The Mac device, introduced by Apple is part of the most trusted and secured operating system. The primary concern of security is a password. By any chance, if you forget the password, then you just need to reset it. If you forgot Mac password, then you may find this article helpful. Read the entire article to know the procedure of resetting the password.
Stepwise Guide to Reset Mac Password
Here, we have listed the steps which can help you to get your answer on how to reset Admin password on Mac. Go through the undergoing steps to get to the detailed procedure.
Change the Password
If you need to change your Mac password, then follow the steps which are mentioned in the below part of the article. You can reset your password while using the Users and Groups preferences, to do it follow the steps written below:
- At first, select the System Preferences option, which is located on the Apple menu. Then, click on the ‘Users and Groups’ option.
- After that, you have to select the provided user name from the list of users.
- Then, go to the Change Password button. And, follow the onscreen instructions which will be shown to you.
Reset the Mac Password
If you are unable to recognize your Mac password, or if your Mac password is not working. Then, you should try to reset your Mac password. The upcoming steps will help you reset your Mac password. Go through steps to resolve the issue:
- At first, you have to be sure that you are typing the exact password, using the proper uppercase or lowercase characters.
- After that, check if the password field is showing any question mark. If so, then, click on the display, with a password hint option, this will help you to recognize the password.
- Then, you should try to log in without a password. While completing all the steps mentioned before, you should be able to regenerate a new password by following the guidance under ‘change your password’ option.
- After, completing all the steps, you have to log in with the Apple ID password which you are using for the iCloud.
- If you have already changed the password and, if you find that your new password is not working, then take try to use the old password. Check if the problem is resolved or not.
Reset the Password through the Apple ID
You can use your Apple ID, this will serve you to make a new password. First, you have to register the password at the login screen, keep trying continuously to receive the message “regenerate your password using the Apple ID that you have obtained”. If the message does not arrive, then you need to reset your account with the Apple ID. Here are the steps to reset Mac password by using the Apple ID:
- To do it at first, you have to click on the Play icon, which is located next to the Apple ID message. After that, you have to follow the on-screen instructions. This will help you to access the Apple ID which you are using and it will also help you to generate a new password.
- After that, you will be asked to restart your Mac device.
- Then, you will be able to log in with your new password.
- But, you have to determine whether to create a new login keychain or not.
Reset the Password with Another Admin Account
If the name and password of any Admin Account are known to you, then this may help you to resolve your problem.
- At first, you need to log in with the name and password of the admin account which is known to you.
- After that, select the System Preferences from the Apple menu. Then, click on the ‘Users and Groups’.
- Then, click on the Lock icon and insert the Admin name and password.
- Now, find out your user name from the list of users.
- At the next step, to generate a new password, click on the Reset Password button and follow the onscreen instructions.
- Then, to Log Out from the Apple menu, click on the logout option.
- After that, log in to your account with the new password.
- After completing all the steps which are mentioned before, you have to determine whether to make a new login keychain or not.
Reset Using the Reset Password Assistant
If you want to go through the Mac password reset process, then you can try the Reset Password Assistant option. But, you need to turn On the FileVault to do it. Try the steps which are mentioned below to reset the password.
- At first, wait for a few minutes to log in to the screen. You need to wait till you receive a message by saying that “You can use the power button on your Mac to shut down and start up again in Recovery OS”. If you do not receive this message, then this means the FileVault is Off.
- After that, hold the Power button of your system untill it gets turned Off.
- Then, hold the Power button again, this will help you to turn on your Mac.
- After, completing all the steps which are mentioned before, the Reset Password Window which appears on the screen.
- To get a new password, you have to follow the onscreen instructions.
- Once you have done with all the previously discussed steps, then click on Restart.
- Then, use your new password to log in to your account.
- Now, you have to decide whether to perform a new login keychain or not.
Reset the Password with the Recovery Key
If File Vault is turned On and you hold the File Vault Recovery Key, you can apply that key to regenerate the password.
- At first, you have to log into the screen. Insert the password repeatedly until you get a message by saying that “You can reset your password while using your Recovery Key”. If you do not receive this message even after attempting it for three times, then this means FileVault is turned Off.
- After that, you have to click on the Play icon which is located next to the message. The password field shifts to the Recovery Key field.
- After, completing all the steps which are mentioned in the above section, enter the Recovery Key. You should use the uppercase characters and also the hyphens.
- To create a new password follow the on-screen guidance. Then, click on Reset Password. Check if the problem is resolved or not.
If none of the methods work for you, then you should try this alternative step. To do this go through the steps written below.
- At first, restart the Mac OS, then press the Command button + R key together at the same time, from the keyboard. You can choose any other Mac OS Recovery Key combinations until you find the Apple logo or a spinning globe on your screen.
- When the Mac OS Utility Window appears on the screen, you need to select the Utility option, then click on the Terminal option from the Menu bar.
- After that, type ‘reset the password’ in the Terminal window. Then, hold the Return button. This will help you to launch the Reset Password Assistant.
- After, completing all the steps mentioned before, you need to click on the ”My password doesn’t work when logging in”.
- Then, click on the Next option and then, follow the on-screen instructions for your user account.for
Construct a New Login keychain
You might notice an alert that “the system is unable to unlock your login keychain” on your screen. This might appear due to the mismatch of passwords. If so, then, select the ‘Create New Keychain’ button. You can find it in the alert section. If do not find the alert section, about the login keychain, or if you find that you are able to reset your keychain manually, then go through the steps mentioned below:
- At first, start the Keychain Access, that you can find in the Utility folder, on the Applications Folder option,
- Following the above steps, choose the ‘Preferences’ from the ‘Keychain Access’ menu, then press the ‘Reset My Default Keychain’ button in the Preferences window.
- After that, insert your present password. And, form an empty login keychain without any password. And then, click OK to approve it.
- If the “Reset My Default keychain button”does not appear, then close the Preferences Window and go to the “login” keychain which is located on the left side of the Keychain Access window of the screen.
- After that, press the Delete button from the keyboard. Then, move on to the Delete References.
- Then, go to the Apple menu to select the Log Out option and return from the login screen.
- Now, log in the account with your present password and go for it.
Hope, this article has answered your question on how to change password on Mac and the methods were beneficial to resolve forgot Mac password issue. If you have any additional information or queries, then you can leave a message in the comment section.