Windows Update, basically is a highly essential component built-in with the Windows Operating system and acts significantly on every release of Windows. This enables the Operating System of the computer to download as well as install the new and latest updates with security patches, bug fixes, and drivers. The program also acts as a mechanism to integrate new features and fixes into the present Windows OS. But at times, the computer system fails to initiate a download process of such updates and new features. And this is when the Windows Update components must be repaired.
Due to specific problems, certain alpha-numeric error messages pop up and inform the users about the issues. During such times, the system fails to initiate the download process and encounters problem in installing new updates. Other issues may also come up like the failure of the Windows Update component to establish a connection with the Microsoft servers.
Users encounter such issues usually when the Update agent associated services cease running, if the required elements are faulty or corrupt or if there is an issue with the update cache. However, in such scenarios, a simple reset of the Windows Update fixes it entirely. In this article, we provide detailed procedures to repair the Windows Update Components so that you can resume with the regular workflow with ease.
5 Effective Methods To Repair Windows Update Components
If the users encounter several problems with the download process which hinders the installation of new updates, Windows Update components must be repaired immediately. In this section, we present five different procedures which are effective enough to bring about favorable changes. Therefore, stick through and implement them carefully.
Procedure 1: How to Reset Windows Update using the Troubleshooter Tool?
A significant feature that Microsoft possesses is the Windows Update Troubleshooter utility which assists in automating the process of resetting the elements of the Windows Update:
- Firstly, download the utility from the official website of Microsoft and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Select Windows Update and then click Next. When prompted, click on the option that says Try troubleshooting as an administrator option. Then, re-select that option and hit Next once again.
- Now, let the troubleshooter process and repair the issue after which you must click on Close.
- Next, re-open the Troubleshooter utility. But, make sure to select the Windows Networking Diagnostics. This actually resolves any problems regarding the network which hinders downloading updates on your system.
- After that, let the troubleshooter repair the Windows Update. Finally, proceed to Restart the computer system in order to complete the entire troubleshooting process.
Now, once the system restarts, make an attempt to update the Windows in order to check if the problem lingers or not. If yes, proceed with a different method.
Procedure 2: Install Latest Update Manually and Repair Windows Update
When you encounter frequent problems while installing fresh updates, it is a clear indication that the Windows Update components must be repaired. If the last method wasn’t productive enough, try this procedure to solve the error completely. This section discusses the way to install the latest updates of Windows manually in the presence of some problem. To do this, follow the underlying dedicated steps.
- Firstly, navigate to the website of the Windows 10 update history. Therein, browse the latest version, on the left panel, compatible for the Windows version which you are currently using. Also, make sure to note down the update KB number.
- Then, head to the website of the Microsoft Update Catalog. There, locate the update KB number. Once you find it, initiate the download process for installing the updates on your system. Furthermore, consider the processor before you click on download. If the system is capable of tackling 64-bit, make the most of it.
- Next, double-click on the file in order to install the updates. Finally, restart the computer.
After the computer system Restarts, make sure to test if the problem persists or not. Mostly, the issue gets solved completely with this process. However, if this fails, there are three other effective procedures to repair the problem comprehensively.
Procedure 3: Install the Latest SSU, Servicing Stack Update
In case the above-mentioned methods fail to bring about favorable results, Windows Update Components must be repaired via installing the latest SSU. For this make sure that the computer system holds the SSU or the Servicing Stack Update installed. To do this, adhere to the steps below:
- Firstly, launch the Settings after which proceed to click on System. Then, move on to click on About.
- Therein, under the section of the System Type, inspect the processor version if it’s a 32-bit or a 64-bit of the Windows.
- Next, navigate to the website of the Microsoft Update Catalog. Then, proceed to download the latest Servicing Stack Update.
- After that, do a double-click on the particular file in order to install the update. Finally, Restart the computer system for the changes to be effective.
Now, inspect if the computer still manifests the same error in installing the updates or not. If not, you are good to go. But, if yes, the next method will guide you through it.
Procedure 4: Repair Corrupted or Faulty System Files
One of the reasons as to why the Windows Update component ceases to function normally is the presence of corrupted system files. Multiple faulty system files hinder the otherwise smooth functioning of the Update. To fix the corrupt files, follow the detailed steps underlying:
- Launch the Start menu. Then, search for the Command Prompt. When you locate it in the list of results, make sure to right-click on it and select the option to Run as Administrator.
- Therein, proceed to enter a DISM command in order to repair the faulty system files and then hit the Enter button. The command is: dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- After that, type in the command: sfc /scannow and then hit the Enter button.
With such an effective procedure, the Windows Update error would go away conveniently and without hassle. But, if the case is otherwise, then Windows Update Components must be repaired using the successive method. Therefore, make sure to check if the problem lurks still.
Procedure 5: Employ Command Prompt and Repair the Components
If none of the above methods solve the update problem, this section will provide you with a comprehensive solution. Make an attempt to rest the Windows Update on Windows 10 manually employing the Command Prompt. This procedure requires you to type in plenty of commands. However, to do this, follow the successive step:
- Launch the Start menu and then search for the Command Prompt. Once you notice the results, right-click on it and select the option to Run as Administrator.
- Then, proceed to stop the BITS, Cryptographic service, and the Windows Update service. After that, type the commands, that we have written, chronologically and press Enter after typing each command.
“net stop bits”
Then, “net stop wuauserv”
After that, “net stop appidsvc”, and
“net stop cryptsvc”
Once again, make sure to hit the Enter button after typing each command.
Delete the qmgr*.dat files
Here, enter a command which will eliminate all the qmgr*.dat files that BITS creates. The command is:
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*”
Make sure to hit the Enter button right after this.
- Next, type “Y” in order to confirm the process of deletion. Then, enter yet another set of commands in order to clear the Update cache. This will allow the Windows 10 to download the updates once again instead of employing the probably damaged files already present on the system. The commands follow:
rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q
Hit Enter right after each command.
- Reset the Windows Update services and the BITS to their particular default security descriptor. Enter the underlying command chronologically and hit the Enter button after each command.
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
- Then, head to the System32 folder employing the command:
cd /d %windir%\system32
And then hit Enter. Windows Update Components must be repaired in a thorough manner if the easier processes don’t work.
Register BITS and Windows Update DLL files
In order to get the Update agent functioning properly, you must proceed to register the Windows Update DLL files and the corresponding BITS on the Registry. For this, type in the following commands and remember to press Enter after every line.
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
Then, “regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
After that, “regsvr32.exe /s shdocvw.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s browseui.dll
Yet another, “regsvr32.exe /s jscript.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s vbscript.dll
regsvr32.exe /s scrrun.dll
Next, “regsvr32.exe /s msxml.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s msxml3.dll
regsvr32.exe /s msxml6.dll
Then, “regsvr32.exe /s actxprxy.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll
Now type, “regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll
regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll
After that, “regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll
regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll
Next, “regsvr32.exe /s oleaut32.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s ole32.dll
regsvr32.exe /s shell32.dll
Then, “regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng.dll
Now, “regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng1.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s wucltui.dll
regsvr32.exe /s wups.dll
After that, “regsvr32.exe /s wups2.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32.exe /s qmgr.dll
Next, “regsvr32.exe /s qmgrprxy.dll”
regsvr32.exe /s wucltux.dll
regsvr32.exe /s muweb.dll
Finally, “regsvr32.exe /s wuwebv.dll”
Reset the Network Configurations
Now, you can reset the network configurations which may be a part of the issue. However, for this, type the commands,
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
And press the Enter key after each line.
Restart the BITS and Windows Update
Write the underlying commands to restart the BITS, cryptographic services, and the Windows Update. Also, press the Enter button after every line.
net start bits
net start wuauserv
Then, “net start appidsvc”, and
net start cryptsvc
Restart the Computer System
Now that you have successfully completed the entire process of troubleshooting via commands, proceed to make these changes effective. Restart the computer system and once it Starts, examine whether the update problem lingers or not. In this manner, Windows Update Components must be repaired thoroughly.
Along with granting exclusive features, the Windows also is prone to several errors. The Update procedures to integrate the computer system with the latest features also face major problems. Whatsoever is the issue, we suggest you try your hands at repairing the update components. However, if the issue lingers even then, we encourage you to consult an expert immediately. Attempting to repair an issue on your own requires less time and no m