click on the Customize button.
- Next, tap on the WAV option and then select the location where you want to save the files.
- Lastly, tap on the Apply button to complete the process.
It will save the M4A as WAV on your Mac computer.
Way 3: Using Online-audio-converter
Online-audio-converter is a free web application that can help you convert the audio files without installing it on the system. This software supports 7 output formats to convert M4A audio files, including WAV, MP3, FLAC, iPhone Ringtone, MP2, OGG, and AMR.
So, you can use this to convert your M4A audio files to WAV format. To do this, you can follow the steps provided below:
- At first, open your favored browser and visit the official website of Online-audio-converter.
- Then, tap on the ‘Open Files’ option. Here you will get the option to add the M4A audio files.
- Select the WAV option as your target audio format.
- Next, adjust the settings, audio quality, and other information (genre, year, album, title, artist, etc).
- Lastly, tap on the ‘Convert’ option to complete the process.
Now, the M4A audio files of the system are converted into the WAV audio format as expected. So, you can enjoy listening to music. To read more related topics, you can follow our website regularly.