DNS stands for Domain Name System. It helps the users to access different domain names like. For instance domains like Google.com and Yahoo.com can be accessed. To do that, DNS translates the domain names to the IP address, so the web browser can load that webpage. That’s why it is one of the most essential parts of the internet connection system.
Now, due to any reason, if you want to change the DNS number of your router, then you can do it by the following different methods. All of these methods are quite simple but they vary from router to router. Hence, you need to perform them according to your router brand and model.
In this article, we will explain you about the DNS and if you want to know “how to change DNS on router?”
Now, without wasting any time, let’s dive into it.
How To Change DNS Settings On Your Favorite Router
The routes are one of the prime devices which purely functional on the DNS servers. That’s why, if your DNS server is not working properly or it gets wrong somehow, then your router will suffer from different errors and issues.
To change the DNS number on your router first, you have to sign into the online or web-based administration page of your router. You can do it by simply typing the default IP address of your router. But, if you don’t know the IP address of your router, then you have to find it by using the Command Prompt.
IP Address On Windows OS
In order to launch the Command Prompt, you have to fire up the Window Run Dialogue Box by pressing the Windows Key + R. Then, on the Run Dialogue Box, type “cmd” and hit the OK button. Instantly the Command Prompt window will appear on your screen. Now, on that window type, “ipconfig/all” and hit the Enter Key. A list of IP address will emerge on the Command Prompt window. From that list, you have to locate the Default Gateway and IP address beside it. This is because that IP address is the Default IP address of your Routers
IP Address On Mac OS
However, if you are using a Mac OS system then you have to follow a different procedure in order to get the default IP address of your Router.
In your MacOS system first, click on the Apple menu option. There you will get the System Preferences option. Click on it and launch its page. On the System Preferences page, click on the Network preferences option. There you can find it under the ‘Internet & Wireless’ section. Now, a Network setting window will appear on your screen. On that setting window, choose the Wifi option and then, hit on the Advanced button. Then, Advanced Network setting window will open up. There you have to tap on the TCP/IP” tab. Inside that tab, you will find the default IP address of your router.
After you get the default IP address of your router, put it on the search bar of your desired browser and hit the Enter key. Now, the router’s Administration page will load on your browser. But different router contains different setting layouts, therefore, the DNS setting page placement varies from router to router.
That’s why we are only covering the DNS Changing Process of those routers which are widely used by the customers.
The DNS setting page of a Linksys router is present inside the Setup menu:
- On a Linksys router’s Administration page first, click on the setup option.
- Then, on the Setup page, click on the Basic Setup option which will present on the Setup submenu.
- Now, you will get the DNS setting page. There you have to type the correct DNS numbers, inside their respective section.
4 Once you have done that, click on the Save Settings option. After doing that, hit the continue and close the page.
In most of the cases, Linksys didn’t require any type restart after DNS number changing procedure. But to be sure, reboot your router once.
However, if this method doesn’t follow up with your Linksys router’s Administration page, then use the manual which came with your router.
Now, if you are using a Netgear then, its DNS setting page can be found into the Basic Settings option or Internet menu option.
- To open the DNS setting page first, click on the Basic option and then hit the Internet option.
- Now, on the Internet page, click on the “Use These DNS Servers” option.
- A box will appear on your page where you have to type your desired DNS number.
- After that hit the Apply button. Now, a restart prompt might arise on your screen. If it doesn’t appear then its menu your DNS changes have been activated.
But, there are some Netgear router’s modes which don’t follow up with this setting layout. If your Netgear router is one of them, then try to use the manual for the changing process.
On a typical D-link router you will get the DNS setting page on the
- Then, click on the Internet option which is present on the left side of the page.
- After that, click on the Setup menu option.
- Now, locate the Dynamic IP (DHCP) Internet Connection Type option and the type Primary Secondary DNS Address on the beneath it.
- Once you have done that, hit the Save Settings button.
- Then, it will change the DNS setting instantly but the router might ask you for a reboot.
Now, It might be possible that our setting page layout doesn’t match up with your routes setting page. If it happens with your D-link router then use the D-link support page to know about the setting.
For most of the ASUS routers, the DNS setting page lies inside the LAN menu.
- That’s why on the Administrator page first you need to click on the WAN option.
- Then, tap on the Internet Connection tab. You will find that tab on the top right section of the page.
- Now, you will get the DNS setting box under the WAN DNS Setting option.
- Type your desired DNS number there and then, hit the Apply button.
After the hit, close everything and reboot your ASUS router. Once you have done that, all the DNS setting you have made will get activated and you can start using it.
In a usually TP-Link Router, you need to open the DHCP menu in order to open the DNS setting.
- For that reason first, you have to click on the DHCP option.
- In its submenu, you will get the DHCP Settings option. Click on it.
- Now, on the DHCP Settings page, you will get the DNS setting box.
- On that box, you have to type the correct DNS numbers into their respective section.
- After doing that, Hit the Save Button.
Now, you have to reboot your TP LInk router to apply all the changes. In some situations, our setting layout might not match with your TP LInk router. On those moments, use the provided manual to know about the DNS setting page.
The DNS setting page of a Cisco router can be found in the LAN Setup menu.
- To enter into it, click on the Setup option. It will be located at the top section of the Administration page.
- Then, tap on the LAN Setup tab.
- Inside the LAN Setup tab, you will get the DNS setting box.
- Now, you have to put your DNS numbers on that setting box and then hit the Save Settings button.
After that, it may or may not be required any router reboot to apply all the DNS changes.
In a Google router, the DNS setting page hides inside the Advanced networking menu.
- To discover it first, open the Google WiFi app on your smartphone.
- Then, click on the menu option which lies on the upper-right section of the page.
- On that menu, you will get the setting option. Click on it.
- Now, on the setting page, click on the Network & General option.
- There you will find the Advanced networking option.
- Click on that option and enter into the Advanced networking page.
- In that page, you will get the DNS option.
- There you have to tap on the Custom button, in order to launch the DNS setting box.
- After that, you can type your DNS numbers on those boxes and then hit the Save Button.
Now you must be thinking why we are explaining to you about the Smartphone method, not the Desktop methods. Well this is happening because unlike, other routers you can’t access them
Google Wifi setting from a desktop.
To Sum It Up
We hope that all the methods and suggestions mentioned in this article are quite helpful to you. For any future tech. info, keep following our articles diligently.