You can get the error code 0xc00000e9 in either Windows 10 or 8 operating systems due to various types of reasons. Some of the causes are that, if there is any malfunction in the hardware devices, then there is a possibility for you to encounter this problem. When the hard drive has any corrupt data or if there is an internal glitch in it, then also you can face this problem. If any files or application present within the system gets corrupt due to some error internally, then this problem can crop up. If the MBR of the OS is not correctly set, then for that you can even meet with this issue. In the next section, you will get solutions for this error.
Solutions to Rectify Error Code 0xc00000e9
This section will provide you with various steps that can help you to correct this error in a simple way.
Repair MBR (Manual Boot Record) via Command Prompt
This point will allow you to correct the MBR using the command prompt. In order to do that, follow the steps beneath.
- First, boot the computer using either the installation CD or flash drive. When the ‘Welcome’ window appears, then at the bottom left side of that window choose the link ‘Repair your computer’.
- After that, you will see a screen with a blue background, which has a heading ‘Choose an option’. Now, out of different option that is present on this window, select the ‘Troubleshoot’ option.
- Then, from the next window, choose the ‘Advanced Options’. On the next window that comes up, choose the option ‘Command Prompt’.
- Once the ‘Command Prompt window shows up, then type the following commands and after each of them press ‘Enter’ key to execute: “bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd”, “bootrec.exe /fixmbr”, “bootrec.exe /fixboot”.
- Give some time to run all the above commands. Once the execution is complete, restart the computer and then, after the bootup process inspect whether you are still getting this error or not.
Use the Advanced Startup Feature to Repair the Computer
You can utilize a feature called ‘Advanced Startup’ on Windows 10, to repair the computer. To use this feature, follow the steps underneath.
- First, tap on the ‘Cortana logo’ just beside the Windows logo the taskbar to open the search area. Within that area, type “command prompt” and then press ‘Enter’ key. Now, from the result of the search, tap on the option ‘Command Prompt’. This will launch the new window that has the same name as the previous option.
- In this window, type the command “shutdown /r /o /f /t 00” and then, tap on the ‘Enter’ key to run it.
- After the above command executes, then the computer will boot up with the ‘Advanced Startup’ screen in front of you.
- On this screen, locate and then, choose the option ‘Automatic Repair’. After that, follow the information on the screen to initiate the repair process.
- At last, when this repair procedure gets over then, simply reboot the machine and check if this error comes back or not.
Examine all the Peripheral Devices
This point provides solutions on how can you inspect all the peripheral devices that are connected to your computer.
- First, shut down the computer normally.
- Once the computer is Off, then take a look at all the USB devices that are connected with the computer. If possible unplug every USB or any external devices and power On the computer.
- Now, examine whether you still get this error code or not. If you do not encounter this problem then, one by one insert each external device and see if you face this problem or not.
- If for some device you meet with this problem then, alter the USB cable and update the driver of that specific device. Repeat the last line for all the devices with which you are getting this problem.
- At last reboot the computer.
Execute Check Disk Feature via Command Prompt
When the hard drive is corrupted, then you can repair it using the Command Prompt by using the ‘CHKDSK’ feature present on the Windows OS. Follow the steps below to know the process of how to initiate this feature.
- First, tap on the combination of both ‘Windows and X’ keys to launch the Menu options section.
- Now, from that menu, choose the option ‘Search’. This will open the search area, where you type “command prompt” and then Enter button. Next, from the search output, locate the option ‘command prompt’ and right-click on it. After that, from the popup options list, select the ‘Run as administrator’ option.
- When the Command Prompt window opens, type the following command and press ‘Enter’ to execute. – “chkdsk E: /f /r /x”. Put the drive letter of the disk instead of ‘E’.
- Allow the command to check the disk for any error. If it finds any additionally problems, then it will be solved automatically.
- Once the execution of the command is complete, reboot the computer.
Use the SFC Tool to Correct the Corrupt System Files
You can also confront this error code 0xc00000e9 if there are any corrupt system files within the computer. In order to fix this problem, you need to use the SFC tool that comes with the Windows OS by default. Below there are steps on how you can use this tool.
- Follow the first two steps on the previous points to launch the Command Prompt window.
- Once this window opens up, then type the following command “sfc /scannow” and tap on the button ‘Enter’ to execute it.
- When this command executes, then the system will look for any corrupt files automatically and if it finds any, then that will be repaired.
- Once the repair process is complete, close the Command Prompt window and reboot the machine.
When you get the error code 0xc00000e9 in the Windows 10 computer then, follow the points carefully in order to rectify it. But, even after following those points if you are unable to correct this problem and repeatedly getting “this item was encoded in a format that’s not supported 0xc00d5212”, then do not worry. You can refer to other tech-related articles from our website. Further, if you need an answer on how to fix video codec not supported, then share your experience in the comment box.