Laptops have a master password that is known as the BIOS password. BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is also known as “Boot Firmware”. It checks and initializes the hardware components in a laptop such as a video chip, sound card etc. Being an important factor behind the runtime services for operating systems and programs, you can not do anything without BIOS. So, it can be a problem for the users who forgot BIOS password Dell laptop and are unable to access the BIOS. But, don’t worry, here we will discuss the main steps, by which you can reset the BIOS password easily. Keep reading this article to know how to reset bios admin password on Dell laptop.
Methods to Reset BIOS Admin Password on Dell Laptop
Here, we will talk about the easiest steps that you can easily apply, to access the BIOS if your Dell laptop gets locked up. So, follow the steps below:
Method 1: Accessing the Hard Disk
A hard disk is the main element of a BIOS. So, before performing this step, you have to access the hard disk. To do it:
- At first, enter the CMOS startup menu, when you are turning on your machine, by pressing the DEL, F2 keys or Ctrl+ Alt+ Del key, at the same time from the keyboard.
- Now, during the boot sequence, go to the option Standard CMOS Setup.
- Then, for the hard disk, find the control panel. Now change the type mode into Auto and reboot the system.
- Now, you will have to access the hard disk, from this menu. You should be able to find the basic system password.
This step will you to set up the BIOS password. If you are not familiar with this method, then you can go for the next methods. It can help you to resolve this problem.
Method 2: Flashing the BIOS in Software
- First, access MS-DOS and type DEBUG in the command prompt. It will show you the Debug menu.
- Then, type the following command for the process: AMI/AWARD BIOS: “O 70 17 O 71 17 Q”
- Now, you will see the BIOS setup menu, from that set the new password.
So, this step will help you to fix the BIOS problem. If this step does not help you, then you can go for the next step.
Method 3: Access BIOS from the Support Bracket
If the above steps do not work for you, then you can perform this step.
- At first, shut down the Dell laptop completely and disconnect all the devices attached to it.
- Then, hold down the Power button for some times, to restrict the motherboard’s access.
- Now, unscrew the screws at the back end of the case.
- After that, from the last support bracket, disconnect all the cable connected to it.
- Then, reinsert the screws and turn on the laptop.
- Now, reconnect all the devices previously connected to the laptop.
You are completely done. Now, you will be able to access the BIOS again.
Method 4: Clear the CMOS Setting
CMOS contain the current BIOS setting. To perform this step follow these steps below:
- At first, disconnect the power cable from the plug.
- Then, remove the cover of the laptop.
- Locate the password connector on the system board.
- After that, remove the 2-pin jammer plug.
- Now, remove the CMOS jumper from the system board.
- At last, connect your laptop’s cables to the socket.
This process will be able to fix your Dell laptop BIOS locked problem. If not, then you can try the next step.
Method 5: Reset the CMOS Battery and BIOS
It is another method by which you can reset the BIOS. To perform this step:
- Disconnect the system for the external power source and remove the main battery from the laptop.
- Remove the cover of the Dell laptop and locate the CMOS coin cell.
- Now, remove the coin cell.
- After that, press the power shell from 5 to 10 seconds.
- Reinsert and reconnect the coin cell.
- After that, for verifying the function, assemble the units.
- When the laptop turns on you will be able to see that the time and date is not set. So, you have to set it on your own.
This basic step can easily help you to access the lost Dell laptop BIOS password.
This article gives you a brief idea of how can you access BIOS, in case, you forgot bios password Dell laptop. Hopefully, the aforementioned methods will help you to fix this problem. If you have any question, then you can post it to the comment section below.