Norton is one of the most prescribed security software or antivirus products that have been made available to the office as well as the home users on different platforms like Mac, Android, Windows, and also iOS. However, in most cases, the security program fails to perform certain actions while updating, installing or performing real-time scan due to poor internet connection or any other reasons. The good news is, all these errors can be fixed easily by following a few simple procedures. One of the most annoying errors that most users face is Norton error 8504. If you too are encountering this 8504 error on Norton, then don’t worry. Here, we have come up with some easy methods for resolving the Norton error code 8504.
Significant Indications of Norton Error 8504
There are some certain situations that you might face when Norton error 8504 occurs. To know them, take a deep look right below:
- When you encounter Norton Error code 8504, it crashes the active program window.
- Respond slowly to external device e.g., keyboard and mouse.
- Computer freezes periodically of a few seconds or moments.
Norton error 8504 might appear during program installation. However, some users claim that during the installation of the Windows Operating System or during Windows startup or shut down, Norton auto fix error arises.
Why Norton Error 8504 Occurs?
When Norton error 8504 appear on the device, an error message box is displayed on the screen that shows: “Error Code 8504: Unable to install the Norton 360” or “Error Code 8504: Installation incomplete.” There are various instances for which Norton error 8504 appears. However, we have enlisted the most probable reasons in the section below.
- Corrupted Norton Setup: Corrupted download of the Norton Setup is the foremost causes behind this Norton error 8504.
- Third-party Security Program: The device has been installed with some other security product. Thus, they conflict with each other and as a result, such kind of Norton error occurs.
- Incomplete Installation of Norton Software: The installation of the Norton Setup fails when it has been upgraded to the latest version.
- Malware or Virus Infection: The system might be infected with the malware or virus and result in, Norton error 8504 occurs.
These are the most basic reasons for which Norton error 8504 arises. However, whatever be the cause, resolving such kind of error is always challenging. So, it is suggested without wasting any more time, navigate to the next section, where you will get all the possible fixes for resolving the Norton error 8504.
How to Eliminate Norton Autofix Error 8504?
Some common solutions of the Norton Error Code 8504 have been detailed below. By following these methods, you can easily resolve such kind of Norton error code. But, before initializing the resolving procedure, you require to login to your Norton Account in order to check whether the Norton Setup subscription is valid or not. If the subscription is under the validity period, then proceed with the resolving methods detailed below, else first update it.
Solution 1: Perform a Complete Anti-Malware Scan
This kind of issue especially occurs due to malware or spyware attack. So, you need to perform a complete anti-malware scan on your device. In that case, you can use your preferred anti-virus software to do this action. Thus, it completely depends on your choice. But, if you don’t have any third-party security program, then you can download your preferred anti-virus software.
Solution 2: Remove Other Security Program/Free Antivirus Tools
As we already mentioned in the pre-requisites, other third-party security programs might conflict with the Norton security software and as a result, such kind of error occurs. If this is the case, then you should remove other security programs or free antivirus tools.
To perform this task, you need to press and hold Windows + R keys altogether. This action will invoke the Run dialog box. Now, in the Run dialog box, type “appwiz.cpl” and press the Enter button. Here, you can see all the applications installed on your device. Choose the Security program/Free Antivirus tool you want to remove. Now, click on the Remove/Uninstall button. Now, follow the on-screen directions on your PC’s display screen in order to uninstall the specific security program. Once the uninstallation process is over, restart your PC.
Solution 3: Update the Device Drivers
Sometimes, your device drivers become corrupted due to some malware or virus infection and it can show you Norton error 8504. So, updating the device drivers quite important step in order to overcome this critical situation when you get stuck into the Norton error code 8504. To do so, learn the proper steps and apply them accordingly:
- At first, go to Start.
- Then, locate and select the Device Manager.
- Next, you have to expand the category with the hardware you require to update.
- Now, tap on the device and select the Update Driver option.
- After that, choose the Search Automatically For Updated Driver software button.
- Now, Windows search for the available updates.
- If updates are available, then hit the Install Update button.
- Once it is done, reboot your device and check whether the issue has been fixed or not.
Solution 4: Perform the System File Checker
After updating the device drivers, if the issue still remains, then you might need to run the System File Checker tool which is a quite reliable way to resolve such kind of error. Basically, System File Checker is designed to detect and fix this kind of Windows error. To do this action, you need to follow the steps right below:
First of all, press the Windows +X function keys simultaneously in order to launch the Menu list. Now, choose the Comand Prompt(Admin). After that, navigate to the Search box and write “cmd” and hit the Enter button. Here, right-click on the top result to open it. Once it is done, select the Run as Administrator button. Then, go the Command Prompt window and then, type “sfc/scannow.” Next, press the Enter key. When the process completes, restart your system and see if the issue is resolved or not.
Solution 5: Run DISM Tool
If System File Checker fails to resolve the Norton error 8504, then the DISM tool might be the answer. So, you can try out this tool. This is another Windows in-built tool. By using this tool, you can resolve such Norton related issues.
- First of all, press the Windows Home key + S function key at the same time.
- This action will bring the search box.
- Now, in the search box, type “cmd”
- Then, hit the Enter button.
- Next, choose the Run As Administrator option.
- After that, navigate to the Comand Prompt window and enter “DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth to perform this command.
- Now press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Once the process is over, simply restart your device. And then, check whether the issue is resolved or not.
Solution 6: Restore the Windows Device
Windows Restore is a special feature that comes with the Windows and allows going back to the system state when everything was going fine. Thus, you can go back to the error-free point using this Windows Restore feature.
- First, navigate to the Run dialog box.
- Then, in the Run dialog box, type “Recovery” and press the Enter key.
- Now, go to the Update & Recovery section that is in the Settings window.
- When the Update And Recovery window opens, click on the Restore Point button and then, your device will begin to restore process.
- Once the process is complete, restart your device and check if the problem is fixed.
Solution 7: Upgrade the Windows Operating System
If the previous method is not able to bring the expected result for you, then you might need to upgrade your Windows Operating System. Most of the time, users receive such kind of error messages when they use an outdated version of Windows in their device. So, the users should always install the latest updates on their device. Also, the latest version of Windows OS comes up with several new features and fixes. So, it is quite necessary to update your Windows OS on a regular basis to avoid such kind of error codes. To do so, follow the below instructions below:
First, you need to press the Windows Home key + I function key simultaneously in order to initiate the Search box. When the Search box opens, type “Settings.” Now, select it from the result list. Next, choose the Update & Security option and then, press the Check For Updates button. Now, your Windows device begins to search for the available updates. If updates are available then it will automatically download them in the background. Once the process is done, restart your device. Hopefully, this solution helps you to get rid of the Norton error code. But, if you still deal with the same error then move on to the next solution.
Solution 8: Reinstall Norton Internet Security Software
If none of the methods works, then you can try reinstalling the Norton Internet Security. You can perform this by following the steps below:
- To begin the process, you need to open the Programs & Features by pressing the Start button.
- After that, navigate to the Control Panel.
- Then, click on the Add Or Remove Programs option.
- Now, find the Norton InterSecurity software. You will find this under the list of the Currently Installed Programs
- Next, click on the Uninstall/Remove button that is present on the right side.
- Now, wait until the process is over.
- Once it is over, simply reboot your device and follow the on-screen prompts in order to reinstall the Norton Internet Security program once again.
Here, in this section of the article, we have enlisted some of the basic points that you should always keep in your mind. These points will help you to avoid such kind of errors in the future.
- Keep upgrading your Windows Operating System
- Perform an anti-malware scan on your system on a regular basis.
- Keep installing the latest device drivers for your PC.
The Bottom Line:
When we wrap up the short discussion, we hope that you have been proactive on the receiving end and have a thorough grasp over the solutions, which would come handy. On this note, let’s conclude and see you in our next post. If you require instant help, then you can go for expert assistance.