Many of the HP printer users very often face many kinds of annoying problems at the time of working on the HP Printers. And the HP printer won’t scan Windows 10 is one of those common issues that you can also face at the time of using an all-in-one HP printer. If you are also facing such a problem when your stops to work in Windows 10, then you don’t need to worry. We are here with some amazing hacks that will definitely help you to get rid of this situation.
How to Resolve the Error HP Printer won’t scan Windows 10?
Perform these following processes and see which ultimately helps you out if your Hp printer won’t scan Windows 10 with ease:
Method 1: Check the Platform Compatibility
If you are facing this problem exactly after upgrading to Windows 10, then you need to check the platform compatibility. And to know the fact if the platform is compatible with Windows 10, you have to go to the HP Printers- Windows 10 Compatible Printers page using your Web Browser. And there, on that page, you will find an HP model series. To check if your printer model is there or not you have to expand it. If you find that the printer isn’t compatible with Windows 10, then you a compatible platform to complete the task of scanning on Windows 10. If it is compatible with Windows 10, then go to the next method and try to fix the issue.
Method 2. Reset the Printer
Many times we have witnessed that turning the printer off and back on can fix scanning and printing issues like magic. It is also called as that is able to reinitialize a scanner’s configuration parameters. That is why we will recommend you to Turn off the printer and then unplug the cable. And now you have to wait for a while, at least about 10 to 20 minutes and then, plug the printer again and turn the printer on.
Method 3. Reinstall the HP Printer Software
To fix the HP printer scanning issue on Windows 10 you can reinstall the HP printer software. And trust us it is one of the best solutions to this problem. In this way, you will be able to be sure that for your model you have the latest HP drivers. And to reinstall the HP Printer Software on your device follow the upcoming steps one by one correctly.
First Part of the Steps:
- First of all, you have to invoke the run dialog box and to do so press the Windows key + “R” simultaneously. Or you can even Right-click the Start button and then select Run.
- And then, in the open text box, you have to enter the command ‘appwiz.cpl’ excluding the inverted commas and then you should select the OK option.
- After that, on the Programs and Features Control Panel applet, you will find HP printer software in a list. You have to select it.
- And then, you have to choose the Uninstall option.
- Now, to provide further confirmation you should click the option Yes.
- Once you are done with the uninstallation process of the HP printer software, you have to restart Windows 10.
Second Part of the Steps:
- After doing so from Printers & Scanners list that you will find in Settings you have to remove the printer. And for that, you have to open Cortana. You can do that by pressing the Windows key + Q simultaneously.
- Here, in the search box, you have to type in ‘printers” and click Printers & scanners. After doing so, a window will appear before you.
- There, after choosing the printer, you have to click its Remove device button. And don’t forget to make sure that your printer should be on at the time of choosing that option.
- And now you have to follow the on-screen instructions to remove the printer.
- After that, you have to navigate the HP support page in a browser.
- After that, you have to open a search box by clicking Printer. And there, in the search box, enter the required model. After doing so hit the Submit button.
- And then you will find a software and driver page for the printer you have entered the name. Next, you should hit the option Change on that page. And then, select a 64 or 32-bit Windows 10 version that you will find in the drop-down menu, and then without any hesitation press the button named Change.
- And now, to download the full feature driver and software package that is perfect for your printer by clicking the option Download.
- After that, to install the downloaded driver and software package, first of all, open the folder it has downloaded to and then clicks the driver and software package.
Now, check if the problem has resolved or it is still there. If it has resolved, then it’s okay but if not, then go to the next method.
Method 4: Open the HP Print and Scan Troubleshooter
HP has its own Print and Scan Doctor software that is able to resolve all the printing and scanning issues of its printer models. And that is why you can easily fix the issue by opening the HP Print and Scan Troubleshooter. Now, follow the next instructions and easily resolve the problem with the help of the HP Print and Scan troubleshooter:
- First of all, you have to ensure that the printer is on and it is properly connected with your computer device.
- Now, to download the troubleshooter, on the HP customer support page, you have to click HP Print and Scan Doctor.
- And from there, to open the software’s window, you may click on HPPSdr.exe.
- After that, hit the option Start and choose the printer on that you are facing scanning problem.
- And there, from the list select the Fix Scanning option to continue the process.
- After that, that, the troubleshooter will inform you if there was an error that it has fixed already. If you see the X icons, then you have to follow the onscreen instructions that you will be provided by the troubleshooter.
Method 5: Check that the Windows Image Acquisition Service is Enabled
When all the above methods are refusing to work for you then you should try to resolve the error b7y enabling the Windows Image Acquisition Service. The scanning is one of the most essential scanning services that helps a lot in fixing such an error.
- First of all, you have to invoke the run box by pressing the Windows + R simultaneously and there in the run dialog box you may enter the command ‘services.msc’ and then click OK.
- And now you have to double-click Windows Image Acquisition. And in this way, the window in the shot directly below will open.
- Here, if you see that the WIA is disabled, choose Automatic on the Startup type drop-down menu.
- And then, hit the Start button and after that, choose the option Apply.
- Now, to close the window click OK.
- And along with that, check some other essential Windows services for scanning DCOM, Shell Hardware Detection, RPC Endpoint Mapper, and Remote Procedure if they are also enabled.
Method 6: Turn Off the Windows Defender Firewall
Now perform these steps and see whether it can work for you to resolve the issue. As the Windows Defender Firewall can also be the reason behind the error hp printer won’t scan windows 10 you need to turn off it to fix the error. And you can turn it off with the help of the following steps. Now, perform them one by one accurately:
- First of all, to start the process you have to open the Cortana app in your device.
- After that, in the search box enter ‘firewall’.
- Now, to open the Control Panel applet, you need to choose the Windows Defender Firewall.
- After that, on the left of the Control Panel applet, you have to click the option Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Then you can choose the option Turn off Windows Defender Firewall.
- It is worth mentioning here that as the HP Print and Scan Doctor also includes firewall settings you need to disable them. And you can do so, by going to Troubleshooting Firewalls on HP Print and Scan Doctor’s window after clicking on Network. And there to disable the option you have to hit the Disable button.
- Once you are done press the OK button.
Here, we should add that, as third-party antivirus software can also include firewalls you should disable them at least temporarily if there is any in your device. You can find the turn-off or disable button on the system tray context menus of your third-party antivirus. So, to select its turn off or disable settings you need to right-click the utility’s system tray icon.
Method 7: Reset the HP Printer & Scanner to Factory Default Settings
If you can reset the HP Printer & Scanner to Factory Default Settings then there is a possibility to be successful in resolving the issue. Though the process of selecting that option is different in different printers, generally, you can do that by choosing a Reset Factory Defaults option. And you will find it under the Setup or Tools menus on the Control Panel of the printer. You can also check the printer’s manual for details if you want to know the process of resetting it to its factory default.
Method 8: Run a System File Checker Scan
There can be another cause behind the scanning errors. And it is Corrupted system files. You can resolve the error by running a System file checker scan to check for and then you can also repair the corrupted files along with the integrity violations. And to run a System File Checker scan in Windows 10 you have to follow the instructions stated below.
- First of all, you have to launch the command prompt as administrator.
- There, in the command prompt, you have to enter the command ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ to start the process. But, before initiating an SFC scan you have to press Return.
- After that, in the command prompt enter the command ‘sfc /scannow’ and hit the Enter key.
After half an hour when the SFC scan will be completed, if the scan reports that Windows Resource Protection fixed something, then you need to reboot your computer device and see the problem vanishing.
Hope that the article will help you to fix your frustrating situation regarding HP printer scanning issue. You can comment on our article and share your views with us. And for much more articles like this one, stay connected to us.