Garmin Express is a desktop application that helps you to manage and keep all the Garmin devices up-to-date. It imparts multifunctional features, but often the users report about a common problem i.e. Garmin Express not working properly.
You may note that the application fails to update the location or manage the favorites. This issue generally appears when there are compatibility problems with the OS.
Most of the users face this problem right after updating this application from the system. Now, if you are facing this identical situation and unable to solve this issue then you need to opt for effective measures.
To fix this issue, we will be providing the solutions that would help you with both Windows and Mac OS. Further, the steps can also help to enhance the performance of the application.
Causes behind Garmin Express Not Working Issue
Here is a list of all the common causes that might be responsible for this issue on the system.
- An older version of the Garmin application.
- An outdated version of the Operating System.
- Poor internet connection.
- Corrupted Garmin application.
- Security Software or Firewall.
After knowing all the causes, now let’s take a look into the fixes in case the Garmin not working issue occurs.
How to Fix Garmin Express not Working on Windows 10?
In this section, we are going to share several possible fixes for Garmin Express not working issue on Windows OS. Follow these effective solutions very carefully as mentioned below:
Solution 1 – Update the Garmin Express Software
Updating the Garmin Express software is quite an easy task to get rid of this problem. To do that follow these steps hereunder:
- Visit the official website of the Garmin and search for the latest version of the software.
- After finding the latest version of the software, download it by clicking on the Download button.
- Once it is downloaded, install it properly. Once the installation process is complete, restart the device.
Finally, check if the Garmin Express software works properly or not.
Solution 2 – Install the Garmin Express Software in Compatibility Mode
If the above process fails then you need to install this software in compatibility mode. The following steps will help you:
- Right-click on the installation executable file of the Garmin Express software and choose the Properties button.
- From the Properties window, go to the Compatibility tab and mark on the box next to the Run this program in compatibility mode.
- Select a Windows version from the drop-down menu list.
- After that, click on the Apply option followed by the OK option.
- Next, right-click on the executable file of the Garmin Express software and choose the Run as administrator option. Now, you can install this software.
- After installing it, reboot the device and then try to launch the Garmin Express software.
Solution 3 – Disable the Windows Firewall
If the Windows Firewall is turned on then, you can see this problem on the system. So, before opening this application, you can simply disable the Windows Firewall. To disable it follow these procedures:
- At first, go to the Control Panel window and double-click on the Windows Firewall section.
- When you are in the Windows Firewall section, click on the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on and off option on the left panel.
- On the right window, mark the box next to the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (Not Recommended) option from both Public Network Settings and Private Network Settings sections.
Finally, click on the Save option and check if the firewall setting was triggering the error or not.
Solution 4 – Uninstall the Third-Party Security Software
Sometimes, third-party security software can prevent the Garmin Express application from working or opening. So, you can uninstall those applications. Go through these steps:
- Click on the Start button and select the Settings icon.
- Once you are in the Settings window, double-click on the Apps section.
- Select the Apps & Features tab and locate the third-party security software that you are using, select it.
- After that, click on the Uninstall option to begin removing process.
- Once the uninstallation process is done, reboot the system and then check if the issue persists or not.
Solution 5 – Install the Latest Version of the .NET Framework
An outdated version of the .NET Framework application can cause this issue on the system. So, you can install the latest version of this application by following these steps:
- Go to the official website of Microsoft and look for the .NET Framework application.
- Once you find it, download it and then install it properly.
- After finishing the installation process, restart the Windows 10 system.
Solution 6 – Uninstall the Garmin Express Application and Install it Again
Due to the corrupt Garmin Express application, this problem can appear on the system. So, you can uninstall it and then reinstall it. If you do not know how to do that, then follow these directions:
- Launch the Settings window and go to the Apps section.
- From the Apps section, click on the “Apps & Features” tab on the left panel.
- Scroll down the page and locate the Garmin Express software, select it. Now, you will get the Uninstall option, click on it.
- Once the uninstallation process is complete, restart your computer and then reinstall it again.
- To install it, visit the official website of the Garmin Express and download the latest version of the Garmin Express software.
- After downloading the file, install it properly.
Once the installation process is done, reboot your PC and then check if it works properly without any hassle.
Solution 7 – Update the Windows System
In order to get rid of this problem, it is important to keep the system up to date. Follow the undermentioned steps:
- Press the Windows Home button and click on the Settings.
- From the Settings window, navigate to the “Update & Security” section and then click on the Update tab on the left panel.
- On the Update tab, click on the “Check for Updates” option for check available updates.
- If the update is available, then you will get an option Update, click on it.
- Once the update process completes, the device will automatically restart.
Solution 8 – Removing Garmin Express Configuration Files
If the application configuration files are corrupted or missing, then you can come across “an unexpected error has occurred, Garmin Express needs to be close” error message. Follow these directions:
- Press the Windows Home button and R key together to launch the Run box.
- Type “%localappdata% and then click on the OK option or press the Enter key.
- In the directory section, locate the Garmin_Ltd_or_its_subsid folder, right-click on it. After that, select the Delete option from the menu list to remove it.
- After removing this folder, reboot your device.
Solution 9 – Check the Internet Connection
Garmin Express software needs a high-speed internet connection. If the internet connection is poor then you may face this issue. So, you need to check if the internet connection is properly connected or not.
If you are using the WiFi, then restart the router and then check if it works or not. If not, then you can use the Ethernet cable and check if the issue is fixed or not.
How to Fix Garmin Express Not Working on Mac System
If you are Mac users or the Garmin Express is not working on the Mac system, then follow the under mentioned solutions:
Solution 1 – Update the Garmin Express Software on Mac
If the Garmin Express software has not been updated, then it may fail to work properly and shows the “Garmin Express not responding” error message on the screen. Here’s how to do that:
- Go to the official website and find the latest version of the Garmin Express application.
- After that, download this application and then install it.
- After finishing the installation process, restart the Mac system and then check if the problem is resolved or not.
Solution 2 – End Garmin Express Related Process
After updating the Garmin Express software, if the problem still arises, then you can end all the Garmin Express related processes. Here are the techniques that you need to follow:
- At first, find the Garmin Express icon from the Dock, right-click on it. Choose the Quit option.
- After that, click on the Garmin Express which is present at the top of the menu bar near to the Apple icon. Select the Quit Garmin Express option.
- Once you are done with these steps, check if the issue still appears or not.
Solution 3 – Reinstall the Garmin Express Software
Corrupted Garmin Express software can definitely result in this issue on the Mac system. So, you can simply reinstall it as soon as possible. Let’s take a look at the steps given below:
- From the Dock, click on the Finder icon to launch the Finder window.
- When you are in the Finder window, select the Applications tab on the left panel.
- Find the Garmin Express application, right-click on it.
- Choose the “Move to Trash” button from the menu list.
- After that, right-click on the Trash icon and select the Empty Trash button.
- After uninstalling it, reboot the Mac system and then install it again.
- So, visit the official website of the Garmin Express and install the latest version of the Garmin Express application.
- Once the installation process is done, restart your Mac PC and then try to launch the Garmin Express application to check if it runs correctly or not.
Solution 4 – Update the Mac Operating System
If you are using an older version of the Mac OS, then you can face the Garmin Express not working issue on the Mac system. So, you must keep the system up to date. To know more about it follow these directions cited below:
- Click on the Apple icon to open the list and select the System Preferences.
- From the System Preferences window, go to the Software Update section and check if any updates are there or not.
- If yes, then click on the Update button.
- After updating the Mac system, open the Garmin Express application.
Solution 5 – Remove the Third-party Security Software
Third-party security software can also cause the Garmin Express not responding issues. So, you can remove it by following these directions as stated below:
- Open the Finder window. Select the Applications tab on the left panel.
- Look for the third-party antivirus software, right-click on it. Select the Move to Trash option.
- After that, right-click on the Trash icon and choose the Empty Trash button.
We hope the solutions which are mentioned above will help you to resolve Garmin Express not working issue both in Windows and Mac systems.
Try to follow these steps carefully and perform these acts accordingly to get rid of this issue. You can state your queries in the comments below.