Windows Defender is an onboard defender for Windows users. When you upgrade to Windows 10 from a previous version, Windows Defender generally replaces Microsoft Security Essentials. But, Windows Defender fails to do so in 10% of the cases when the upgrade goes wrong. As a result, Windows Defender fails to start and becomes unable to offer protection to your PC. Though Microsoft Security Essentials are always active, its Spyware, Unwanted Software, and Virus Protection are turned off. Therefore, when users try to turn on this disabled protection a dialog box pops up displaying error code 0x80070426. This error usually refers to a nongenuine copy of Windows. Error code 0x80070426 Windows 10 states that Microsoft Security Essentials are not working correctly and your PC is vulnerable to external threats.
Common Symptoms Of Error Code 0x80070426
- When this error pops up, you will get a message that an error has occured during program initialization. You are also prompted to contact with your system Admin if the error continues.
- You might get this error even if you are not trying to enable the Spyware, Unwanted Software, and Virus Protection. The error can appear while you are running any programs on your PC.
- In some cases, the Operating System freezes or the computer locks up, runs sluggishly or crashes repeatedly.
Causes Of Error Code 0x80070426
Error code 0x80070426 Windows 10 generally occurs when you want to upgrade your PC to Windows 10 version. This error might arise if your PC is running an older version of security software. Moreover, you can install an updated version of security software without uninstalling the older one. As a result, the software is unable to offer protection to your PC and you receive this error. Sometimes error code 0x80070426 happens when Windows tries to sync Mail App with your email ID.
Solutions To Resolve Error Code 0x80070426
We have brought some effective ways of getting away with this error in no time.
METHOD 1: Security Service
You can face this error if you have unknowingly disabled the software licensing service on your PC. Similarly, the service hasn’t started after you have upgraded your PC to Windows 10. Hence, restarting the security service can fix this issue. To do so follow the given below:
- Remove DVDs, CDs or other hardware and restart your PC.
- Hold down the F8 key until the Windows logo appears on the computer’s screen.
- If your Pc has more than one Operating System, use the mouse cursor to highlight ‘Safe mode with command prompt.’link.
- Then enter ‘services.msc’ into the Command Prompt to get the list of services running on your PC.
- Locate ‘Software Licensing,’ right-click on it and select ‘Properties.’
- Change the value of ‘Startup type’ to ‘Automatic’ and hit the ‘OK’ button.
- Restart your PC and ensure that you are no longer getting the same error.
METHOD 2: Store Repair
- Press Windows key and X together to launch the Command Prompt.
- After that, type ‘WSReset.exe’ in the command line and press ‘Enter.’
- If the PC fails to restart automatically, restart it by yourself and fix the issue.
Method 3: Sync Settings Change
If you are encountering the error due to incorrect sync settings in the Mial App, then this method is going to fix it.
- Go to the Start menu search for the Mail App in the search box.
- Click on ‘Settings’ and tap ‘Accounts’ to get the various accounts installed on your PC.
- Select your email account and log into it.
- Then click on the ‘Cahnge mailbox sync settings’ link and choose the ‘Email’ option.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect and fix the problem.
Method 4 – Uninstallation Of Microsoft Essentials
You should not keep any file that has an association with Microsoft Security Essentials. Otherwise, you won’t be able to remove this error. Hence you can easily uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials to restore the normal working of Windows Defender. Go by the steps given below to uninstall the service of Microsoft Essentials.
- Hold Windows logo key and press ‘R’ to open the Run dialogue box.
- Type ‘taskmgr’ in the Run dialogue box and press ‘Enter.’
- Navigate to Windows Defender Sevice, right-click on it and select ‘Stop’ to disable this service. Otherwise, you cannot proceed with the uninstallation of Microsoft Security Essentials.
- Open Control Panel from the Start menu or the search application.
- Go to ‘programs and Features’ and select ‘Unisntall a Program.’
- Select ‘Microsoft Security Essentials’ and tap the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Finally, restart your PC and check that you have fixed the issue successfully.
Alternatively, you can open the Run command and enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in it. Then, locate ‘Microsoft Security Essential’ that might be denoted as ‘Windows Essential’ as well. Right-click on this service and select the ‘Uninstall’ option. It uninstalls the service immediately and restarts your PC. Now make sure that Windows Defender is running and providing real-time protection to your PC. To check this, go to ‘Settings,’ tap ‘Update and Security,’ and select ‘Windows Defender’ to check that it is working correctly.
Method 5: Run SFC Command And DISM Utility
This method will fix the problem if it is occuring due to missing or corrupted files in your PC. Those who are facing error code 0x80070426 in their Mail App can try out this solution. Follow the steps given below to use these inbuilt features of Windows.
- Open the Task Manager and select ‘Run a new task’ under the ‘File’ tab.
- Type ‘PowerShell’ in the Run application and hit ‘Enter’ to create the new task with administrative privileges.
- Now, enter ‘sfc/scannow’ in the ‘PowerShell’ window to launch the System File Checker.
- The System File Checker starts scanning the Windows for Operating System errors.
- If the tool finds corrupted or missing files, it fixes it automatically.
- If it fails to eliminate the error, ‘DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth’ in the PowerShell window.
- The DISM tool begins to scan your PC for errors and fix them instantly.
- Once the process is completed, restart your PC and ensure that the Error Code 0x80070426 Windows 10 isn’t repeating itself.
Hope, you will be able to remove error code 0x80070426 permanently from your PC with these solutions.