When you connect a printer to a computer or device, you might encounter printer communication error. It occurs when the device or computer is unable to detect the printer. It generally happens due to network connectivity issues, especially, in the case of wireless printers. If your printer is not within the range of the wireless network, then the network connection fails. On the other hand, you can face this error while connecting the printer to the computer through a router as well. So, let us discuss the various ways of fixing this issue.
Methods To Fix Printer Communication Error
Have a look at the simple solutions we have listed below.
Update The Printer Driver
- If you are using a wired printer, then change the network cable.
- Then, turn off the printer and the computer. Unplug the network cable from the computer and reconnect it after some time.
- Make sure that both the printer and the router is connected to the network.
- Open Device Manager, expand ‘Network Adapters’ and select the device.
- Right-click on it and select ‘Update Driver.’
- Now, click on ‘Search automatically for the updated driver software’ option.
- Windows starts searching for an updated driver and if it finds a compatible driver, then install it on your PC.
Check The Wireless Connection
- Search for ‘Printer scan settings’ using the Search box and select it from the drop down list.
- Now, click on ‘Network Scanner Address’ on the ‘Scan Settings’ window and tap the ‘Add’ button.
- Then, recheck the name of the scanner and click on ‘OK.’
- Navigate to the Command Prompt to fetch the correct proxy server address. Then, enter the address in the specified field and click on ‘OK.’
- Type ‘cmd’ in the search box and press ‘Enter’ to run the Command Prompt.
- Type ‘ipconfig’ command in the Command Prompt and hit ‘Enter’ again.
- You will get a code for the default gateway. Copy that code to the Command Prompt to access your router.
- After logging into your router, find the devices attached to the network.
- If you are able to see the IP Address of the scanner, then enter it in the browser and know the scanner properties.
- If Windows does not show the IP Address, then select the scanner application, enter the scanner’s address and click on ‘Apply.’
Restart Shell Hardware Detection
It is such a Windows service to enable the computer to detect whenever a removable device is connected to it. If this service is not working properly, then the communication error can occur. Hence, analyze this service by the following steps.
- Press Windows icon and ‘R’ simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
- Now, enter ‘services.msc’ in the Run box to get the list of services.
- Locate ‘Shell Hardware Detection,’ right-click on it and choose ‘Properties.’
- Select ‘Automatic’ for the startup type and close the window.
- Then, right-click on ‘Shell Detection Service’ again and select ‘Restart.’
- Remove the scanner from the computer and plug it back again after a couple of minutes.
Update Printer’s Firmware
- Open Control Panel and select ‘Devices and Printers.’
- Now, select your router and click on ‘Settings.’
- Locate the ‘Firmware,’ right-click on it and select ‘Check for updates’ option.
- If you find any available updates, then click on ‘Install updates’ button to update the Router Firmware.
- Restart both the printer and the router, and then connect the printer to the computer.
- If your computer can recognize the printer, then you won’t get the communication error.
Hope, this article has helped you to fix printer communication error without many hassles.