Discord is a VoIP application which is used to perform the chatting process worldwide. But due to some glitches present in the application, you can encounter several troubles with it. Discord won’t open is one of those common errors which you can encounter with this application. When this frustrating error occurs, then you can notice that, after clicking on the executable file, nothing will happen. In some cases, you can also notice that nothing will appear on the screen. Well, if you have already faced this error and want to resolve it, then, you are on the right page. This article consists of a comprehensive method, which will help you out. But before moving to the solutions, first, let’s focus on the causes for this error.
Causes for Discord won’t Open Error
Due to more than one reasons, you can encounter this error on your device. For instance:
- You can encounter this error on your device due to cookies or due to some corrupted session.
- You can also get this error due to some corrupted contents.
After knowing the causes, now, let’s focus on the solutions to resolve this issue.
Fixes for Discord Not Starting Error
Here is a step by step guide using which, you will be able to resolve this matter without any hassle.
Method 1: Kill Task from Task Manager
One of the most common situations for getting the error is because it has not started. It can happen that, the application starts running in the background. So, you have to locate the application and stop it or restart it. Here are some steps using which, you will be able to resolve this matter.
- At first, you have to tap and hold the CTRL, SHIFT, and Esc (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC). It will open the task manager
- Now, you have to tap on the Process tab.
- Again, you have to scroll down through the list as well as locate the discord.exe.
- Once done, you have to choose the discord.exe and tap on the End Task option.
- Though there is only one discord.exe process, in some cases, user can see multiple discord.exe processes.
- So, you have to repeat this process if you have multiple discord.exe processes in that list.
After completing the tasks, you have to close the Task Manager and relaunch the app. Hopefully, it will help you out.
Method 2: Delete Data Application Contents
In case you noticed that the above method won’t work, then, you can try out this method. Here, you have to uninstall and reinstall the Discord App. As per some users, it worked to fix the glitch, so, you can also try out this alternative method. Here are the steps, which you have to perform.
- At first, you have to hold down the Windows key and press R at the same time to launch the Run dialog box.
- In this box, you have to type the appwiz.cpl and hit Enter to continue.
- Now, you have to find the Discord app from the list. After that, choose the Discord app and for any additional prompt, you have to tap on the confirm option.
- Once done, if you notice that Discord can’t be uninstalled because it already is running, then don’t be frustrated, you can use method 1 to kill the process and uninstall this particular application.
- After that, you will be able to see the Discord app will be uninstalled.
- Now, you have to press and hold down the Windows key and the R key at the same time.
- The Run dialogue box will open.
- In this dialogue box, you have to type the %appdata% and hit Enter to continue. If you are not able to continue, then you need to perform these tasks.
- At first, you have to tap and hold down the Windows key and E at the same time.
- Now, you have to choose the option View from the top.
- Once done, you have to make the box be checked against Hidden items option. Try to perform step 1 and 2 now.
- Again, you have to find the Discord folder and right click on it. Now, choose the Delete option. Next, you have to confirm the additional prompts.
- Now, you have to reboot your device.
- You have to reinstall the Discord App when you log in again.
- After performing this reinstall process it will fix the issues with applications.
Method 3: Run System File Checker
You can also run the system file checker to resolve this matter without any hassle. Try to follow the steps mentioned below.
- At first, you have to tap on the Start button.
- Now, you have to type “command” in the search box and hit Enter to continue.
- Now, you will see a black box will appear with a blinking cursor.
- Here, you have to type the sfc /scannow” and hit Enter to continue.
Once done, your computer will start running the system file checking process. It will also resolve this matter without any hassle.
Method 4: Repair Registry Entries
You can also repair registry entries in order to resolve this matter. Try to follow these steps.
- At first, you have to tap on the Start button.
- Once done, you have to type “command” in the search box. But in this case, do not hit Enter.
- Now, hold down the CTRL-Shift on your keyboard at the same time. And then, hit Enter to continue.
- You will see a permission dialogue box. Now, you have to tap on the Yes button.
- Now, you will see a black box will open with a blinking cursor.
- In this box, you have to type “regedit” and hit ENTER to continue.
- Now in the registry editor, you have to choose discord error related keys, which you want to back up.
- From the File menu, you have to select the Export option.
- In the Save In list, you have to select the folder where you have to save the backup keys.
- Now, in the File Name Box, you have to type a name for your backup file, like “iTunes Backup”.
- After that, in the Export Range box, you have to be sure that the “Selected branch” is selected.
- Now, tap on the Save button.
- Once done, the file will be saved with a .reg file extension.
In this way, you will have a backup of your iTunes-related registry entry.
After performing these steps, check whether you have eliminated the error or not.
Method 5: Perform Task Kill ( Alternative)
You can also perform task kill operation in order to resolve this matter. It is an alternative method of method 1. To perform this action, you have to follow these steps:
- At first, you have to tap and hold down the Windows key and R at the same time.
- Now, you will see the Run dialogue box will open.
- In this dialogue box, you have to type cmd as well as hit Enter to continue.
- Now, you have to type taskkill /F /IM discord.exe and hit Enter to continue.
In this way, you will be able to resolve this matter.
Method 6: Login Using Web Version
You can also login to the discord, without using the application. As this error can occur due to the session or cookies, more than one user has solved this issue by signing in from the web as well as from the Windows app version. Try out these steps:
- At first, you have to run the discord application in the desktop.
- In case, you notice that it does not start or shows up the grey screen, then, you have to run the web version of Discord and sign in.
- Now, it will most probably reset the account which is situated in the discord application. After that, it will start running normally.
In this way, you will be able to troubleshoot this error without any hassle.
Summing It Up
Throughout this article, experts have provided a step by step guide using which, you will be able to resolve this matter without any hassle. In case, if you encounter any kind of system glitches while performing these steps, you can leave a comment in the comment section.