Steam missing file privileges is one of those problems faced by the users which should not be ignored. And if overlooked, it can lead to further issues which may even stop your Steam application to gets open. Actually, you may see that the error pop-ups during the time when you are going to update/install games on Steam. Whatever be the case, you can proceed further to this article to learn the effective methods with the help of which you can resolve it.
What Causes Steam Missing File Privileges Error?
There are several factors identified by the Steam users causing the missing file privileges error and are as follows:
- igfxEm module issue: Intel Graphics Executable Main Module or igfxEm is an executive file. And if it faces an error may be due to malware or a Trojan, then this can result in Steam missing file privileges issue. And if this is the case, not worry, you can get the solution for this simply by following the further sections of this article.
- Servers overload problem: Sometimes due to the insufficient space in the default Steam region this kind of problem occurs. If this is the case, then you can get rid of it by continuing the “Change the download region” method as stated below.
- Game cache files and glitch with the Steam library folder are the other identified reasons which are causing the missing file privileges Steam error.
No matter whatever be the case, you will get to learn all the methods, by applying which you will be able to resolve the issue.
Methods to Solve Steam Missing File Privileges Windows 10
Here we have enlisted a number of methods with the help of which you can get the Steam missing file privileges to fix. So, check it out:
Method 1: Stop igfxEm to Solve Missing File Privileges on Steam
- At first, open the Task Manager window. And for this press both the Ctrl, Shift and the Esc key at the same time.
- Then, at the top of the Task Manager window, you will get a number of tabs, among which click on Process to continue.
- After that, under this Task Manager window, search for the “igfxEm Module” option, and click on it. Next, look at the bottom right-hand corner, you will see the “End task” button, click on it to stop.
- And then close the Task Manager window, by clicking on the red cross which is present at the top right-hand corner.
- Further, navigate to the Steam application, and right-click on it. Next, from the appearing menu window, select the “Run as administrator” option to continue.
- Now, using the Steam window restart the downloading/ upgrading process of the game of which you are getting the issue.
Hopefully, after following all these above steps you can confirm your game upgrading or the downloading process successfully. If still, you see that the error exists, then continue with the method as explained below.
Method 2: Alter the Download Region
Technically, the Steam client has a different choice of regions and it also has an ability to detect your present location. Moreover, at the time when some servers have the overload issue then this effects on steam service and result in such errors. If this the case, then left worrying about the error, instead try the steps as below:
- To begin with, first of all, launch the Steam application on your device.
- And then from the left top portion of the window, you will get the Steam tab, click on it and under which select the Settings option.
- After that, from the left-hand side panel under the Settings window click on Downloads.
- Next, from the right-hand side window go to the “Download Region” section and drop-down the list and alter it. And then click on OK, to confirm this setting.
- After that, retry to download/ update the game and check if the issue gets resolved.
Method 3: Repair Steam Library Folder
Any problem with the Steam library folder might be the reason for the Steam missing file privileges error. Problems can be the misconfigured or corrupted Steam library folder. And the steps to follow to fix this issue are as follows:
- Firstly, open the Steam application.
- After that, look at the top left-hand hand side corner, you will get a tab as Steam, click on it.
- Next, from the Steam menu list, select the Settings option to continue.
- Under the Settings window at the left-hand side panel, you will get an option as Downloads, click on it.
- Then, at the right-hand side window, you will get a section as Content Libraries, under which a box is present which contains the message as “STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS”, click on it. Next, make a right-click on the right-hand side window and select the “Repair Library Folder” option. Now, wait until the repairing process is done.
- Once the library folder repairing process is over. Hopefully, you can install/update the game of which you are facing the issue.
Method 4: Verify the Integrity of the Game Cache
This is one of the effective ways to fix the missing file privileges Steam error. So, try this one as well, if you are not getting the desired result after following the above ones:
- First of all, you need to open the Steam application.
- After that, from the upper tab options, click on “LIBRARY”.
- And then from the available list navigate to the game which gives the error. After that, right-click on it and select the Properties option.
- Next, under the Properties window, click on “LOCAL FILES” and then choose the “VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE” option.
After you have done this above-said step, now, wait to get the process completed. Once the task is over, hopefully, you can successfully perform the downloading/ updating the game task.
Method 5: Run Steam under the Administrator Privileges
In the meantime, check if the Steam has the administrator privileges. Because it is important to run a game downloading / updating task. So, follow the steps below, which will help you to get rid of the issue:
- Use the Windows and the letter R key at the same time, to get the Run bar window open.
- Then, on the Run bar type this below line exactly as it appears over here.
- And then, click on OK or hit the Enter button, to execute.
- After that, from the window which you are getting on the screen, search for the Steam folder and right-click on it.
- Next, from the available options, click on Properties.
- And then from the “Steam Properties” window click on the Security tab.
- Further, click on the “Advanced” button, which you will get at the below right-hand side corner.
- After that, verify that the top two rows of the “Advanced Security Settings for Steam” window is set as Full control. And if not, then click on the Edit button which is located third from the right-hand side and that is also at the below portion of the window. After confirming both the two rows as Full control Access, open the Steam as administrator.
Now, hopefully, you have solved the problem.
Here, all these mentioned are the effective methods with the help of which you can fix the Steam missing file privileges error. So after fixing it, hopefully, you will not get any further problem during the game download/ update process.