Skype is one of the most popular telecommunication application developed and marketed by Microsoft Corporation. It provides video calling services and voice calling service for its users. However, despite being a popular one it is not free from the occasional errors.
Looks like you are also a Skype user and have come across Skype can’t access sound card error. To resolve that matter, focus on this document and try to follow the guidelines of it carefully.
Reasons Why Skype Can’t Access Sound Card
If you have recently installed a fresh version of Windows on your system then you can face this kind of errors. In this case, some permission settings reset themselves, as a result, Skype fails to access the microphone and you encounter Skype can’t access sound card error.
Troubleshooting Methods For Skype Can’t Access Sound Card
Here are some troubleshooting hacks, follow them carefully.
Method 1: Update Sound Card Drivers
If you are using an outdated version of Sound card driver then you can face this type of errors. On that note, try to update sound card drivers to troubleshoot this issue. To perform so,
- Click On The start button. Type device manager and select it from the list, otherwise, press Windows + R key simultaneously to open the run box. Now, type devmgmt.msc in the dialogue box and click on “OK”.
- Find devices to update from one of the Sound, video and game controllers. after that, right click and hold it and select Update Driver from the context menu.
- You can see many device lists here. Make sure that, you have updated all of them. It will take some time.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software from the new window. If Windows doesn’t find a new driver then you can also download it from the developer’s website.
In Case Of Windows 10
- Search settings from the search bar located at the taskbar or click on the gear key after clicking the Start menu button.
- Open the “Update & security” section in the Settings app. Now click the Check for updates button to check whether there is a new version of Windows available.
- Windows will start updating automatically. After that, install it and check whether Skype is working correctly or not.
If the error persists then follow next method given below.
Method 2: Change Permission Setting
You can also overcome this issue by changing the permission settings.
- Go to the settings application by searching for it from the search panel and go to the privacy section.
- At the left side of the window, you should see the App permissions section. Find Microphone and click on this option.
- After that, switch the slider under the “Allow apps to access your microphone” option to On and scroll down in the list of installed apps on your computer to locate Skype. After that turn on the Skype entry.
Restart your Skype and check the error status. If it persists then follow the next method.
Method 3: Update Media Creation Tool
You can also try to update media creation tool to overcome this issue.
- At first, go to the developer’s website and download the latest version of Media Creation Tool. Wait for sometime and double-click on the downloaded file in your Downloads folder.
- Select the “Upgrade this PC now” option by enabling its radio button and click on the Next button to continue.
- Accept the license terms from the next window if you want to continue with the installation and wait again to communicate with Microsoft for updates.
- After that, your system will be ready to install the latest Media Creation. So click on the install option.
- Check the status of the error.
The error code will be resolved. If the error persists then try to run audio troubleshooter as an alternative method.
Method 4: Run Audio Troubleshooter
- You can also run the troubleshooter as an alternative option. To perform this action-
- Go to the Settings app.
- Find Updates & Security option and then choose Troubleshooting.
- Find Recording Audio and click it.
- Now, go to, Run the troubleshooter.
After this process, restart your Skype application and check the status of the error. If it still takes place then reinstall Skype.
Method 5: Reinstall Skype
You can also get rid of this error by reinstalling Skype. At first, uninstall the current version of Skype. To perform this,
- Go to the Control Panel and choose programs option.
- You can see a list of installed applications on that part. From that list find Skype application and uninstall it by right-clicking on it.
After that, remove the leftover files and registry entries of this application. To do that,
- Open the Run dialogue box and type %appdata% on that box. And click OK in order to open this location.
- Now, find a folder called “Skype”, right-click on it, and choose the Delete option from the context menu.
Now delete all registry files of it. Read the instructions to complete this action.
- Go to the Run dialogue box and type regedit.
- Use the Ctrl + F key combination or click on Edit at the menu available at the top of the window and click on Find.
- Type “Skype” under the Find what bar and click on find next. Right-click on ‘each found key’ and choose Delete from the context menu. Type “Skype” under the Find what bar and click on find next. Right-click on ‘each found key’ and choose Delete from the context menu.
After performing the steps, install a fresh version of Skype from the developer’s website.
The bug will be resolved after performing the methods mentioned in this article.