Printer attention required is a general issue of printing devices that can appear if some of the settings on the device get corrupted. The full message reads as:
“Printer requires your attention. Go to desktop to take care of it”.
There can be various reasons for the occurrence of this issue. If the ‘Protected Mode’ on the ‘Internet Explorer’ is active, then there is a possibility to encounter this issue.
Also, if the driver of the printer is not up to date, then this error can occur. Further, if the Windows Operating System is outdated, even then you can face this problem. Moreover, if the Printer Spooler service starts to malfunction, then you can face this problem, etc.
Go through this article fully to get elaborate and effective solutions, that will allow you to fix this problem in no time.
Solutions to Fix the “Printer Attention Required” Problem
This is the section of this article that will provide you with fixes to solve the attention required problem on the printer.
Fix 1: Deactivate the Protected Mode Within the Internet Explorer
If the feature ‘Protected Mode’ within the ‘Internet Explorer’ is active, then due to a malfunction of this feature you can face this glitch. The best way to resolve this problem is to deactivate the ‘Protected Mode’.
Here are the steps you can follow.
- First, locate and then tap on the ‘Internet Explorer’ icon. This will open a new window with the same name.
- Now, on the menu bar within the web browser, click on the ‘Tools’ menu. A drop-down list will pop up with various options. Out of those options, choose the one that says ‘Internet Options’.
- As soon as you do that, a new window with the name ‘Internet Options’ will come up. Next, within that window, locate and then tap on the ‘Security’ tab.
- Under that tab, go to the section ‘Security level for this zone’. After that, inside the section, move to the bottom and uncheck the ‘Enable Protected Mode (requires restarting Internet Explorer)’.
- Now, tap on the following buttons: “Apply” and “OK”.
- Then quit from the Internet Explorer’ and restart it as the administrator.
- Finally, visit some website, and then try to print that page and see if this error comes up or not.
Fix 2: Start the Print Spooler Service Once Again
If the service, known as ‘Print Spooler’ is not working properly, then there is a possibility for you to encounter the printer attention required problem. Now, the only way to fix this issue is to restart the ‘Print Spooler’ service once again.
For that to happen, follow the steps that are presented below.
- First, press the combination of keys ‘Windows + R’ simultaneously. This will launch a new dialog box on the bottom left corner of the screen, with a name ‘Run’.
- Next, within that dialog box beside the label ‘Open:’ write the text “services.msc” and then tap the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, a new window that has the name ‘Services’ will come up. In this window, there will be a list full of all the services for every application installed within the computer.
- Now, from that list, locate and choose the ‘Print Spooler’ service and then right-click on it. After that, from the pop-up menu that appears, choose the ‘Restart’ option.
- Wait for the service to startup once again and then check if this problem is present there or not.
Fix 3: Setup the Printer in a Correct Way
Sometimes, if the printer is not configured correctly, then you can face this issue. Now, the one answer to rectify this glitch is to properly set up the printer. Almost all the printer devices usually come along with a user guide’ or installation manual.
Now, in order to properly use the printer, unplug all the cables and remove the ink cartridges and other components of the device.
Then, read the instruction manual fully to set up the printer by following all the information carefully, present in it. When the proper installation is over, try to print a document and see if this error comes up or not.
Fix 4: Inspect the Ink Level Present within Cartridges
If the level of ink within the cartridges are low or empty, then you can face this issue. The one and only solution to resolve this problem is to replace the ink cartridges. In order to do that, follow the steps underneath.
- First, tap on both the keys ‘Windows + R’ together. This will open up a dialog box that has a name ‘Run’. Now, within that dialog box, type in the text – “control panel” beside the ‘Open:’ label on the empty area. Then, hit the ‘OK’ button.
- As soon as you do that, a new window that has a name ‘Control Panel’ will come up. Inside that window, there will be all the settings categories of the computer that you can adjust at your will.
- Now, from that window, out of all the categories of settings, select the one that says “Hardware and Sound”. A new page with the name ‘Hardware and Sound’ will show up, in it, locate and then select the ‘Devices and Printers’ option.
- Now, another page will appear having the name ‘Devices and Printers’. Within this page, go to the ‘Printers and Faxes’ section and then choose the problematic printer.
- After that, right-click on the chosen printer and then from the popup menu that appears, select the ‘Printer properties’ option.
- This action will open a new window specific to the printer. In this window, follow the tabs accordingly to check the ink cartridge levels and replace them if necessary.
- Lastly, print a document and then see if this issue reappears or not.
Fix 5: Printer Driver Update
If the driver of the printer is not up to date, then there is a possibility for you get this error. Now, the best answer to get rid of this problem is to perform an update process of the printer driver. In order to do that, follow the steps provided beneath.
- First, press the combination of keys ‘Windows + X’ together to open the ‘Options Menu’. Inside that menu, locate and then choose the ‘Device Manager’ option.
- Now, a new window with the name ‘Device Manager’ will pop up. In this window, there will be a list full of various devices installed within the computer and their respective drivers.
- From that list, locate and then choose the ‘Printers’ device category. Then, double-click on the selected device, to reveal the sublist of drivers.
- After that, from the sublist, tap on the driver specific to the printer and right-click on it. Next, from the popup menu that comes up, choose the ‘Update driver’ option.
- A new window with two specific links will come up. Among those two links, select the one that says ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’.
- As soon as you do that, the Windows OS will automatically start to search for any updates for the driver. If there is an update available for the driver, then those will automatically be downloaded and then installed.
- The installation process of the driver may take some time to complete, so wait patiently.
- Once the installation gets over, next reboot the computer.
- At last, attempt to print a document and then see if this issue reappears or not.
Fix 6: Install the Current Updates for Windows 10
When the updates for the Windows 10 OS is not done properly, then you might encounter this problem. The best possible way to remove this issue is to install all the latest updates for the Windows Operating System. Follow the steps provided below to do that.
- First, tap on both the ‘Windows + I’ keys simultaneously. This will launch a new window known as ‘Windows Settings’.
- Next, inside that window, locate and then select the ‘Update & Security’ option. A new page will come up, in it, go the left pane and choose the ‘Windows Update’option.
- After that, move to the right pane of the ‘Windows Update’ page and then find and select the ‘Check for updates’ button. This action will look for any updates available of the OS and present them on a list.
- Next, after that list, there will be a ‘Reboot now’ button. Once you click on this button, the computer will begin the startup process.
- During the booting phase of Windows, the installation process of all the updates will start.
- Finally, once the installation procedure gets over, check if this glitch shows up or not.
Fix 7: Run the Printer Troubleshooter
If not a single method above can resolve this problem, then the final solution that you can try is to execute the troubleshooter for the printer.
- First, to open the ‘Windows Settings’ go to ‘Fix 6’ and then follow the first step.
- After that, within this window, locate and then select the ‘Update & Security’ option. Now, a new page will come up, in it, go to the left panel and then choose the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- Within the ‘Troubleshoot’ page, locate the ‘Printer’ option and then click on ‘Run the troubleshooter’.
- At last, follow the on-screen instructions and automatically rectify any problems with the printer.
In order to fix “the printer requires your attention” error message, follow the methods presented above carefully and minutely. However, if even after following every fix given here, you are still unable to mitigate this issue, then worry not.
Provide the details of the problem that you are encountering in the comment section below and get all your queries answered by a professional.