Windows Modules Installer worker searches for new updates and also installs the ones that are in your Operating System. This is a Windows update service. In other words, we can say that this is an in-built tool in Window OS and search for any updates available and after that, it installs all the updates. You can also fix the bugs using this tool or the service.
Windows Modules Installer worker runs in the background to install the updates and fix the bugs. But this makes your system very slow and unresponsive. Now if you come across Windows Modules Installer Worker Windows 10 error, this article will help you to understand the problem and also how you can fix that issue.
If you notice that Windows Modules Installer worker is consuming a significant CPU storage you don’t have to worry about that. Before you get in touch with a technical expert to fix this issue for you, you can try some easy troubleshooting steps in order to get rid of this problem. Below are some of the methods you can try.
Make Automatic Windows Update to Manual Updates
This is the easiest way to get rid of the problem or to fix high CPU usage if you change automatic update to manual update. In this case, you have to install the update manually or do that later if you are doing some important work. So to update this Windows update manually, you need to follow the steps mentioned below:
- You need to press the Window and the R key together in order to open the run box. A small dialog box will pop up on your screen where you can type in.
- Type service.msc through the white panel and then enter the OK button from your keyboard.
- A new window will pop up on your screen. In that window, you need to click on the icon which is at the right top corner. You will get a list of information and you need to find the Windows Module Installer.
- After that, you need to double click on that option. You will get to see a new window on your computer screen. You need to locate the Startup Type and you should change that from automatic to manual. After that, you need to press down the OK button.
- Now come back to the service.msc window. Find the Windows Update and set that as ‘manual’
- After that, you should pull up the Control Panel and search for Windows Update.
- You have to open the Windows Update in order to change the settings. You should select the option ‘Check for update but let me choose whether to download and install them’. Click on the OK option and then close the window.
- Once you are done you should go ahead and restart the computer. After that, you won’t be able to see the Windows Modules installer message again.
Change Your Internet Setting
There is another way to stop Windows automatic updates. To do that you have to make some changes in the settings. Following are the method you need to follow:
- Click on the start option and then select the Settings option.
- After that, you will find Network and Internet which you need to select and then select the Wifi option. You will find the Advanced tab. You should click on that.
- A small window will pop up and you will get to an option like ‘Set as metered connection’. You should turn on that mode.
Now just go ahead and check if the problem is still there or not.
In case if you are using the ethernet network you have to follow the below steps:
- You have to press the Windows log key and the R key together at the same time. You will get to see a run box appear on the screen.
- Make the panel empty and type regedit. Hit the enter button through the keyboard.
- When User Account Control(UAC) up on your screen you need to click on Yes option.
- A Window will open up on your computer screen. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Select the Software option and then Windows NT.
- You will get to see the Current Version. Select that option.
- Then you need to select the Network list and then DefaultMediaCost.
- Right click on DefaultMediaCost and select the permission option.
- You have to click on the Add option. After that, you need to type your user name and then click OK option.
- Now you have to click on the user which you add and then select the checkbox to allow for the full control and finally hit on OK option.
- Double click on Ethernet and set its value data as 2 and then press OK button. After that close the Regedit window.
- You should restart your computer once and after that, the problem will be resolved.
So far we have explained Windows Modules Installer worker and how you can stop receiving Windows update automatically. Hope this article will help you to get rid of the problem. If you face any difficulty or you have any doubt in your mind you can post your comments.